Knee femoris injury

cowboyjon
cowboyjon Posts: 89
My first time riding clipless outdoors and I have done some kind of acute injury to the back of my left knee, which upon further research seems to be the biceps femoris thingy-mabob.

After the ride 3 days ago it was just a niggle but upon waking the next day it got worse. It seemed to peak yesterday and today I'm much of a muchness with it in that I can walk OK and in no major pain but there is no way I can ride my bike.

Can anyone else who has had this particular injury offer some advice?

I am trying to find a reputable sports injury clinic in my area (Lanarkshire) to get some professional advice but finding it a struggle at the minute to be honest.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    In terms of the symptoms, a clinic will probably just tell you to rest it for anything from a few weeks to a few months (depending on severity) - which is probably the most straightforward and least expensive method of recovery for a hamstring injury. The cause will need investigating - first time on clipless suggests it might be saddle height or cleat position related.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    what did the doctor (ie GP who will be writing your referral) say?

#doctor
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    Likely saddle too high with the new pedals/cleats. Put the old pedals back on, measure top of saddle to top of pedal, then when you put the clipless pedals back on make sure that distance is the same.

In terms of the injury, resting a couple more days should do it, ice can help too. I wouldn't bother with a physio or doctor unless it's still there in a week's time.
  • maryka wrote:
    Likely saddle too high with the new pedals/cleats. Put the old pedals back on, measure top of saddle to top of pedal, then when you put the clipless pedals back on make sure that distance is the same.

In terms of the injury, resting a couple more days should do it, ice can help too. I wouldn't bother with a physio or doctor unless it's still there in a week's time.

Thanks for this and thanks Imposter too

I had figured this to be the case and already went ahead and dropped the seat (and bars) 10mm for whenever I'm fit enough to try it.

I'll keep my money in my pocket for a few days and see how it goes with some more rest.
  • cowboyjon wrote:
    I am trying to find a reputable sports injury clinic in my area (Lanarkshire) to get some professional advice but finding it a struggle at the minute to be honest.
    Not had this injury myself but seeing a physio will be your best bet. The 'stringy' bit on the outside of of your knee at the back is your biceps femoris tendon which attach to your fibula and tibia and is also right next to the semitendinosus. There are a couple of muscles behind your knee called the popliteal and plantaris as well as lots of other bits crossing over. As you can see your pain could be multiple things.

I'd strongly advise you see a Physio and get a bike fit though.
  • Tricky tree
    Tricky tree Posts: 9
    edited August 2019
    I'm a cycling newbie myself but a long term runner so experienced in aches and pains :D
    Given that you noticed a big improvement in the last day or so, then in my opinion, a week or two of rest should be all you need. You may find putting some ice on the back of the knee when you sit down will help.
    If the pain is still there when you walk normally after a week then you need to see your GP who should be able to diagnose the injury (and point you in the right direction re the treatment plan)
    I personally wouldn't bother with a physio until the injury has been diagnosed by a GP.

As to what caused the injury, as others have said, its worth starting with your bike. Did you buy your bike new? If so probably worth a call to the shop and ask if you can arrange a proper fitting with your new pedals. If not then contact your local bike store for the same.

Did you do any stretching or warm up before you went out?
    Some basic squats and lunges would probably help to get warmed before you ride (and will also help to strengthen your leg muscles) and always worth taking the first 5-10 mins of your ride, easy ish, before you put the hammer down!

Hope that helps
  • imposter2.0
    Some basic squats and lunges would probably help to get warmed before you ride (and will also help to strengthen your leg muscles) and always worth taking the first 5-10 mins easy ish before you put the hammer down!

Stretching cold muscles before exercise is generally seen as a bad idea - and there is little value in trying to 'strengthen' your leg muscles anyway - especially like that. Best way to warm up is on the bike..
  • Imposter wrote:
    Some basic squats and lunges would probably help to get warmed before you ride (and will also help to strengthen your leg muscles) and always worth taking the first 5-10 mins easy ish before you put the hammer down!

Stretching cold muscles before exercise is generally seen as a bad idea - and there is little value in trying to 'strengthen' your leg muscles anyway - especially like that. Best way to warm up is on the bike..

Dynamic stretching - which is what I described - is generally seen as a good thing to do before exercise.

Each to their own of course.
  • imposter2.0
    Imposter wrote:

Dynamic stretching - which is what I described - is generally seen as a good thing to do before exercise.

Each to their own of course.

It doesn't matter what kind of stretches. The best warm-up for riding a bike - is going to be riding a bike.
  • smudgerii
    smudgerii Posts: 125
    I always understood that stretches and warm up were two very different things.

Stretching is never a bad thing, it’s importance increases with age.... a sad fact of life. As with any physical exercise, you warm up doing the actual exercise at a lower rate.
  • imposter2.0
    Smudgerii wrote:

Stretching is never a bad thing, it’s importance increases with age.... a sad fact of life. As with any physical exercise, you warm up doing the actual exercise at a lower rate.

Just to be clear - I'm talking about stretches being a bad (or at least uneccesary) idea in terms of a pre-cycling 'warm up'. I have no particular view on their relative use in other circumstances.
  • smudgerii
    smudgerii Posts: 125
    Imposter wrote:
    Smudgerii wrote:

Just to be clear - I'm talking about stretches being a bad (or at least uneccesary) idea in terms of a pre-cycling 'warm up'. I have no particular view on their relative use in other circumstances.

My point also
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,417
    I find stretching my quads, hamstrings, hip flexors, glutes and back (lying on back and rolling bent knees to left and right) really helps me. If I don't do this then I often get lower back pain after 45mins or so. If I do the above then this rarely happens. So, in answer to the above, stretching can help before exercise. It does in my case but as always YMMV....

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.