Carbon Clinchers

13»

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Dannbodge wrote:
    Dannbodge wrote:
    and the QR skewers are horrible.

these are well light, look really nice, are a good price and work perfect if you want new skewers. very recommended.

remember that black ones are faster.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WSPXTISTQ ... bon-levers

I've only heard bad things about those ones so I'm looking at these instead.
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/token-tk221-ro ... cut-skewer

I have been using the PX skewers for years and never had a problem with them.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    bobones wrote:
    philbar72 wrote:
    watch for sealing issues and corroded bearings. the seals I have had are flaky at best..
    To be fair, most of the Taiwanese hubs (be they Novatec, Chosen, Bitex, Powerway, etc.) are poorly sealed, although this can be mitigated against by using high quality cartridge bearings and applying grease copiously. Nevertheless, if you use these hubs in the wet then expect to be replacing the bearings relatively frequently if you want them to feel smooth and have no play. I don't think Hunt are any worse than the competition in this respect; the problem I have is they charge a lot more for what amounts to a pretty website, smart logos, nice packaging and a few spare spokes: a triumph of marketing over common sense.

true enough. the bearings are generic and yes I used to coat them in grease. then the pawls went and stopped working. by then they'd don 6000 miles so I binned them and went handbuilt.

anyway if building I prefer hope or dura ace hubs. both are well built and last. my last dura ace freehub failed after 28,000 miles with minimal servicing. hope freehubs are nicer looking!
  • philbar72 wrote:
    bobones wrote:
    philbar72 wrote:
    watch for sealing issues and corroded bearings. the seals I have had are flaky at best..

the problem I have is they charge a lot more for what amounts to a pretty website, smart logos, nice packaging and a few spare spokes: a triumph of marketing over common sense.

true enough. the bearings are generic and yes I used to coat them in grease. then the pawls went and stopped working. by then they'd don 6000 miles so I binned them and went handbuilt.

!

these people talk sense.

Hunt. don't get mugged guys.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • diamonddog wrote:
    Dannbodge wrote:
    Dannbodge wrote:
    and the QR skewers are horrible.

these are well light, look really nice, are a good price and work perfect if you want new skewers. very recommended.

remember that black ones are faster.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WSPXTISTQ ... bon-levers

I've only heard bad things about those ones so I'm looking at these instead.
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/token-tk221-ro ... cut-skewer

I have been using the PX skewers for years and never had a problem with them.

this. 4 different sets on 4 different wheelsets over 12 years and never a problem.

they are also used by loads of people on here who have never had a problem, but its up to you.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I'll reconsider them then.
    I won't be buying any for a while. After next weekend the bike will be back on the turbo for winter.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    philbar72 wrote:
    bobones wrote:
    philbar72 wrote:

the problem I have is they charge a lot more for what amounts to a pretty website, smart logos, nice packaging and a few spare spokes: a triumph of marketing over common sense.

!

these people talk sense.

Hunt used to use Kinlin rims and Novotec hubs, I think they’ve moved on rim wise now. For what they charged for the wheels it was a fair deal. The hubs probably wouldn’t last the longest but new bearings aren’t expensive. Personally I’m a hub snob so tend to get my wheels made for me but lots of people in my club are riding hunt and very happy.

Repetitively bashing Hunt without providing much evidence or data points gets dull quickly.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Stueys wrote:
    philbar72 wrote:
    bobones wrote:
    philbar72 wrote:

!

these people talk sense.

Repetitively bashing Hunt without providing much evidence or data points gets dull quickly.

appreciate that's Matthews view primarily, but mine is factual 6000 miles, dead wheels, not impressed.... they are/ were my worst performing wheels by a huge margin. I've a set of heavier handbuilts that roll better and do everything better. but then again they are on dura ace hubs and have decent heavier gauge spokes.

hope that's as clear as can be. they are an upgrade on something that would be OEM with a £1000 bike, but they aren't great.
  • Stueys wrote:
    philbar72 wrote:
    bobones wrote:
    philbar72 wrote:

!

these people talk sense.

Hunt used to use Kinlin rims and Novotec hubs, I think they’ve moved on rim wise now. For what they charged for the wheels it was a fair deal. The hubs probably wouldn’t last the longest but new bearings aren’t expensive. Personally I’m a hub snob so tend to get my wheels made for me but lots of people in my club are riding hunt and very happy.

the evidence is in the threads and comments here and first hand through bikes I have built that have been tainted with hunt wheels. average wheels, top end prices.

don't get mugged people.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • philbar72 wrote:
    Stueys wrote:
    philbar72 wrote:
    bobones wrote:
    philbar72 wrote:

!

these people talk sense.

appreciate that's Matthews view primarily, but mine is factual 6000 miles, dead wheels, not impressed.... they are/ were my worst performing wheels by a huge margin. I've a set of heavier handbuilts that roll better and do everything better. but then again they are on dura ace hubs and have decent heavier gauge spokes.

hope that's as clear as can be. they are an upgrade on something that would be OEM with a £1000 bike, but they aren't great.

this.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • these threads and the experiences contained therein don't really give you further confidence as well, especially when you look at the OP and his/her comments above.

viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=13107854

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Just to add something to the thread, I got my head turned, had disposable, whatever and bought myself some known brand carbon clinchers and I have to say from a performance point of view (in my limited experience) they are no better than the Kysrium Equippe S non carbon jobbies they replaced.

Kysriums not wasted mind they are now on my second bike.

As I say I don't have half the knowledge of a lot on here this is just my findings on the particular wheels I purchased.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,613
    Just to add something to the thread, I got my head turned, had disposable, whatever and bought myself some known brand carbon clinchers and I have to say from a performance point of view (in my limited experience) they are no better than the Kysrium Equippe S non carbon jobbies they replaced.

Kysriums not wasted mind they are now on my second bike.

As I say I don't have half the knowledge of a lot on here this is just my findings on the particular wheels I purchased.

But do they look cool??
  • Do they make a cool whooshing sound?
  • Do they make a cool whooshing sound?

Yes to both the looks and the whooshing sound, now I know why I bought them!!!!
  • is it a whooooom or a whooooosh?

this, together with coolness and not being mugged are the most important things.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • is it a whooooom or a whooooosh?

this, together with coolness and not being mugged are the most important things.

To be fair with my advancing years I may as well spend my money now before the government takes it all to charge me a grand a week for a room in an old people's "hotel"

Holidays and bikes are the way forward :D
  • agree completely, but there is no point in being mugged for a price of really average wheels when you can get the same thing for half the price and spend the balance on blow 'n' ho.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Along with a whoooosh and whooooom sounds, does it make a chhhhhheeewwww sound when you brake?

Mine do, money well spent IMO.
  • Excellent observation. It's all money well spent.
  • Joe Totale wrote:
    Along with a whoooosh and whooooom sounds, does it make a chhhhhheeewwww sound when you brake?

and a really loud CLICKCLICKCLICK from the freewheel.

we like a loud freewheel here.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Joe Totale wrote:
    Along with a whoooosh and whooooom sounds, does it make a chhhhhheeewwww sound when you brake?

My Rovals are basically silent :cry:
  • Dannbodge wrote:
    Joe Totale wrote:

noooooo! i trust you have a parp! parp! horn to make up for that?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Dannbodge wrote:
    Joe Totale wrote:

You've been had!!
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    people complain about bikes 'clicking', creaking etc but put up with that squealing noise from carbon rims or disc brakes (other rims/braking systems are available)
  • not the same.

One is ALL the time and incredibly frustrating.

the schwizz of a carbon rim braking is lovely. Squealing of any braking surface, less so.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Have to say, my carbon roval clx (rim brake) have not once made a squeal when braking. The only time I have experienced this has actually been when riding aluminium rim wheels.
  • not the same.

One is ALL the time and incredibly frustrating.

the schwizz of a carbon rim braking is lovely. Squealing of any braking surface, less so.

this.

schwizzzzzzzzzzzzzing is lush, see. squealing sux.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • amrushton wrote:
    people complain about bikes 'clicking', creaking etc but put up with that squealing noise from carbon rims or disc brakes (other rims/braking systems are available)

mine don't squeal. they schwwwwwoooooooozzzzzzz whooommm whooooommm whoooommmm like PRO.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.