Is my bike kaput after chain snap?

2»

Comments

• david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    hostman wrote:
    DERAILLEUR HANGER 411 did the job, from betd :)

Bike back together, new hanger, new shimano 105 rear derailleur, new chain, new rear gear cable, new bar tape while I was at it!

However ... rear wheel is not true, suspect caused by derailleur and chain jamming in the spokes when the chain snapped, see vid: https://imgur.com/a/2NCkP4v

Looks like new wheel time to me ?

That can be trued very easily, save your money for new bike :)
  • hostman
    hostman Posts: 104
    david7m wrote:
    hostman wrote:
    DERAILLEUR HANGER 411 did the job, from betd :)

Bike back together, new hanger, new shimano 105 rear derailleur, new chain, new rear gear cable, new bar tape while I was at it!

However ... rear wheel is not true, suspect caused by derailleur and chain jamming in the spokes when the chain snapped, see vid: https://imgur.com/a/2NCkP4v

Looks like new wheel time to me ?

That can be trued very easily, save your money for new bike :)

No need to tell the wife that ;)
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Is there any obvious damage to the spokes? Either way might be worth adding another string to your bow and trying to true it.

Use the brake pads to guide, tighten the spoke on the opposing side where it is out of true, a little bit at a time... There's lots of places to learn, take your time.
  • hostman
    TimothyW wrote:
    Is there any obvious damage to the spokes? Either way might be worth adding another string to your bow and trying to true it.

Use the brake pads to guide, tighten the spoke on the opposing side where it is out of true, a little bit at a time... There's lots of places to learn, take your time.

One or two places have some light damage the spoke coating, bigger issue might be rust on the wheels?

NxZ55T6.jpg

Took that pic a view weeks ago, I was going to post on here asking for a view on it.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    is that rust on those spokes???? in an ideal world id replace the affected spokes but practically id rub down those areas, add a smidge of primer and then some paint and forget about it if its superficial.

Your bike has quite a bit of rust, do you store it somewhere damp? It might be worth dealing with the problem there.
  • hostman
    is that rust on those spokes???? in an ideal world id replace the affected spokes but practically id rub down those areas, add a smidge of primer and then some paint and forget about it if its superficial.

Your bike has quite a bit of rust, do you store it somewhere damp? It might be worth dealing with the problem there.

There are a few spots, such as on the spokes in the image posted, with rust, this is probably a thin or poor coating of paint in that area. Bike is 5 years old, spent around 18 months of that time in a garage, rest of the time in office or utility. Beyond that there isn't any other rust on it.
  • Alejandrosdog
    hostman wrote:

There are a few spots, such as on the spokes in the image posted, with rust, this is probably a thin or poor coating of paint in that area. Bike is 5 years old, spent around 18 months of that time in a garage, rest of the time in office or utility. Beyond that there isn't any other rust on it.

Ah then I’d show the mrs tell her the whole bike is on its last legs but you’re working hard to maintain it but the time is coming where only a new bike will be economical. :)

Then I’d pretend to touch up the duff areas

Then I’d buy a new bike but look really pissed off about it. :)
  • hostman
    5 mins with a £5 spoke tool from Halfords has seen some decent improvement compared to previous vid: https://imgur.com/a/uQRAtCh

Will need a truing station + LBS to properly finish it off.

New wheels arrive tomorrow :Dhttps://road.cc/content/review/250442-v ... b-wheelset
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    I would be reluctant to ride those wheels with corrosion like that.
  • hostman

New wheels delivered and fitted this evening :)

Will take a better pic in the morning with some light!
  • Alejandrosdog
    hostman wrote:

New wheels delivered and fitted this evening :)

Will take a better pic in the morning with some light!

A man of action :)
  • hostman
    Before:

5KhpFFa.jpg

After:

iO43lbZ.jpg

I like the look :) Not ridden them yet, will get out later today.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    hostman wrote:
    Before:

5KhpFFa.jpg

After:

iO43lbZ.jpg

tyre logos not aligned with valves.
  • hostman
    hostman wrote:
    Before:

5KhpFFa.jpg

After:

iO43lbZ.jpg

tyre logos not aligned with valves.

They can stay that way until I get a puncture or the tyres wear out :p