Zwift - does it get better?

13»

Comments

• zest28
    zest28 Posts: 403
    jgsi said:

I’m a Zwifter. Fairly addicted over winter, using a decent Direto trainer.
    I have enough kicks being a regular commuter, utility cyclist.
    riding outdoors keeps it real, even though it knackers the bike up in this weather.
    You cannot describe yourself as a cyclist if all you do is indoors.
    End of.

No offense, but I am pretty sure you are less of a cyclist then some people who only ride on Zwift.

There is a very famous pro who only rides on Zwift. The only time he rides outdoors is during races / world championships.

His real world performance over 180km during an Iron man race.
    - average speed of 26 mph / 42 kmh solo (so without drafting in groups like Tour de France riders do).
    - average power of 4.25 W/kg or around 310 Watts over 180km distance.

The funny thing is, he was holding back despite riding at 26 mph / 42 kmh for over 4 hours as he had to run a full marathon after that 180 km ride.

This Zwift rider basically goes as fast as Tour de France riders who ride in huge groups (so they draft which is super easy). But he does it solo.
  • zest28
    zest28 Posts: 403
    Really, people who say Zwift is crap have no idea what they are talking about.

If Zwift was so bad, some pro’s who are at the top-elite level (like 2nd at the world championships) would not choose to strictly ride on Zwift only.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    zest28 said:

jgsi said:

riding outdoors keeps it real, even though it knackers the bike up in this weather.
    End of.

No offense, but I am pretty sure you are less of a cyclist then some people who only ride on Zwift.

There is a very famous pro who only rides on Zwift. The only time he rides outdoors is during races / world championships.

- average speed of 26 mph / 42 kmh solo (so without drafting in groups like Tour de France riders do).

The funny thing is, he was holding back despite riding at 26 mph / 42 kmh for over 4 hours as he had to run a full marathon after that 180 km ride.

This Zwift rider basically goes as fast as Tour de France riders who ride in huge groups (so they draft which is super easy). But he does it solo.
    I think you are talking at cross purposes.

If your famous pro (triathlete) "only rides outdoors is during races / world championships" he doesn't "only ride on Zwift". He rides on Zwift in order to ride better outdoors, albeit not very often.

The question of whether you can call yourself a cyclist if you only ride indoors needen't be judgemental, it's an interesting question that you could validly answer either way depending on how you define cycling.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Is a kid on a PS4, 5 or whatever playing F1 a real racing driver?
    For me using Zwift is a necessary evil. Choose your own definition, but when I'm out doing 50 or 60 miles against a howling wind and sub zero windchill on filthy roads during the winter, I certainly feel more like a real cyclist ;)
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    neeb said:

zest28 said:

jgsi said:

End of.

I think you are talking at cross purposes.

If your famous pro (triathlete) "only rides outdoors is during races / world championships" he doesn't "only ride on Zwift". He rides on Zwift in order to ride better outdoors, albeit not very often.

The question of whether you can call yourself a cyclist if you only ride indoors needen't be judgemental, it's an interesting question that you could validly answer either way depending on how you define cycling.

According to at least one dictionary, cycling is "the sport or activity of riding a bicycle."

Now, from what I've seen, most people using Zwift are riding a bicycle. It may not be going anywhere but it fits the definition.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,254
    Tell me this guy isn't running! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSp1r1QhUSY
  • neeb
    Tricky, isn’t it? No right answers..

Are you really “riding” a bike if it isn’t moving? Are you riding a horse if you are sitting on it and it’s standing still ignoring you?
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,926
    neeb said:

Are you really “riding” a bike if it isn’t moving? Are you riding a horse if you are sitting on it and it’s standing still ignoring you?

Except when you're Zwifting you aren't just sitting on the bike are you.....
  • neeb

neeb said:

Except when you're Zwifting you aren't just sitting on the bike are you.....
    But you're not really controlling it either, as a vehicle.

From Oxford Dictionary (one of several definitions of "ride"): "to sit on something such as a bicycle, motorbike, or horse and travel along on it controlling its movements".

I think there's a better argument for saying you are cycling on Zwift than that you are riding.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I'm pretty bloody glad we have Zwift now. It will help my sanity no end.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,254
    I hope they are ready for the increase in usage.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Knowing what it's been like previously I highly doubt it.

I'm working from home from now on, so I'll be using it a fair bit. Still going outside for rides when I get the chance (going to try and simulate my commute every morning outside)