Forum home Road cycling forum The cake stop

Things you have recently learnt

1222324252628»

Posts

  • rjsterryrjsterry Posts: 18,217
    Floella Benjamin is 71 today.

    You're welcome.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

    Liberal metropolitan, remoaner, traitor, "sympathiser", etc.
  • pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 13,102

    orraloon said:

    That (an) Arab Strap, the Scottish band with the shall I say down to basics lyrics, is also a sexual device, indeed a C ring. Who knew? Not me obvs.

    I'd always just assumed they were Dundee United fans.

    Still, in the music world nothing would surprise me: I'm a bit of a closet ZZ top fan and I long ago just started assuming that more or less every lyric was a double entendre.
    I am assuming that you are familiar with AC/DC lyrics?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ProssPross Posts: 24,233
    pblakeney said:

    orraloon said:

    That (an) Arab Strap, the Scottish band with the shall I say down to basics lyrics, is also a sexual device, indeed a C ring. Who knew? Not me obvs.

    I'd always just assumed they were Dundee United fans.

    Still, in the music world nothing would surprise me: I'm a bit of a closet ZZ top fan and I long ago just started assuming that more or less every lyric was a double entendre.
    I am assuming that you are familiar with AC/DC lyrics?
    I'm not sure there's much double entendre in 'she told me to come but I was already there'!
  • pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 13,102
    edited 23 September
    Pross said:

    pblakeney said:

    orraloon said:

    That (an) Arab Strap, the Scottish band with the shall I say down to basics lyrics, is also a sexual device, indeed a C ring. Who knew? Not me obvs.

    I'd always just assumed they were Dundee United fans.

    Still, in the music world nothing would surprise me: I'm a bit of a closet ZZ top fan and I long ago just started assuming that more or less every lyric was a double entendre.
    I am assuming that you are familiar with AC/DC lyrics?
    I'm not sure there's much double entendre in 'she told me to come but I was already there'!
    Depends on how your mind works! 😉
    Nobody mentioned subtlety. 🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 42,196
    ZZ Top - great band. Even if they weren't, the videos were worth watching anyway.
    Whippet
    Bruiser
    Panzer
    Commuter

    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpetbriantrumpet Posts: 5,130
    rjsterry said:

    Floella Benjamin is 71 today.

    You're welcome.


    I directed the music for about 200 graduations while she was chancellor of Exeter University. She was amazing, didn't miss a single ceremony, and hadn't really aged since she was on Play School. She's the loveliest person.
  • rick_chaseyrick_chasey Posts: 50,631 Lives Here
  • tailwindhometailwindhome Posts: 15,484
    Charles and Diana were the same height.

    Believe that a farther shore
    Is reachable from here.
    Believe in miracles
    And cures and healing wells
  • rjsterryrjsterry Posts: 18,217

    rjsterry said:

    Floella Benjamin is 71 today.

    You're welcome.


    I directed the music for about 200 graduations while she was chancellor of Exeter University. She was amazing, didn't miss a single ceremony, and hadn't really aged since she was on Play School. She's the loveliest person.
    Indeed. I'm pretty sure there must be a painting in an attic or something, though.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

    Liberal metropolitan, remoaner, traitor, "sympathiser", etc.
  • tailwindhometailwindhome Posts: 15,484
    Leaving a job and preparing handover notes is a right PITA
    Believe that a farther shore
    Is reachable from here.
    Believe in miracles
    And cures and healing wells
  • TheBigBeanTheBigBean Posts: 10,920

    Leaving a job and preparing handover notes is a right PITA

    What's your next industry going to be if you are resigning from the post of BR's NI hospitality expert?
  • tailwindhometailwindhome Posts: 15,484

    Leaving a job and preparing handover notes is a right PITA

    What's your next industry going to be if you are resigning from the post of BR's NI hospitality expert?
    Drinks supplier, so tangential to the hospitality trade.

    Ideally I'd have been looking to go to a bigger hotel property but scoop is rather limited in NI

    Believe that a farther shore
    Is reachable from here.
    Believe in miracles
    And cures and healing wells
  • tailwindhometailwindhome Posts: 15,484
    Miss Piggy's surname is Lee.
    Believe that a farther shore
    Is reachable from here.
    Believe in miracles
    And cures and healing wells
  • briantrumpetbriantrumpet Posts: 5,130
    That chimneys like the below were later additions (16th/17th century) to houses to replace what were essentially holes in the roofs of medieval houses, and became a status symbol, hence their visibility. I hadn't realised quite how late 'proper' fireplaces & chimneys were.


  • capt_slogcapt_slog Posts: 3,388
    rjsterry said:

    rjsterry said:

    Floella Benjamin is 71 today.

    You're welcome.


    I directed the music for about 200 graduations while she was chancellor of Exeter University. She was amazing, didn't miss a single ceremony, and hadn't really aged since she was on Play School. She's the loveliest person.
    Indeed. I'm pretty sure there must be a painting in an attic or something, though.
    Thinking back to Playschool, I'm not sure what it will look like :)


    The older I get, the better I was.

  • dennisndennisn Posts: 10,458
    That YOU are the only person that cares about YOUR Strava stats. Having to listen to ANYONE going on about their Strava stats has got to be the most boring thing in cycling.
  • Liopleurodon wasn't as large as was originally thought.
    I'm not a racist! My f'in car is black!
  • Ben6899Ben6899 Posts: 7,706
    Yesterday, I learnt that there's a beauty salon at the Archway end of the Junction Road, called... "Stasi".

    I'm not letting those people anywhere near my fingernails.
    Ben

    Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
  • morstarmorstar Posts: 3,397
    Ben6899 said:

    Yesterday, I learnt that there's a beauty salon at the Archway end of the Junction Road, called... "Stasi".

    I'm not letting those people anywhere near my fingernails.

    Probably one of those scenarios where somebody just thought it sounded exotic.

    I think it is the Aussie sitcom Cath and Kim where they try to come up with an exotic name for a child and one of them suggests Chlamydia.
  • orraloonorraloon Posts: 6,941
    morstar said:

    Ben6899 said:

    Yesterday, I learnt that there's a beauty salon at the Archway end of the Junction Road, called... "Stasi".

    I'm not letting those people anywhere near my fingernails.

    Probably one of those scenarios where somebody just thought it sounded exotic.

    I think it is the Aussie sitcom Cath and Kim where they try to come up with an exotic name for a child and one of them suggests Chlamydia.
    Isn't that the name of Rees-Smug's sister?
  • Ben6899Ben6899 Posts: 7,706
    edited 31 October
    morstar said:

    Ben6899 said:

    Yesterday, I learnt that there's a beauty salon at the Archway end of the Junction Road, called... "Stasi".

    I'm not letting those people anywhere near my fingernails.

    Probably one of those scenarios where somebody just thought it sounded exotic.

    I think it is the Aussie sitcom Cath and Kim where they try to come up with an exotic name for a child and one of them suggests Chlamydia.

    And then they settle on "Chardonnay", but "the aitch is soilent".
    Ben

    Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
  • mrb123mrb123 Posts: 2,642
    What GOP means (and it isn't Greatest Orange President)
  • dennisndennisn Posts: 10,458
    I've learned that people who do their own repairs never let it enter their minds that the problem they have is their own fault. Everything is either broken, factory reject, needs carbon paste, or needs to be replaced with ceramic bearings.
  • rjsterryrjsterry Posts: 18,217
    The red colour of Ruby grapefruits is the result of a genetic mutation caused by irradiating the plants.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

    Liberal metropolitan, remoaner, traitor, "sympathiser", etc.
Sign In or Register to comment.