Things you have recently learnt

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,266

morstar said:

Oh, I very much see his point.

Rick however will still think they’re all old fossils with one foot in their facist graves at those ages.
    I have no idea who these people are
    Bob Dylan on the left, a Beatle on the right. They're quite famous.

They teamed up with three other old codger musicians (the blind guy, the guy who did Mr Blue Skies and someone much more famous in America) to dick around in a studio and make boring music for themselves. But they weren't really ancient.
  • Professional snooker player Bill Werbeniuk, famed in the 80's for his consumption of lager during matches to counteract a nervous condition (and for successfully claiming the cost as tax deductible) once won a drinking contest when his opponent passed out after 42 pints. After winning, he remarked "I'm off to the bar now for a proper drink."
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Lol the Beatles are almost 60 years ago.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646

morstar said:

Rick however will still think they’re all old fossils with one foot in their facist graves at those ages.

One of them looks like Bob Dylan
    Buy the album (in vinyl). You will be surprised that he doesn't sound like Bob Dylan. They all sound like an ELO tribute band, other than Roy Orbison who sounds like he has been joined for an impromptu medley with an ELO tribute band.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    That people worry about stretching the shoulder straps on their bib shorts by hanging them on the washing line. Do they also worry they might stretch them by putting the straps over their shoulders.
  • rick_chasey

morstar said:

Buy the album (in vinyl). You will be surprised that he doesn't sound like Bob Dylan. They all sound like an ELO tribute band, other than Roy Orbison who sounds like he has been joined for an impromptu medley with an ELO tribute band.
    I only know ELO as multiple sexagenarian bosses have banged on about them. Google tells me they were big 45 years ago.
  • First.Aspect

morstar said:

I only know ELO as multiple sexagenarian bosses have banged on about them. Google tells me they were big 45 years ago.
    In time you will realise that all of the best music was made before you were born.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Four of the musicians in that photo were younger then than Liam Gallagher is now

Rick, you've heard of Liam Gallagher?

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,931

morstar said:

I did several concerts with a cellist who'd been a member of ELO. He was the loveliest, quietest man, tragically killed when a round bale of hay rolled off a sloping field onto his van as he drove along the road. I must admit that until I saw his obituary, I'd neither realised he'd been in the band, nor listened to them.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,416

morstar said:

I did several concerts with a cellist who'd been a member of ELO. He was the loveliest, quietest man, tragically killed when a round bale of hay rolled off a sloping field onto his van as he drove along the road. I must admit that until I saw his obituary, I'd neither realised he'd been in the band, nor listened to them.
    Are you familiar with Penguin cafe orchestra?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • kingstongraham

Four of the musicians in that photo were younger then than Liam Gallagher is now

To be fair, he'd done his best work by the age of 23, and that was a long time ago.

The real message to take is - I'm actually old.
  • kingstongraham

You've heard of Mozart?
  • briantrumpet
    seanoconn said:

morstar said:

Never heard it or of it.
  • Only two of the Travelling Wilburys are still alive. Bob Dylan (79) and Jeff Lynne (73).
  • kingstongraham

seanoconn said:

morstar said:

Never heard it or of it.
    You might have heard this in a film somewhere:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJg1NNyke2E
  • seanoconn
    edited May 2021

To be fair, he'd done his best work by the age of 23, and that was a long time ago.

Difficult to find solid research but the creativity well seems to dry up at a relatively early age for musical artists. Why can’t the best bands or solo artists write anything remotely reasonable in their later years? Lack of mind bending drugs? Or does the brain deteriorate that much 😔
  • briantrumpet
    seanoconn said:

Difficult to find solid research but the creativity well seems to dry up at a relatively early age for musical artists. Why can’t the best bands or solo artists write anything remotely reasonable in their later years? Lack of mind bending drugs? Or does the brain deteriorate that much 😔

Too many examples to disprove that... Miles Davis constantly reinventing himself, for starters...
  • First.Aspect

And yet you've heard of them.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    seanoconn said:

I give you...

The frog chorus.

That was a step into the unpredictable for sure.
  • kingstongraham
    seanoconn said:

For a lot, it's probably they can't do anything very different, so just end up churning out poor versions of the same thing.

I really liked some stuff (e.g. I Contain Multitudes) from Bob Dylan's last album, so there's some who can keep going forever.
  • rick_chasey

You've heard of Mozart?
    Sure, time erodes most musicians and leaves only the top ones.

Just think what 60 year old music sounded like to the Beatles when they were writing their first hit records.
  • rick_chasey

I was a very big oasis fan as a child.
  • seanoconn

seanoconn said:

morstar said:

Never heard it or of it.
    You won’t care that I know the violinist then 😂
  • kingstongraham

You've heard of Mozart?

Just think what 60 year old music sounded like to the Beatles when they were writing their first hit records.
    Absolutely. Music made before John Lennon was born would have been stuff like Glenn Miller. I don't think anyone from Lennon's generation would have been listening to that in the 90s.

The Beatles split up before I was born.
  • briantrumpet

You've heard of Mozart?

Absolutely. Music made before John Lennon was born would have been stuff like Glenn Miller. I don't think anyone from Lennon's generation would have been listening to that in the 90s.

The Beatles split up before I was born.

It's hard to imagine that swing music in the 1930s was considered by older folk to be as 'dangerous' as any later 'pop' music, and that it was seen as hastening the breakdown of decent society.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,698

morstar said:

In time you will realise that all of the best music was made before you were born.
    I mean nearly all music was made before any of us were born. 😏
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • kingstongraham
    FWIW, I listen to virtually nothing from the 60s or 70s except The Beatles. It's generally not stood the test of time.

But I could watch this on a loop.

The Beatles - Rooftop Concert from Lennon-McCartney on Vimeo.

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866

seanoconn said:

For a lot, it's probably they can't do anything very different, so just end up churning out poor versions of the same thing.

I really liked some stuff (e.g. I Contain Multitudes) from Bob Dylan's last album, so there's some who can keep going forever.
    The best theory that I have read was that by the time a band breaks through they have a back catalogue of unpublished songs but once they have released that they are on the treadmill of churning out an annual album
  • kingstongraham
    Also, "Homeward Bound", for example, would be very different if it started "I'm sitting in a chauffered car, my private jet has a well stocked bar hmmmm. On a tour of concert halls, my luggage is by Aspinals, and every stop is neatly planned, so my pilot knows just where to land."
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,329

seanoconn said:

The best theory that I have read was that by the time a band breaks through they have a back catalogue of unpublished songs but once they have released that they are on the treadmill of churning out an annual album
    When JJ Cale got a record deal with his first album the record company asked for another one next year. He told them they must be joking that one had taken him 8 years. I don't think he was keen on working too hard, when asked if he was jealous Clapton had more success than him with 2 of his songs he replied "not at all, I haven't had to work in 12 years"