Old Cervélos

2»

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    top work that man! post some pics & enjoy lots.

#newtoy
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Where are you finding these NOS Cervélos from years gone by?
  • keef66 wrote:
    Where are you finding these NOS Cervélos from years gone by?

eBay
  • Matthewfalle
    links pleeeeeeaaaaase!

#vicariousspending

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    links pleeeeeeaaaaase!

#vicariousspending

Unfortunately the seller does not ship to the UK. If you're desperate you may be able to persuade a US citizen to buy one for you and ship it :lol:
  • arlowood wrote:
    links pleeeeeeaaaaase!

#vicariousspending

Unfortunately the seller does not ship to the UK. If you're desperate you may be able to persuade a US citizen to buy one for you and ship it :lol:

That’s annoying
    I had a US crowd on eBay that would ship the bike to the Uk but not to Ireland . Told me it was too expensive and cheaper to ship to the uk . They were in New York , I said we are the next country on the right . No luck !
  • Thanks for all the help.

I’m probably going to want to put some new wheels on the bike at some point. I understand that S3s of that vintage had some wheel clearance issues? What width rim and tire would I need to look at? 23 or less for both?
  • Matthewfalle
    23mm will work perfect, I think my Soloist even ran Vittoria 25mm tubs but they were utterly rubbish and fell apart so please don't quote me on the tyre size.

As previous, 23mm only on older S5.

Carbonzone or Farsport deep rims for you.

Have a squiz and see the sizes of the wheels/tyres that arrive with it and use them as a guide.

#retrocool

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • LedZepp007 wrote:
    Thanks for all the help.

I’m probably going to want to put some new wheels on the bike at some point. I understand that S3s of that vintage had some wheel clearance issues? What width rim and tire would I need to look at? 23 or less for both?

There were spoke clearance problems with certain wheels with the 2009 S3, but they changed the design of the chainstays to resolve the problem with the later models.

I use 23mm tyres with my 2011 S3, I've tried 25mm a couple of times, they do fit, but it's quite close. I went back to 23s after a ride in the wet where grit and small stones were sticking to the tyre which were catching on the underside of the fork crown.
  • Well, sounds like I may try my hand at wheel building. Should be fun!
  • Why's that? You've bought a 2010 S3, haven't you?
  • Why's that? You've bought a 2010 S3, haven't you?

Yes. The wheels that come with this particular one are the Fulcrum Racing 5 wheels and, at some point, I’d probably like some carbon wheels
  • Oh right. Gotcha. I'm sure you'll enjoy it, as Matthewfalle says, it's a great bike.
  • So the max external rim width I’d be looking at would be 23mm?
  • I've used Mavic Cosmic SRs and Open Pros with mine, no idea what the rim width is on either of those.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Of the two, I'd have the S3. I think it's a much nicer looking bike, but also the S3 has a threaded BB, whereas the S5 is BBright. Also I seem to remember that there were issues with the front tyre rubbing the underside of the downtube on the S5.

you couldn't get a 25mm tyre on the front wheel or rear wheel as well. 23mm max.
  • So, would I be able to run Zipp 404s (with their 27mm max width) with 23mm tires?
  • Reviving this dead thread... anybody with an old S3 running 23s on a wider rim?
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Pretty sure you’re scuppered with a wide rim. However, best thing to do is either find a club mate that has some or go to a shop that sells them with your bike and try for size.
    I was concerned about a wide Hed Jet on my 2009 trek TT bike and people said they wouldn’t fit. I tried a mate’s and they were fine.

HTH
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • I’m looking hard at some Swiss Side wheels, but am worried about the toroidal shape causing clearance issues.
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    Pretty sure you’re scuppered with a wide rim. However, best thing to do is either find a club mate that has some or go to a shop that sells them with your bike and try for size.
    I was concerned about a wide Hed Jet on my 2009 trek TT bike and people said they wouldn’t fit. I tried a mate’s and they were fine.

HTH

Thanks