Things you have recently learnt

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,730
    Well given he got exiled from German unis for making that case for a decade or so (hence ending up teaching in the UK) it hardly went down well in Germany either
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,692
    morstar said:
    A gulag, sorry residential school run by Kaflik kiddy fiddlers. Whodathunk there would be bodies? Humans can be total a-holes.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,637
    morstar said:
    The whole residential school thing is seen, quite rightly, as a national shame in Canada.
  • rick_chasey
    edited May 2021
    The challenge in Germany is the state has set a precedent for compensation to families of victims of genocides committed by the German state with the Jews, so Herero and Nama obviously would like the same.

German state is not doing that, so the colonial mentality is still there.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,358
    edited May 2021
    In what way is the current generation of any people responsible for Genocide dating back say, 75 years or more?

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rick_chasey
    pinno said:

In what way is the current generation of any people responsible for Genocide dating back say, 75 years or more?

Do you think there should be a time limit?

So basically because Germany decided to admit they had in fact committed genocide much longer after the fact vs the Holocaust doesn’t have to pay for the genocide in Namibia?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,687
    pinno said:

It's the state that is being held responsible, not individuals.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pinno
    rjsterry said:

pinno said:

Okay, so why is the state responsible?

• rick_chasey
    pinno said:

rjsterry said:

pinno said:

Because the German state ran the genocide?

They literally admit it themselves.
  • pinno

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

pinno said:

The individuals that make up the 'German state' are not responsible for the genocide.

Where is this money going?
    Who will that benefit?
    How many individuals are directly affected by historical events that go date far back?

Would it not be far better and more progressive to support former colonies in terms of; the provision of health & medicine (end the collective pharmaceutical cartel), education, transport & communication and trade?

I accept the need to acknowledge certain historical events but I do not know what good direct monetary compensation will do. There are no survivors from the era of the Namibian genocide.

Where do we draw the line?

• pinno
    edited May 2021
    I really ought to buy that poster of Emperor Claudius, stick it on the wall and throw darts at it.
  • rjsterry
    pinno said:

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

pinno said:

The individuals that make up the 'German state' are not responsible for the genocide.

Who will that benefit?
    How many individuals are directly affected by historical events that go date far back?

Would it not be far better and more progressive to support former colonies in terms of; the provision of health & medicine (end the collective pharmaceutical cartel), education, transport & communication and trade?

I accept the need to acknowledge certain historical events but I do not know what good direct monetary compensation will do. There are no survivors from the era of the Namibian genocide.

What? The state is distinct from the individual citizens, just as a corporation is distinct from the people who own shares. In this example, the German state still exists and can be held responsible. The Roman Empire does not.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,582
    I understand admitting it and apologising. Arguing over a financial settlement years later feels wrong though.
  • andy_f
    andy_f Posts: 474

What? The state is distinct from the individual citizens, just as a corporation is distinct from the people who own shares. In this example, the German state still exists and can be held responsible. The Roman Empire does not.

If a state is distinct from its citizens where does the money come from for reparation? If a corporation is distinct from its shareholders and goes under then the shareholders should get all their investment back?
    "Let your life rule your job, not your job rule your life"

Born to ride, forced to work.
  • rick_chasey
    edited May 2021
    Pross said:

I understand admitting it and apologising. Arguing over a financial settlement years later feels wrong though.

You can see the argument.

The Germans gave reparations to Jews so why is this different?

By giving reparations to Jews but not Herero or Nama the German govt is basically saying they value Jews more than Nama or Herero.

So if you are against reparations then presumably you are also against the reparations the relations of Holocaust victims received.

If you are not then why the inconsistency?

It is only a matter of decades different.
  • rick_chasey
    edited May 2021
    pinno said:

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

pinno said:

Who will that benefit?

So the amount calculated for the entire genocide is roughly the same as Germany has given aid to Namibia since the the genocide.

I feel like you guys are rather undercooking what admitting **genocide** actually means.

Genocide. Actual genocide. The epitome of evil.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,791

Pross said:

By giving reparations to Jews but not Herero or Nama the German govt is basically saying they value Jews more than Nama or Herero.

So if you are against reparations then presumably you are also against the reparations the relations of Holocaust victims received.

The lessons learned for other countries is that it is a can of worms best left unopened.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    edited May 2021
    pblakeney said:

Pross said:

The lessons learned for other countries is that it is a can of worms best left unopened.
    You’d kinda hope the lesson learned is don’t be genocidal but people seem to want to let states off the hook on that one.

It’s a fairly morally unambiguous issue here.

You may be interested to learn (on thread...) that the Germans learned a lot on how to do genocide from their experiences in Namibia.

In fact the entire lebensraum bit was really solidified in the public mind during their colonial experiences

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,692
    1943. Bengal. Churchill. Anyone? No? Just ignore and move on then.
  • rick_chasey
    edited May 2021
    orraloon said:

Pino is *very* defensive of any accusations of British bad behaviour in the colonies.

A historian rather more rated than me (hah) makes the not unreasonable point that the colonial history shouldn’t really be about condemnation or celebration but just knowing what actually happened.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,637

orraloon said:

Pino is *very* defensive of any accusations of British bad behaviour in the colonies.

A historian rather more rated than me (hah) makes the not unreasonable point that the colonial history shouldn’t really be about condemnation or celebration but just knowing what actually happened.
    Most people seem to make that point, but you don't seem to follow that approach.
  • rick_chasey

orraloon said:

Most people seem to make that point, but you don't seem to follow that approach.
    Yeah I think it should be condemned.

Shame about the past doesn’t help but acknowledging what happened would likely lead most people to think what happened was pretty bad all things considered.

I feel no shame personally. Why should I?

But we spend a lot of time condemning the Holocaust etc so I like to see that applied with equal prejudice elsewhere.
  • pblakeney
    edited May 2021

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

You’d kinda hope the lesson learned is don’t be genocidal but people seem to want to let states off the hook on that one.

You may be interested to learn (on thread...) that the Germans learned a lot on how to do genocide from their experiences in Namibia.

In fact the entire lebensraum bit was really solidified in the public mind during their colonial experiences

There are a lot of lessons to be learned. One is that handing over cash doesn't overwrite history. Next will be a claim of white washing.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rjsterry
    edited May 2021
    andy_f said:

rjsterry said:

If a state is distinct from its citizens where does the money come from for reparation? If a corporation is distinct from its shareholders and goes under then the shareholders should get all their investment back?
    The state. The reference to a corporation was just to illustrate the point about a state being a separate legal entity in its own right. Citizens are not shareholders.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    edited May 2021
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

There are a lot of lessons to be learned. One is that handing over cash doesn't overwrite history. Next will be a claim of white washing.
    No-one claimed it does. "What's done is done" is a pretty weak argument for not offering some form of compensation, though. The alternative is that governments cannot be held responsible for anything.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

Germany compensated Jews for the 1940-1945s genocide but not the Herero and Nama genocide for the 1904-1908 genocide.

Why the difference?
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

Germany compensated Jews for the 1940-1945s genocide but not the Herero and Nama genocide for the 1904-1908 genocide.

Why the difference?
    Ask the Germans. How would I know?
    Just to save you time, I don't really care.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

Why the difference?
    Ask the Germans. How would I know?
    Just to save you time, I don't really care.
    I think it is a fairly strong argument on part of Nama and Herero wouldn’t you say?
  • pinno

orraloon said:

Incorrect.

I get incensed by the misrepresentation of facts.
    I have discussed in depth flawed moral relativism.

I presented a counter idea that former colonies need more than a monetary payment (which conveniently relinquishes a contrived collective guilt) but you didn't even consider it.

What I find odd, is that you get more animated over historical events than you do over say, Yemen or the displaced people in and from Syria, or the massacres that took place recently in Burma, or the slow curtailment of free speech and democracy in Hong Kong.
    There are plenty of current contemporary examples of genocide, torture and oppression that we should be taking more notice of.