Recovery time from broken ribs

redvision
redvision Posts: 2,958
edited October 2019 in Training, fitness and health
Not long been back on the bike after a long lay off and now facing another few weeks off it again after managed to break two ribs on the weekend (non biking injury) :evil:

The hospital prescribed painkillers and just told me to rest up for 6 weeks. Felt it was pretty much just standard info they gave me, so just wondering if anyone can offer any advice re how long it is likely to be before I can get back on the turbo at least? Anything I can do to speed up recovery etc?

Thanks

Comments

• poptart242
    poptart242 Posts: 531
    edited September 2019
    I'm four weeks in - OTB on a mountain bike down at Glentress and cracked ribs under my left arm/lat area.

I was told that so long as I can keep breathing fully then crack on, while being aware of the risks of another fall. For that reason I've stuck to road and stayed away from chain gangs/sprinting and just gone for more long distance stuff.

I think I've been lucky in that the location of my injury means it doesn't bother me on the bike though - YMMV.

Four weeks later they still hurt! It'll take time.
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    Everyone's different but you could give it a go on a stationary turbo for a steady spin and see how you feel after a couple of weeks, as long as you can breath without serious pain then you are good, listen to your body.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • redvision
    Poptart242 wrote:
    I'm four weeks in - OTB on the mountain bike and cracked ribs under my left arm/lat area.

I was told that so long as I can keep breathing fully then crack on, while being aware of the risks of another fall. For that reason I've stuck to road and stayed away from chain gangs/sprinting and just gone for more long distance stuff.

I think I've been lucky in that the location of my injury means it doesn't bother me on the bike though - YMMV.

Four weeks later they still hurt! It'll take time.

Thanks for the quick response. Sorry to hear about your injury!

At the mo breathing is the biggest problem as its so painful, but really interesting and pleasing to hear that you were able to get back on the bike so quickly.

Did you find it hard to breathe in the days after your crash? How long until that improved? Apart from painkillers did you do anything to help recovery? Ice? Hot baths? Etc

Thanks
  • poptart242
    poptart242 Posts: 531
    Remember you have to breathe fully at least every few minutes, don't go risking Pneumonia!

Yeah it sucked, stayed off for 4 days but then happy enough to get out for 50 or so miles. Out of the saddle was tough.

In terms of recovery, pretty much nothing I'm afraid! Painkillers at night to help with sleeping and careful in getting up and down is all.

Tbh if breathing is hard take it easy until that subsides, no point in trundling about in zone one while in pain. Good luck!
  • redvision
    Thanks mate. Guess I'm just being impatient as usual and want it to heal overnight :oops:

Can't see any chance of doing any biking, even on the turbo, soon as it's still agony each breath.

Will just be sensible for once and will listen to my body and wait until the pain subsides.

Hope you quickly recover as well
  • three years ago in a crit, i fractured my scapula, several ribs, and chipped the ends of two fingers in a big stack. I had a week off the bike, and then started training gently on the turbo (gently as breathing deeply hurt). About a week after that i managed to ride my full suspension mtb on the road and some vaguely off road routes.

8 weeks after the crash, i turned up to my last race of the season at the same venue as where i crashed. I felt i could have done okay in the race (for me), but i ended up puncturing after 4km... By this point i'd done a couple of weeks of hard training and intervals.

However, it may all depend on the severity of the fractures you have.
    Coach to Michael Freiberg - Track World Champion (Omnium) 2011
    Coach to James Hayden - Transcontinental Race winner 2017, and 2018
    Coach to Jeff Jones - 2011 BBAR winner and 12-hour record
    Check out our new website https://www.cyclecoach.com
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I think a lot depends on how many / which ribs you've broken where and how badly. Some move more than others when breathing. Bugger all you can do to speed recovery beyond eating well and moving about as much as the pain permits. And try not to catch a cold or cough. Coughing / sneezing with broken ribs can be very painful.
  • redvision
    Well it's been 3 weeks and still haven't been able to get back on the bike. Have appointment at the fracture clinic tomorrow as dr is concerned at the amount of pain I'm still experiencing, when I should be well on way to recovery.

The last 12 months have been a nightmare for injury. The whole season missed. :evil:
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    I did a collar bone and two ribs on my 50th birthday a few years ago! Ribs were broken right next to my spine. They hurt much more than the collar bone.

I was riding again after three weeks and breathing deeply. Some pain but manageable. Climbing however wasn’t great - hit a steep hill, pulled on the bars and felt the collar bone open up slightly. Ouch, rode the rest of the hill one handed!

I found sleep for the first week was a nightmare - couldn’t go to bed, had to sleep propped up with cushions on the sofa. A couple of weeks in and I was on the mend, however I tore a muscle in my shoulder under physio exercise guidance after 6 weeks, had to do nothing for another 2 weeks before going back to the exercise regimen which took another 2 weeks to get be back to normal. Drawn out process to say the least.

PP
  • Done my ribs 3 times, each has had different recovery patterns due to the differing causes and other associated injuries. Not sure anyone can give any timescale that will be accurate.

Mind you I judged my recovery on being able to weightlift or go full commitment on the motorbike.
  • redvision
    Cheers for the replies and info.

First day today with slightly less pain, so hopefully it is gradually healing. The fracture clinic told me last week it can take up to 12 weeks (double what the hospital originally said) but I hope they are wrong. Looking at the blue sky this morning, all I want to do is go out on the bike :cry:
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    done 3 ribs on one side and 2 on the other, the healing times and how I got back to it were different each time. one was a rugby injury, the other cycling.

the cycling one was around 2 weeks weirdly which seems quick. note I wasn't able to exert too hard for 3-4 weeks.... the ribs still occasionally hurt even now.