Richie Porte... is he finished?

ugo.santalucia
ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,100
edited August 2019 in Pro race
Seems to me...

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/late ... nce-433685

Didn't realise he is already 34, it seems yesterday he was wearing white at the Giro... time flies
left the forum March 2023
«1

Comments

  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,707
    You'd have to question if he's still a GC rider at the Tour that's for sure. In fact no podiums in any grand tour and only a couple of top 10s is a poor return for someone that could climb and TT as well as him.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Love Porte but never quite been the same since his 2017 Tour crash.

    Would love to see him win big at some point but at 34 I doubt it. Would need an amazing team around him to achieve that and he doesn't have that at Trek.
  • Love Porte but never quite been the same since his 2017 Tour crash.

    Would love to see him win big at some point but at 34 I doubt it. Would need an amazing team around him to achieve that and he doesn't have that at Trek.

    He couldn't win with Team Sky around him.
    Certainly not a 3 week GT winner anytime soon, but expect he will see out his contract with a few 1 week stage wins.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    I dont think Porte was ever a real contender, (internet forum persons view) he never seemed to have a winners mentality
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 39,890
    Love Porte but never quite been the same since his 2017 Tour crash.

    Would love to see him win big at some point but at 34 I doubt it. Would need an amazing team around him to achieve that and he doesn't have that at Trek.

    So should he retire? Is he a sad joke or is he still a good rider with a poor team?
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,247
    Lance Armstrong over on his podcast doesn't rate him either but is adamant that Porte could be Ironman Champion. I presume that Porte does triathlon as well. But didn't he actually re-invent himself as a week -race contender? He seems to lack the fire of eg Nibali or Froome but as #2 at Sky in those first Froome wins he was generally superb
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,296
    He is utterly overrated and won't win a GT
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 39,890
    amrushton wrote:
    Lance Armstrong over on his podcast doesn't rate him either but is adamant that Porte could be Ironman Champion. I presume that Porte does triathlon as well. But didn't he actually re-invent himself as a week -race contender? He seems to lack the fire of eg Nibali or Froome but as #2 at Sky in those first Froome wins he was generally superb

    He's reinvented himself as a rider to win a minor stage race in Australia each year when the rest of the peloton are still burning off their Christmas dinner. Seems too mentally fragile to be a team's main GT rider.
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,065
    I can't help but think his focus on the tour has ruined his gt GC ambitions. I think a confidence boosting vuelta attempt a couple of years ago could have worked wonders.

    I like him as a rider, on his day he's one of the very best and I think he's much more likely to win big than Uran, Bardet and several others. He's similar to G in the sense that he's had a career of domestiquing, some great results in 1 week races then a lot of bad luck when gt racing for himself.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    I think he was possibly strong enough to win a GT during his time supporting froome, but he was never going to get that chance at sky.

    Valverde has proven that wins can come at any age, but I don't think Porte has the mental strength to compete with the very best these days.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,206
    I think he’ll win Giro Tour Vuelta.

    [Please delete as a appropriate in case he does ever win one - and then display with the posts from the same bunch of naysayers above who said the same about Geraint].

    There are now three truisms in cycling:

    1) If you want to win a GT, join Team Ineos.
    2) If you want to win everything else, join Deceuninck-QuickStep.
    3) Be Peter Sagan, MVDP or WVA.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,128
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    There are now three truisms in cycling:

    1) If you want to win a GT, join Team Ineos.
    2) If you want to win everything else, join Deceuninck-QuickStep.
    3) Be Peter Sagan, MVDP or WVA.

    4) Richie Porte will win on Willunga Hill at the TdU. Even when he's retired he'll guest for the Austrlaia academy team and win
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,128
    Double post
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,128
    edited August 2019
    In his podcast Lance Armstrong has on several occasions said that Porte would/will win the Ironman.

    I expect he'll try at some point.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,296
    It's a joke because Porte came to cycling from triathlon AFAIK.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,128
    M.R.M. wrote:
    It's a joke because Porte came to cycling from triathlon AFAIK.
    I think he's serious when he says it - and with good reason. Porte is training with Cameron Wurf who came 9th (I think) and Porte is a much better cyclist that Wurf.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,128
    edited August 2019
    Another double post
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,128
    Another double post. Sorry. I need a new mouse
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    M.R.M. wrote:
    It's a joke because Porte came to cycling from triathlon AFAIK.
    That explains his shite bike handling
  • Richie Porte is the GC Mark Renshaw.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    :lol::lol::lol:
    Richie Porte is the GC Mark Renshaw.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,190
    RichN95 wrote:
    M.R.M. wrote:
    It's a joke because Porte came to cycling from triathlon AFAIK.
    I think he's serious when he says it - and with good reason. Porte is training with Cameron Wurf who came 9th (I think) and Porte is a much better cyclist that Wurf.
    There's more to triathlon than the bike ride.

    Wurf has "won" the bike leg in the Ironman world championships at least once (I don't follow it very well so may have done that more than once), but has never come close to winning the overall* because there is the swim and the run to worry about as well...

    *although a quick google suggests he is going very well before the worlds in October, so maybe that will change.
  • redvision wrote:
    I think he was possibly strong enough to win a GT during his time supporting froome, but he was never going to get that chance at sky.

    They made him the leader at the '15 Giro. Almost gave him his own Motorhome too.
  • redvision wrote:
    I think he was possibly strong enough to win a GT during his time supporting froome, but he was never going to get that chance at sky.

    They made him the leader at the '15 Giro. Almost gave him his own Motorhome too.

    I'm sure they gave him a lot of things
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,128
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    M.R.M. wrote:
    It's a joke because Porte came to cycling from triathlon AFAIK.
    I think he's serious when he says it - and with good reason. Porte is training with Cameron Wurf who came 9th (I think) and Porte is a much better cyclist that Wurf.
    There's more to triathlon than the bike ride.

    Wurf has "won" the bike leg in the Ironman world championships at least once (I don't follow it very well so may have done that more than once), but has never come close to winning the overall* because there is the swim and the run to worry about as well...

    *although a quick google suggests he is going very well before the worlds in October, so maybe that will change.
    But Porte started out as a triathlete - he wouldn't be a novice like Wurf. He had a sponsorship deal with Speedo. But he did the Olympic distance with drafting where running (his worst discipline) is the most important, while in Ironman the cycling is possibly the most important.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,190
    RichN95 wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    M.R.M. wrote:
    It's a joke because Porte came to cycling from triathlon AFAIK.
    I think he's serious when he says it - and with good reason. Porte is training with Cameron Wurf who came 9th (I think) and Porte is a much better cyclist that Wurf.
    There's more to triathlon than the bike ride.

    Wurf has "won" the bike leg in the Ironman world championships at least once (I don't follow it very well so may have done that more than once), but has never come close to winning the overall* because there is the swim and the run to worry about as well...

    *although a quick google suggests he is going very well before the worlds in October, so maybe that will change.
    But Porte started out as a triathlete - he wouldn't be a novice like Wurf. He had a sponsorship deal with Speedo. But he did the Olympic distance with drafting where running (his worst discipline) is the most important, while in Ironman the cycling is possibly the most important.

    Well yeah, presumably he moved to cycling because he wasn't as good at running or swimming as he needed to be in triathlon.

    All I am saying is just because he is a better cyclist than Wurf it doesn't necessarily follow that he will be able to win Ironman worlds.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    hes been everesting the madeline so hes already in old man cycle challenge mentality.

    Perfect for the transition to iron man
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 25,982
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Well yeah, presumably he moved to cycling because he wasn't as good at running or swimming as he needed to be in triathlon.

    I would have thought there's more money in cycling, particularly when you are as good a cyclist as Porte. Regardless of ability in swimming and running.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    redvision wrote:
    I think he was possibly strong enough to win a GT during his time supporting froome, but he was never going to get that chance at sky.

    They made him the leader at the '15 Giro. Almost gave him his own Motorhome too.

    I'm sure they gave him a lot of things

    Except a wheel.

    f18527d9-65d3-49c5-8af4-c6d91eb305fe-2060x1236.jpeg?width=300&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=e42143292772d4e22104b969d6ed0ea1
    Correlation is not causation.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,415
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Well yeah, presumably he moved to cycling because he wasn't as good at running or swimming as he needed to be in triathlon.

    I would have thought there's more money in cycling, particularly when you are as good a cyclist as Porte. Regardless of ability in swimming and running.

    But he can't push himself to his limits in cycling. You can only do that in triathlon
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago