MTB for a roadie

2»

Comments

• BillyCool wrote:
    BillyCool wrote:
    I'm 5'10" and ride a 19" FS bike on 26" wheels.

My HT was an 18" but was really a bit small and I've just changed to a L 19" frame with more modern, slacker geometry.

I'm not sure that a 20" frame would suit you.

It did feel big when sitting on it in the shop. Not much seat post out of the frame either.

You're right on the cusp of M or L (18" or 19"?). Different bikes size differently though, so it's not an exact science. Frame size is only part of the equation. Reach and stack are just as relevant.

I like a slightly longer/slacker FS (140mm 26" wheels) due to what's it's used for. Much more balanced when pointed downhill (I don't mean pure DH riding - that's not my thing).

My HT was effectively an XC race bike (2006 Stumpjumper 90mm forks M 18") - great for flat work and hill climbing but very unsettled on the downhill stuff - even for XC paths/tracks. The bike fit was always `compact` but due to the 90mm forks, old geometry (71 degree hard angle) and 100mm stem, my weight was too far over the headset area. I've moved house and ride more hilly terrain and also embraced getting a FS bike, so my riding has changed a lot.

Now I have the L 19" slacker frame (it's a 650B frame with my old 26" wheels and a 140mm fork) the bike feels so much better. It is slightly heavier but feels more planted and has almost the same geometry figures as my FS (in terms of wheelbase, head angle and reach).

I have realised that I would prefer a slightly bigger bike than something too compact, as that suits how I ride.

The only thing you can do is chuck your leg over a few bikes, try some (if you can) and see what you like. You'll never know for sure until you actually go and ride the thing.

Good summary of fit considerations. Iv'e opted for a Calibre two cubed as it fits my budget and should fit my body as well. 18" frame but it's quite long and slack so should have the attributes you describe below. It felt right sitting on it and riding it round the shop floor. Coming from a road bike the fit is obviously very different and will take some getting used to I expect.
  • Well done - now you can get out and ride!

The riding position for MTB is different to road riding, but is also depends what sort of riding you are doing.

My experience of roadies moving to MTB is that they aren't used to getting their weight over the rear wheel, particularly on anything downhill & off-road. They would usually tuck down low just behind or over the bars. That's not a good idea if off-road (not an issue on the road). Usually, you'll have an OTB moment as gravity lifts the back of the bike and ejects you (learning to fall off a bike is actually a useful skill). You have to get used to pushing back, bend your knees, get your hips ideally behind the saddle and push your heels down (if using flats). A lot of people use dropper posts for that reason.

There are some good videos on You Tube showing basic technique and you can always sign up to a skills course.

If you have just a road riding helmet, I would recommened a `trail` helmet, as it offers higher levels of protection, particularly to the back of the head. There are plenty of other posts on `what to carry` when out in the woods....

Let us know how you get on.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • Cheers, I appreciate the words of wisdom. Mainly I'll be riding with my boys on XC routes or the local trail centre (Thetford) so nothing too demanding or difficult. Some of my mates ride mostly mtbs so I'll also look to get some pointers from them as the last time I rode properly off road was 1994! Totally different skill set to road riding, which, let's be honest doesn't require much skill really, just a good set of lungs and legs.
  • Cheers, I appreciate the words of wisdom. Mainly I'll be riding with my boys on XC routes or the local trail centre (Thetford) so nothing too demanding or difficult. Some of my mates ride mostly mtbs so I'll also look to get some pointers from them as the last time I rode properly off road was 1994! Totally different skill set to road riding, which, let's be honest doesn't require much skill really, just a good set of lungs and legs.

Can't argue with your logic!

I was riding in 1994 - the joys of fully rigids!

It is different but in a good way - better geometry, brakes, tyres, suspension(!) and so forth.

Thetford will be ideal for you to learn your trade. The little rocky skills sections will soon highlight any lack of technique!
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • BillyCool wrote:
    Cheers, I appreciate the words of wisdom. Mainly I'll be riding with my boys on XC routes or the local trail centre (Thetford) so nothing too demanding or difficult. Some of my mates ride mostly mtbs so I'll also look to get some pointers from them as the last time I rode properly off road was 1994! Totally different skill set to road riding, which, let's be honest doesn't require much skill really, just a good set of lungs and legs.

Can't argue with your logic!

I was riding in 1994 - the joys of fully rigids!

It is different but in a good way - better geometry, brakes, tyres, suspension(!) and so forth.

Thetford will be ideal for you to learn your trade. The little rocky skills sections will soon highlight any lack of technique!

I've been in touch with my MTB friend who's delighted that I have finally bought a proper bike as he calls it. I'm sure he'll have a great time watching me fall off it. My one and only MTB was a GT Tequesta that I bought in 1992.fully rigid as you say. I only sold it last year.