Long Term fitness after Pneumonia

vinnymarsden
vinnymarsden Posts: 560
15 months ago I had a VERY bad episode of Pneumonia ..hospitalised..the job lot, I honestly at one stage thought I was going to croak it..but thankfully pulled through...basically wrote off most of last year slowly recovering, some very light riding, nothing silly, a moderate winter and now some reasonable spring, now summer rides.
My question is this...I feel slower, overall, my averages are down, and whilst I am not in the slightest bothered I wonder if it is going to simply be a long term residual lasting effect of a debilitating illness that will simply render me slower etc.
I have done an FTP on Trainer Road and from about 225 pre illness I'm now at 176 and really do feel that's about the sort of range I'm going to be in come what may.
It's a question really aimed at anyone with some medical background....the consultant showed me some scarring on my lung...and told me that wont go, that I assume is going to render my lung capacity etc somewhat reduced I would guess?
Anyone got any guidance?

Comments

• lemonenema
    lemonenema Posts: 216
    For a while itll reduce your aerobic capacity somewhat, but bodies are very adaptable so there's a good chance you'll be able to recover your previous output levels. It will take time, how long is impossible to say.
    My only other query would be any possible damage to your heart, have you had any checks on this at all? I would assume you've had an ECG. If not then at the very least id ask your gp about it in relation to exercise and they should at the least use a stethoscope to listen to the rhythm.
    Have you had any follow up blood tests? Sometimes your white blood cell count can be low for a while.
    Mostly, listen to your body.
  • Don't listen to anyone here. The only advice any real doctor will give you is to ask your GP.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    I wouldn’t get hung up numbers too much at this stage and focus on your enjoyment of cycling and your journey back to good health.

I carry a significant injury to my right knee and rather than focus on what I can’t do, I’ve always considered myself lucky to be on a bike and enjoying the ride. Ok I’m still a bit shallow and still like improving my PB’s but it’s relative to what life throws at us and means squat in real life.

Heal well and quickly.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • lemonenema
    lemonenema Posts: 216
    Don't listen to anyone here.
    that includes you
  • Yup. It's not personal. That includes me, you and every single person here.
  • Thanks ( I think..lol) for the couple of suggestions..I did have a heart thing...all okay...and blood tests are part of the procedure/follow up to ensure the bacteria has left your system ...I think it's just at nearly 60 you simply don't recover from something like that quickly like you would if you were in your 20s maybe.
    I'm still going to resist the Ebike...just for now..unless anyone makes an insane offer for a tricked out TCR!!!
    Thanks
  • NatalieW
    NatalieW Posts: 3
    I know a long time has passed, but wondered how you are doing now? I'm 9 months into my recovery from pneumonia caused by covid, was serious, as was in hospital for a month!