Zwift - does it get better?

2»

Posts

  • rdtrdt Posts: 865
    phreak wrote:
    When you say you're using it via your phone, do you mean the Android app? In which case, I don't think you'll see any of the worlds you're in, which seems a rather limited version of the program to me.

    I think I acknowledged that up front:
      "last week I got a new Android phone that can run Zwift so gave it a whirl

      I was a bit underwhelmed, but I realise there were a few things less than ideal:
      - Tiny phone screen"



      For sure, any sense of immersion isn't going to be great on a tiny screen(!), so that was definitely a factor...

      But once over the novelty factor simply riding around in Zwift felt pretty "pointless" for me, in a way that doing a structured interval w/o as part of a TR plan doesn't (NB fully accepting that "everything is ultimately pointless", so I'm talking degrees of pointlessness :lol: ).

      After thinking about it, and based on feedback here, I suspect Zwift races or competitive group rides of some sort would be more appealing to me.

      NB I'm not knocking Zwift here. We all like different stuff, and fortunately there's loads of options available to us.
      ----
    • phreakphreak Posts: 2,023
      rdt wrote:
      phreak wrote:
      When you say you're using it via your phone, do you mean the Android app? In which case, I don't think you'll see any of the worlds you're in, which seems a rather limited version of the program to me.

      I think I acknowledged that up front:
        "last week I got a new Android phone that can run Zwift so gave it a whirl

        I was a bit underwhelmed, but I realise there were a few things less than ideal:
        - Tiny phone screen"



        For sure, any sense of immersion isn't going to be great on a tiny screen(!), so that was definitely a factor...

        But once over the novelty factor simply riding around in Zwift felt pretty "pointless" for me, in a way that doing a structured interval w/o as part of a TR plan doesn't (NB fully accepting that "everything is ultimately pointless", so I'm talking degrees of pointlessness :lol: ).

        After thinking about it, and based on feedback here, I suspect Zwift races or competitive group rides of some sort would be more appealing to me.

        NB I'm not knocking Zwift here. We all like different stuff, and fortunately there's loads of options available to us.

        They're completely different though. The mobile app is akin to watching a football match via teletext. It's called a companion app for a reason :-)

        You can do structured workouts via it very easily (about half of my riding there is thus), and ultimately it's what you can look at that takes your mind off being indoors on the trainer.
      • rdtrdt Posts: 865
        phreak wrote:
        They're completely different though. The mobile app is akin to watching a football match via teletext. It's called a companion app for a reason :-)

        You've got the wrong end of the stick here! I'm running the full Zwift app, not the companion app... :shock:

        phreak wrote:
        You can do structured workouts via it very easily (about half of my riding there is thus), and ultimately it's what you can look at that takes your mind off being indoors on the trainer.

        As mentioned before, not currently interested in Zwift for structured training as I have TR for that job.
        ----
      • phreakphreak Posts: 2,023
        Ah, beg your pardon.
      • fenixfenix Posts: 4,739
        If you have TR for your structured workouts then why would you pay to just ride round ? Just put on whatever floats your boat from the internet. Eurosport or race footage on youtube or movies.
      • fenixfenix Posts: 4,739
        Swapped the road bike for a mountain bike last night in Zwift and did the offroad course. I thought it would be a gimmick beforehand but I really enjoyed it. Decent workout and really immersive. It's only a very small segment but with a steep climb on it - well worth a look.

        https://zwiftinsider.com/find-zwifts-ne ... ng-course/
      • stevejmo7stevejmo7 Posts: 68
        I got Zwift to try to motivate myself over winter. Last year I rode outdoors three times and once this year. Both years I rode something like 345 days on Zwift - love the group rides where I sweep and the Thursday team time trials are superb.
        I must say goodbye to the blindfold
        And pursue the ideal
        The planet becoming the hostess
        Instead of the meal
        Roy Harper - 'Burn the World'
      • fenixfenix Posts: 4,739
        Blimey. You must be fit as a flea. But why so few outside rides ?
      • sopworthsopworth Posts: 190
        Second hand 32" TV from Gumtree for £30. In the garage with laptop hooked up....sweet.
        I love Zwift but I only do workouts and races - mainly races though. I used to spend hours just cycling around the maps but I just find that way to boring now.
        Races are great and I feel like i've really had a top work out. I know they are not the best form of structured racing but I love them and will do them all winter with a few other workouts thrown in.
        I do think many of the Zwift training plans are well below par compared to Trainerroad, and I doubt you would get much improvement if you followed ones like 'FTP builder' IMO.
        Zwift companion App on your phone is essential too. Plan races/group rides in advance and have a good idea of expected turn out.
      • fenixfenix Posts: 4,739
        I'd be surprised if Zwift can't get a basic FTP training program right.

        It's hardly rocket science is it? Pretty much everyone on here has improved their fitness with a bit of training haven't they ?

        If they can set up a global platform for online cycling and create many virtual worlds then I don't see why they'd not be able to put together a training plan.
      • rdtrdt Posts: 865
        edited 27 November
        rdt said:

        I've been using TrainerRoad for 18 months or so for structured training, am quite happy with it, and keep an annual subs for use throughout the year, which I use a lot.



        A background plan has been to add in a bit of Zwift during the darker months, but I've been in no hurry...


        I'm the OP, and the above quote is how I began the thread.

        To wrap this up, I've abandoned that notional background plan to add in some Zwifting over the winter...

        A few reasons combined, the key ones being:
        * now in the midst of a TR mid-volume plan, it doesn't leave much (read any) slack to accommodate additional workload;
        * after kicking the tyres a bit I've found Zwift to not really float my boat and suit my requirements - horses for courses innit.

        Had a budget set to buy some new AV kit to run it on, so that's a nice bonus - will stick the loot towards another cycling holiday somewhere warm and sunny. :)
        ----
      • dannbodgedannbodge Posts: 715
        I'm in much the same boat.
        Zwift was great when I wanted to do workouts but didn't really have a plan.

        Now I've got a training plan to stick to, I'm spending 99% of the time on Sufferfest instead.
      • fenix said:

        Blimey. You must be fit as a flea. But why so few outside rides ?

        don't see any advantage to riding outdoors - lots of virtual friends & race for a team on Zwift - many reasons not to ride outdoors - weather, 4 x 4 drivers, Audis, BMWs, squirrels potholes etc etc
        I must say goodbye to the blindfold
        And pursue the ideal
        The planet becoming the hostess
        Instead of the meal
        Roy Harper - 'Burn the World'
      • cruffcruff Posts: 1,368
        stevejmo7 said:

        fenix said:

        Blimey. You must be fit as a flea. But why so few outside rides ?

        don't see any advantage to riding outdoors - lots of virtual friends & race for a team on Zwift - many reasons not to ride outdoors - weather, 4 x 4 drivers, Audis, BMWs, squirrels potholes etc etc
        I find this bizarre. No offence, but Zwift racing is ridiculous. It doesn't even remotely resemble real life racing. It will keep you fit, for sure - but I just don't get the mindset of someone who would choose to ride indoors at the expense of outdoors.

        And that's coming from someone who is on a Zwift team, and who uses Zwift extensively - and does almost all their winter training on it
        Fat chopper. Some racing. Some testing. Some crashing.
        Specialising in Git Daaahns and Cafs. Transplanted Laaandoner.
      • fenixfenix Posts: 4,739
        stevejmo7 said:

        fenix said:

        Blimey. You must be fit as a flea. But why so few outside rides ?

        don't see any advantage to riding outdoors - lots of virtual friends & race for a team on Zwift - many reasons not to ride outdoors - weather, 4 x 4 drivers, Audis, BMWs, squirrels potholes etc etc
        Saddest post ever.
      • jgsijgsi Posts: 5,031
        I’m a Zwifter. Fairly addicted over winter, using a decent Direto trainer.
        I have enough kicks being a regular commuter, utility cyclist.
        riding outdoors keeps it real, even though it knackers the bike up in this weather.
        You cannot describe yourself as a cyclist if all you do is indoors.
        End of.
      • rdtrdt Posts: 865
        edited 1 December
        jgsi said:

        You cannot describe yourself as a cyclist if all you do is indoors.

        The fella's free to do what he wants. Why should he care what you label him as?

        As in other walks of life: each to their own, live and let live, etc.

        ----
      • cruff said:

        stevejmo7 said:

        fenix said:

        Blimey. You must be fit as a flea. But why so few outside rides ?

        don't see any advantage to riding outdoors - lots of virtual friends & race for a team on Zwift - many reasons not to ride outdoors - weather, 4 x 4 drivers, Audis, BMWs, squirrels potholes etc etc
        I find this bizarre. No offence, but Zwift racing is ridiculous. It doesn't even remotely resemble real life racing. It will keep you fit, for sure - but I just don't get the mindset of someone who would choose to ride indoors at the expense of outdoors.

        And that's coming from someone who is on a Zwift team, and who uses Zwift extensively - and does almost all their winter training on it
        Zwift racing is incredible - TTT pushes me harder than any other session. Great company
        I must say goodbye to the blindfold
        And pursue the ideal
        The planet becoming the hostess
        Instead of the meal
        Roy Harper - 'Burn the World'
      • jgsi said:

        I’m a Zwifter. Fairly addicted over winter, using a decent Direto trainer.
        I have enough kicks being a regular commuter, utility cyclist.
        riding outdoors keeps it real, even though it knackers the bike up in this weather.
        You cannot describe yourself as a cyclist if all you do is indoors.
        End of.

        Dear oh dear
        I must say goodbye to the blindfold
        And pursue the ideal
        The planet becoming the hostess
        Instead of the meal
        Roy Harper - 'Burn the World'
      • fenix said:

        stevejmo7 said:

        fenix said:

        Blimey. You must be fit as a flea. But why so few outside rides ?

        don't see any advantage to riding outdoors - lots of virtual friends & race for a team on Zwift - many reasons not to ride outdoors - weather, 4 x 4 drivers, Audis, BMWs, squirrels potholes etc etc
        Saddest post ever.
        'Saddest post ever.' even sadder
        I must say goodbye to the blindfold
        And pursue the ideal
        The planet becoming the hostess
        Instead of the meal
        Roy Harper - 'Burn the World'
      • Something else occurred to me re the people who put anti-Zwift comments above. I've ridden with Hannah Barnes, Simon Yates, taken part in a group ride with Mark Cavendish and done three interval sessions with Fabien Cancellara, I doubt they have - also had the opportunity to text them on screen or talk IRL on Discord. Many, if not most, top professional riders use Zwift for varying reasons, but of course, they are not cyclists are they.
        I must say goodbye to the blindfold
        And pursue the ideal
        The planet becoming the hostess
        Instead of the meal
        Roy Harper - 'Burn the World'
      • cruffcruff Posts: 1,368
        stevejmo7 said:

        cruff said:

        stevejmo7 said:

        fenix said:

        Blimey. You must be fit as a flea. But why so few outside rides ?

        don't see any advantage to riding outdoors - lots of virtual friends & race for a team on Zwift - many reasons not to ride outdoors - weather, 4 x 4 drivers, Audis, BMWs, squirrels potholes etc etc
        I find this bizarre. No offence, but Zwift racing is ridiculous. It doesn't even remotely resemble real life racing. It will keep you fit, for sure - but I just don't get the mindset of someone who would choose to ride indoors at the expense of outdoors.

        And that's coming from someone who is on a Zwift team, and who uses Zwift extensively - and does almost all their winter training on it
        Zwift racing is incredible - TTT pushes me harder than any other session. Great company
        But it isn't racing. Like I said it will keep you fit, but it just isn't comparable to racing
        Fat chopper. Some racing. Some testing. Some crashing.
        Specialising in Git Daaahns and Cafs. Transplanted Laaandoner.
      • fenixfenix Posts: 4,739
        stevejmo7 said:

        Something else occurred to me re the people who put anti-Zwift comments above. I've ridden with Hannah Barnes, Simon Yates, taken part in a group ride with Mark Cavendish and done three interval sessions with Fabien Cancellara, I doubt they have - also had the opportunity to text them on screen or talk IRL on Discord. Many, if not most, top professional riders use Zwift for varying reasons, but of course, they are not cyclists are they.

        I'm not anti Zwift - I love it - but if you're not riding out in nature or getting out into the world and having great cake stops - you're missing out.

        All the pro riders you've ridden with - would you have mentioned them if they'd only ever ridden inside ? Big Fat Nope. Get out and ride outside and you can meet them in real life.

      Sign In or Register to comment.