Forum home Road cycling forum Road general

Brands Hatch by Bike?

bungle73bungle73 Posts: 748
edited August 2019 in Road general
Anyone with any experience of doing this? Arriving by bike to attend an event? As far as I can tell they offer absolutely no facilities at all (I asked). It would be far more convenient if I could bike from the nearest station, but I've no idea where to leave it. ATM my only other options are an expensive taxi ride from Swanley, or an hour's walk cross country from Farningham Road station, which what I've been doing. I'm there tomorrow so the latter is my plan.

It seems absolutely ridiculous that in this day and age, a major attraction in the south east of England only seems interested in catering for people arriving by car. This is in stark contrast to what I found at Silverstone when I attended the BGP this year, where they seem to have a free and easy attitude to people taking bikes into the circuit grounds, and people were locking them up just about anywhere.
«1

Posts

  • cougiecougie Posts: 22,512
    Never been to Brands Hatch but have cycled to Oulton Park and locked my bike up there. Don't think it was to an official bike rack but all you need is a pole or fence or something.

    I'm sure it won't be an issue.
  • motogullmotogull Posts: 325
    What are you planning to do there?

    If sitting on a bank, just take it in with you.
  • veronese68veronese68 Posts: 24,810 Lives Here
    Motogull wrote:
    What are you planning to do there?

    If sitting on a bank, just take it in with you.
    This, or just lock it up somewhere within the circuit. There are lots of fences and other bits you can lock up to in there.
  • bungle73bungle73 Posts: 748
    cougie wrote:
    Never been to Brands Hatch but have cycled to Oulton Park and locked my bike up there. Don't think it was to an official bike rack but all you need is a pole or fence or something.

    I'm sure it won't be an issue.

    But I don't want to end up locking it up where I'm not supposed to. That's why I'm seeking advice from someone who's done it.
  • bungle73bungle73 Posts: 748
    Motogull wrote:
    What are you planning to do there?

    If sitting on a bank, just take it in with you.

    I usually buy grandstand seats. Bit afaik you're not allowed to take bikes into the circuit grounds.
  • imposter2.0imposter2.0 Posts: 11,402
    Bungle73 wrote:
    Motogull wrote:
    What are you planning to do there?

    If sitting on a bank, just take it in with you.

    I usually buy grandstand seats. Bit afaik you're not allowed to take bikes into the circuit grounds.

    You said earlier that you'd spoken to Brands about this - either you're allowed to take bikes in - or you're not?

    If you are allowed, then ask them where you can lock it up. If you are not allowed, then you'll need a plan B.
  • joe_totale-2joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    A quick google suggests there's a bus which goes to Brands Hatch which is hourly from Dartford, worth looking into?
    If you do cycle there then some of the roads nearby such as Knatts Valley are lovely for cycling on.
  • bungle73bungle73 Posts: 748
    Imposter wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:
    Motogull wrote:
    What are you planning to do there?

    If sitting on a bank, just take it in with you.

    I usually buy grandstand seats. Bit afaik you're not allowed to take bikes into the circuit grounds.

    You said earlier that you'd spoken to Brands about this - either you're allowed to take bikes in - or you're not?

    If you are allowed, then ask them where you can lock it up. If you are not allowed, then you'll need a plan B.
    I already said what my communication with BH was. I asked if they had anywhere I could lock a bike, and they said no.
  • bungle73bungle73 Posts: 748
    Joe Totale wrote:
    A quick google suggests there's a bus which goes to Brands Hatch which is hourly from Dartford, worth looking into?
    If you do cycle there then some of the roads nearby such as Knatts Valley are lovely for cycling on.
    On a Sunday? AFAIK there are no buses stopping nearby on Sundays.
  • joe_totale-2joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    edited August 2019
    Bungle73 wrote:
    Joe Totale wrote:
    A quick google suggests there's a bus which goes to Brands Hatch which is hourly from Dartford, worth looking into?
    If you do cycle there then some of the roads nearby such as Knatts Valley are lovely for cycling on.
    On a Sunday? AFAIK there are no buses stopping nearby on Sundays.

    Sunday, yeeeesh, yeah there's no buses. Sometimes there's no trains either.
    Take yourself and the pub bike on the train to Eynsford and ride the pub bike over there? Lock it to a fence as suggested above.
  • imposter2.0imposter2.0 Posts: 11,402
    edited August 2019
    Bungle73 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:
    Motogull wrote:
    What are you planning to do there?

    If sitting on a bank, just take it in with you.

    I usually buy grandstand seats. Bit afaik you're not allowed to take bikes into the circuit grounds.

    You said earlier that you'd spoken to Brands about this - either you're allowed to take bikes in - or you're not?

    If you are allowed, then ask them where you can lock it up. If you are not allowed, then you'll need a plan B.
    I already said what my communication with BH was. I asked if they had anywhere I could lock a bike, and they said no.

    That's not what I asked. Did they say specifically if bikes were permitted within Brands, or not? Surely that's the key point. If they are not permitted, then get the bus. If they are permitted and there are no locking facilities, then just lock it anywhere.

    Back to my original question (and leaving aside the issue of where to lock it) - either you are allowed to enter with a bike - or you are not. Which is it?
  • I already said what my communication with BH was. I asked if they had anywhere I could lock a bike, and they said no.
    That isn't the same as saying you can't take bikes in.
    There's a pro photographer goes to Oulton Park on his bike. He uses it to move around the circuit and nobody bats an eye lid.
  • MatthewfalleMatthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    why don't you put it in the rucksack you carry around with you?

    #simples,innit
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

    De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

    Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

    He's right you know.
  • -Dash-Dash Posts: 179
    Last time I went to Brands Hatch I parked my bicycle in our pit garage in between shifts of riding it on the track :)

    For a normal event locking a cheap bike in the car park would likely suffice.
  • awaveyawavey Posts: 2,368
    I already said what my communication with BH was. I asked if they had anywhere I could lock a bike, and they said no.
    That isn't the same as saying you can't take bikes in.
    There's a pro photographer goes to Oulton Park on his bike. He uses it to move around the circuit and nobody bats an eye lid.

    its been a while since Ive been to Brands, but Im sure I saw people with bikes there when I did go and from plenty of other circuits,more often from the camping areas than people riding to them but dont see why it makes a difference, as you say when they are using the GP loop its often the quickest way to get around and cover a larger area
  • motogullmotogull Posts: 325
    I've been to Brands many times for WSB and BSB, but not for a year or two. I've seen plenty of bikes inside but these may have been taken in by teams. I'm sure you'll be fine.
  • AlejandrosdogAlejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    I blame Merlin
  • bungle73bungle73 Posts: 748
    I contacted BH again, this time by email, and they said "Currently we don’t have a designated cycle park but you can chain it up at any of our entrance gates, just ask the staff for directions". I'm not sure what they mean by asking for directions though? Do I not just arrive, find a spot, then lock it up?
  • Bungle73 wrote:
    I contacted BH again, this time by email, and they said "Currently we don’t have a designated cycle park but you can chain it up at any of our entrance gates, just ask the staff for directions". I'm not sure what they mean by asking for directions though? Do I not just arrive, find a spot, then lock it up?

    What's not to understand, you ask staff where you can lock up your bike and they tell you!
    There will be access gates that you cannot lock a bike to, the staff will direct you to somewhere you can leave your bike.
    Do you require this kind of confirmation every time you leave the house with a bike? Just lock it to something fixed and enjoy your day.
  • dannbodgedannbodge Posts: 999
    Having been to Brands a few times with a bike (Revolve 24) I can tell you there is loads to padlock it to.
  • imposter2.0imposter2.0 Posts: 11,402
    Bungle73 wrote:
    I'm not sure what they mean by asking for directions though? Do I not just arrive, find a spot, then lock it up?

    If you were on the phone to them at the time, then why did you not ask them - rather than us?
  • bungle73bungle73 Posts: 748
    Imposter wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:
    I'm not sure what they mean by asking for directions though? Do I not just arrive, find a spot, then lock it up?

    If you were on the phone to them at the time, then why did you not ask them - rather than us?

    On the phone? What?
  • fenixfenix Posts: 5,437
    Bungle73 wrote:
    cougie wrote:
    Never been to Brands Hatch but have cycled to Oulton Park and locked my bike up there. Don't think it was to an official bike rack but all you need is a pole or fence or something.

    I'm sure it won't be an issue.

    But I don't want to end up locking it up where I'm not supposed to. That's why I'm seeking advice from someone who's done it.

    Don't lock it up where it causes an obstruction. Lock it to a fencepost. Not a gate. Sorted.
  • imposter2.0imposter2.0 Posts: 11,402
    Bungle73 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:
    I'm not sure what they mean by asking for directions though? Do I not just arrive, find a spot, then lock it up?

    If you were on the phone to them at the time, then why did you not ask them - rather than us?

    On the phone? What?

    Well, whatever communication method you were using (telegram, pigeon, telepathy, etc) the question still stands..
  • AlejandrosdogAlejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    i cant believe this idiot can navigate roads without becoming roadkill.
  • veronese68veronese68 Posts: 24,810 Lives Here
    Hang on, this was posted late on Saturday.
    Bungle73 wrote:
    Anyone with any experience of doing this? Arriving by bike to attend an event? As far as I can tell they offer absolutely no facilities at all (I asked). It would be far more convenient if I could bike from the nearest station, but I've no idea where to leave it. ATM my only other options are an expensive taxi ride from Swanley, or an hour's walk cross country from Farningham Road station, which what I've been doing. I'm there tomorrow so the latter is my plan.
    So why did you email them after you’d gone? Is this all a wind up?
  • MatthewfalleMatthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Bungle73 wrote:
    I contacted BH again, this time by email, and they said "Currently we don’t have a designated cycle park but you can chain it up at any of our entrance gates, just ask the staff for directions". I'm not sure what they mean by asking for directions though? Do I not just arrive, find a spot, then lock it up?

    #genius
    #eveni'mimpressed.chapeau.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

    De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

    Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

    He's right you know.
  • bungle73bungle73 Posts: 748
    Imposter wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:
    I'm not sure what they mean by asking for directions though? Do I not just arrive, find a spot, then lock it up?

    If you were on the phone to them at the time, then why did you not ask them - rather than us?

    On the phone? What?

    Well, whatever communication method you were using (telegram, pigeon, telepathy, etc) the question still stands..

    Because it quite obvious easier to just post another reply here than wait for a response. Is that a crime?
  • bungle73bungle73 Posts: 748
    i cant believe this idiot can navigate roads without becoming roadkill.

    I can't believe they let scum like you on here. But I'm afraid that is what happens when an internet forum has absolutely no moderation at all.
  • bungle73bungle73 Posts: 748
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Hang on, this was posted late on Saturday.
    Bungle73 wrote:
    Anyone with any experience of doing this? Arriving by bike to attend an event? As far as I can tell they offer absolutely no facilities at all (I asked). It would be far more convenient if I could bike from the nearest station, but I've no idea where to leave it. ATM my only other options are an expensive taxi ride from Swanley, or an hour's walk cross country from Farningham Road station, which what I've been doing. I'm there tomorrow so the latter is my plan.
    So why did you email them after you’d gone? Is this all a wind up?

    I quite obviously intend to go again. I already made it obvious that I've been before, but as usual people are too lazy to read things properly.
Sign In or Register to comment.