MTB for a roadie

Camcycle1974
Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
edited September 2019 in MTB buying advice
I'm sure my situation isn't unique but my boys have decided they much prefer to ride off road and have MTB's but I dont. I don't want to spend a lot as I ride predominantly on the road but what would be a good option either second hand or new? We live near Cambridge so the wildest it gets round here is Thetford so not very but it would be good to have something capable of riding some more demanding trails elsewhere. At least the bike will be capable even if I'm not. Apologies if this has been asked 100's of times before.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Very common question, but relevant none the less.

Voodoo Bizango is the go to entry bike, all the bits are just that bit better than most the competition and they ride really well, about £650 new (depending on Halford's whims) but 10% off with British Cycling membership. Around £300 upwards for a decent used bike.

Maybe you'll get to see the fun side of cycling your boys have already found.... :-)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Camcycle1974
    The Rookie wrote:
    Very common question, but relevant none the less.

Voodoo Bizango is the go to entry bike, all the bits are just that bit better than most the competition and they ride really well, about £650 new (depending on Halford's whims) but 10% off with British Cycling membership. Around £300 upwards for a decent used bike.

Maybe you'll get to see the fun side of cycling your boys have already found.... :-)

I'm not a total novice when it comes to MTB. Used to have a GT hardtail but with no suspension fork! Did the Pyrenees on that in my early 20's. 25 years on it would be nice to revisit those halcyon days. Thanks for the rec, I'll check it out.
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    Welcome to the Darkside. :D

A HT will suit you fine. Thetford is actually quite a good place to learn a bit more about MTB. Most of it is fairly benign but it has some more technical features where you can ride some small rock gardens and drop offs etc. Great place to session and learn some basic MTB skills (there are some good videos on You Tube showing how to learn the required skills).

If you are confident that you know bikes, you could go 2nd hand or look at some of the deals on offer on last years models.

The Bizango is very well thought of as an entry level MTB.

I woudn't recommend a fully rigid - at least have front shocks!
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • Camcycle1974
    BillyCool wrote:

A HT will suit you fine. Thetford is actually quite a good place to learn a bit more about MTB. Most of it is fairly benign but it has some more technical features where you can ride some small rock gardens and drop offs etc. Great place to session and learn some basic MTB skills (there are some good videos on You Tube showing how to learn the required skills).

If you are confident that you know bikes, you could go 2nd hand or look at some of the deals on offer on last years models.

Thanks. It will be good to do something different for a change as I must have ridden 90% of the roads round here multiple times. Wheel size is a tad confusing as there seem to be different standards. what's the difference between 26,27, 27.5 and 29 fr instance and which should i get given the type of riding i will be doing?
  • billycool
    BillyCool wrote:

Thanks. It will be good to do something different for a change as I must have ridden 90% of the roads round here multiple times. Wheel size is a tad confusing as there seem to be different standards. what's the difference between 26,27, 27.5 and 29 fr instance and which should i get given the type of riding i will be doing?

The older standard wheel size was 26".

Then 27.5 (or 650B) came along as being slightly bigger. 29" was even bigger (the same as 700cc).

The alleged logic is that bigger wheels roll faster and roll over stuff better. But - they also can take longer to get going, can flex a bit more and not quite so nimble on the tight and twisty stuff.

Ultimately - they are round and any wheel size will do a job.

Personally - I still ride 26" wheels on both FS and HT. I have done for 25+ years and I have too much invested in 4 sets of wheels to change anything. I'd happily ride 27.5" but find 29" too big for the type of riding I mainly do.

There is no real right/wrong answer. It is personal preference and as a beginner I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • Camcycle1974
    BillyCool wrote:
    BillyCool wrote:

The older standard wheel size was 26".

Then 27.5 (or 650B) came along as being slightly bigger. 29" was even bigger (the same as 700cc).

The alleged logic is that bigger wheels roll faster and roll over stuff better. But - they also can take longer to get going, can flex a bit more and not quite so nimble on the tight and twisty stuff.

Ultimately - they are round and any wheel size will do a job.

Personally - I still ride 26" wheels on both FS and HT. I have done for 25+ years and I have too much invested in 4 sets of wheels to change anything. I'd happily ride 27.5" but find 29" too big for the type of riding I mainly do.

There is no real right/wrong answer. It is personal preference and as a beginner I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Thanks, simplifies things a lot. Looking at a 27.5 in my LBS as they do 0% finance. How would this stack up compared to the bikes already mentioned? https://www.rutlandcycling.com/bikes/mo ... ack_462038
  • The Rookie
    . what's the difference between 26,27, 27.5 and 29 fr instance and which should i get given the type of riding i will be doing?
    Just to clarify, 26" was the original MTB size and so called because the rolling diameter of the wheel AND TYRE is 26" with a 2" tyre fitted.
    29er wheels use the same rim diameter as 700c road bikes and actually measure in at about 28.5" RD with that 2" tyre
    Then they used a 650B rim size (Junior road bikes) wheel and that comes in at a 27" RD when using a 2" tyre, 27.5 was chosen as the marketing name because its half way between 26 and 29 (despite the fact a 29er was never 29" RD in the first place).

Confusing isn't it!

I wouldn't be buying 26" now, while perfectly functional its starting to loose out on the latest tyres etc as almost no-one is producing a decent 26" bike anymore. 27.5 has replaced 26" as the smaller wheel size.

As for 27.5 v 29, it comes down to personal choice, like for like a 27.5 will be slightly lighter (smaller rims, spokes and tyres) while a 29er will always roll over things that bit better but it makes for a slightly longer bike which needs commitment in tighter turns (once you get used to it, its fine) and a slightly less agile feel. But in most cases it comes down to personal preference,

Currently riding a 29er myself.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • billycool
    That link is to a 27.5+, which is yet another tyre size. It's 27.5 with a bigger tyre on, that makes it the same as a 29" in terms of tyre size. Do you want that?

Scroll down this page to see the comparison chart:

https://www.mbr.co.uk/news/mismatched-w ... kes-380291

Which Rutland Cycles shop is local to you?
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • The Rookie
    27.5+ has about the same rolling diameter as a 29er! In fact I have two mates with identical Scott Sparks (well apart from ones and S and the other an XL), one rides 27.5+ in it and the other 29.
  • Camcycle1974
    BillyCool wrote:
    That link is to a 27.5+, which is yet another tyre size. It's 27.5 with a bigger tyre on, that makes it the same as a 29" in terms of tyre size. Do you want that?

Histon
  • Camcycle1974
    BillyCool wrote:

Histon

It's even more confusing than road bikes!
  • Camcycle1974
    After some research I have found the Calibre Two Cubed. A good option for £400?
  • The Rookie
    It's a decent option for the money, but its nowhere near as good as the Bizango.
  • Camcycle1974
    The Rookie wrote:
    It's a decent option for the money, but its nowhere near as good as the Bizango.

Bizango does look decent but it should be better for £250 more. Is it that much better?
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Yes, undoubtedly, if that £250 is not going to mean your kids do without food.

Much lower weight, simpler gearing, and most of all the air fork. I can vouch for the weight being valid too, as weighing it was the first thing I did when I got mine home.

(And get the British Cycling membership, and that's instantly £65 off the Bizango, so it's not £250, it's £185 difference).
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • Camcycle1974
    larkim wrote:
    Yes, undoubtedly, if that £250 is not going to mean your kids do without food.

Much lower weight, simpler gearing, and most of all the air fork. I can vouch for the weight being valid too, as weighing it was the first thing I did when I got mine home.

(And get the British Cycling membership, and that's instantly £65 off the Bizango, so it's not £250, it's £185 difference).

You're selling it well! It will be a CTW voucher purchase so even less when the tax benefits are factored in. I presume that you can use a British cycling discount on the CTW scheme? 29er vs 27.5 but I suppose that doesn't make a whole lot of difference?
  • Camcycle1974
    Went to look at a calibre 2 cubed and a bizango yesterday. The bizango is the better bike but £250 more and the orange is really orange. More of a deep subtle orange on the calibre plus its all I really need and has 650b wheels. The bizango wheels were huge. For anyonre in the Cambridge area they had a returned bizango in halfords for £520, a 20" frame so too big for me.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    This has been a useful thread for me... thanks. I'm also a roadie and have just resurrected my old Scott Sawtooth (circa mid-80s) that has been mouldering in my garage for many years unridden. A clean up, lube, pumped up the tyres and over to the Lookout at Swinley.... I really enjoyed it. The bike, although very heavy and no suspension actually rode pretty well despite me having tyre pressures too high.
    Anyway, I went and had a look at the Bizango based on this thread and thought it looked pretty good spec. So,might consider one if on offer and if I apply my Cycling UK 10% discount. Not sure on sizing...I'm just over 5'8" so not sure if I'd need the 16 or 18 frame. I'll have to work that one out. The one on display was a 20.
    Sorry for a bit of a hijack... cheers.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Camcycle1974
    Dabber wrote:
    This has been a useful thread for me... thanks. I'm also a roadie and have just resurrected my old Scott Sawtooth (circa mid-80s) that has been mouldering in my garage for many years unridden. A clean up, lube, pumped up the tyres and over to the Lookout at Swinley.... I really enjoyed it. The bike, although very heavy and no suspension actually rode pretty well despite me having tyre pressures too high.
    Anyway, I went and had a look at the Bizango based on this thread and thought it looked pretty good spec. So,might consider one if on offer and if I apply my Cycling UK 10% discount. Not sure on sizing...I'm just over 5'8" so not sure if I'd need the 16 or 18 frame. I'll have to work that one out. The one on display was a 20.
    Sorry for a bit of a hijack... cheers.

No worries, glad it has been of some use. From the research I have done the best options all seem to be from big retailers like wiggle, halfords or go outdoors. I like the look of the Vitus but a) there's none available and B) you can't try before you buy or even see one. More stock of the vitus due December apparently but I want to get one before then. I guess the Bizango is the best option with the BC discount at less than £600 but its a bit loud and shouty for a 45 year old!
  • dabber
    I guess the Bizango is the best option with the BC discount at less than £600 but its a bit loud and shouty for a 45 year old!

Lol... you're making me feel guilty... I guess I'm a loud and shouty 72 year old :shock:

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Camcycle1974
    Dabber wrote:
    I guess the Bizango is the best option with the BC discount at less than £600 but its a bit loud and shouty for a 45 year old!

Lol... you're making me feel guilty... I guess I'm a loud and shouty 72 year old :shock:

:D:lol: I might still go that route although I'm not convinced by 29"wheels.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    There is nothing wrong with 29" wheels, although there was when they first became a thing in mtb circles. A 29" wheel was added to existing bikes and the geometry was all wrong "steered like a barge" was the usual epithet. Since then the geometry has been altered and now, despite being longer the bike behave much better. If 29ers were so carp, the XC world champions wouldn't ride them. There have also been forays into 29ers by the DH crowd (although I've seen no videos). I recently bought a new bike and for the first time ever I bought a 29er. Apart from the extra weight, the only time I notice any dis-benefit is when I'm going slow speed (although as fast as I can) through twisty -twisty woods. When trying to follow my grandson on his 26er with the 70 degree head angle, I just can't catch him!

But everywhere else, the larger wheel rolls noticeably better, especially when the trail is rocky or rooty. The 2.5" low pressure tubeless tyres help of course.

Don't be afraid of a modern 29er. Test ride a few. From the sound of your original post, a 29er could be the perfect wheel size for you. You sound as though you could be tall, if a 20" frame is too big for you. I'm 611" and a 20" would be too tall for me"! In which case a 29er would be even better suited to you.
  • Camcycle1974
    A 20" is too big. I'm not tall, 5ft 10 so need an 18" or medium really. I take your point re the 29er, never ridden one, 26 was the only wheel size when I bought my only MTB in 1992!
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Hey, I'm 47 and I only got my Bizango this year!!

On sizing, I'm 5ft8 and on an 18in Bizango all feels good.

Surprised you felt the wheels were huge comparing 650b to 29er, but I can see the value of cash in the pocket. I "had" to buy the Bizango as it was an insurance replacement and at the voucher level they were prepared to offer me it was far and away the best option. My only problem is I don't ride it enough!
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • larkim wrote:
    Hey, I'm 47 and I only got my Bizango this year!!

On sizing, I'm 5ft8 and on an 18in Bizango all feels good.

Surprised you felt the wheels were huge comparing 650b to 29er, but I can see the value of cash in the pocket. I "had" to buy the Bizango as it was an insurance replacement and at the voucher level they were prepared to offer me it was far and away the best option. My only problem is I don't ride it enough!

Maybe should have snapped up the 20in bizango for £520 but budget was a consideration. Can get the Calibre for £360 and as I have bought 2 other bikes in the last year it seemed like a good idea.
  • dabber
    Looks like Halfords are playing around with the Bizango price... now at £725! A 20% trade in for old bike, scooter available but without that a fairly hefty price rise.

• Dabber wrote:
    Looks like Halfords are playing around with the Bizango price... now at £725! A 20% trade in for old bike, scooter available but without that a fairly hefty price rise.

They do seem to change prices fairly regularly. Probably so they can discount it back down to £650! Out of my budget anyway. Maybe I should have got the 20" frame. :|
  • I'm 5'10" and ride a 19" FS bike on 26" wheels.

My HT was an 18" but was really a bit small and I've just changed to a L 19" frame with more modern, slacker geometry.

I'm not sure that a 20" frame would suit you.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • BillyCool wrote:
    I'm 5'10" and ride a 19" FS bike on 26" wheels.

My HT was an 18" but was really a bit small and I've just changed to a L 19" frame with more modern, slacker geometry.

It did feel big when sitting on it in the shop. Not much seat post out of the frame either.
  • BillyCool wrote:
    I'm 5'10" and ride a 19" FS bike on 26" wheels.

It did feel big when sitting on it in the shop. Not much seat post out of the frame either.

You're right on the cusp of M or L (18" or 19"?). Different bikes size differently though, so it's not an exact science. Frame size is only part of the equation. Reach and stack are just as relevant.

I like a slightly longer/slacker FS (140mm 26" wheels) due to what's it's used for. Much more balanced when pointed downhill (I don't mean pure DH riding - that's not my thing).

My HT was effectively an XC race bike (2006 Stumpjumper 90mm forks M 18") - great for flat work and hill climbing but very unsettled on the downhill stuff - even for XC paths/tracks. The bike fit was always `compact` but due to the 90mm forks, old geometry (71 degree hard angle) and 100mm stem, my weight was too far over the headset area. I've moved house and ride more hilly terrain and also embraced getting a FS bike, so my riding has changed a lot.

Now I have the L 19" slacker frame (it's a 650B frame with my old 26" wheels and a 140mm fork) the bike feels so much better. It is slightly heavier but feels more planted and has almost the same geometry figures as my FS (in terms of wheelbase, head angle and reach).

I have realised that I would prefer a slightly bigger bike than something too compact, as that suits how I ride.

The only thing you can do is chuck your leg over a few bikes, try some (if you can) and see what you like. You'll never know for sure until you actually go and ride the thing.
    "Ride, crash, replace"