Hip issue

funkydisciple
funkydisciple Posts: 65
Intermittent pain I’ve got on my right leg where the hip joint is. When I push down on the pedals to go faster I feel a pinch in the hip joint on my right, not painful, more discomfort, if you know what i mean. Feels like either a nerve issue or muscle issue.

I do all my stretches etc and the pain usually comes in about half way through my rides so all suitably warmed up.

Anyone had any similar issues like that? If so, how did you remedy it?

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Arthritis :?:
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    I wouldn't have thought it's arthritis if by that you mean on the way to a hip replacement - wouldn't that be more likely to present as stiffness when not warmed up initially ? Also I think it's more typically felt in the groin at first - I'm assuming the OP means the outside of the leg when they say hip ?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • I wouldn't have thought it's arthritis if by that you mean on the way to a hip replacement - wouldn't that be more likely to present as stiffness when not warmed up initially ? Also I think it's more typically felt in the groin at first - I'm assuming the OP means the outside of the leg when they say hip ?

The pain is in the groin area.. more front and centre of the right leg. Hope that makes sense. Don’t think it’s arthirits. Can you get it at 33?
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    Yes you can get arthritis at 33 but it is rarer in younger people. If you are worried go to the doctor. You are more likely to have aggravated something in the joint. Time off the bike might help.

Early last year I suddenly had lots of discomfort around a hip joint. It was bad enough that I was off the bike for a bit aft when I started riding again I could ride very far without discomfort. Appling more power increased discomfort. Eventually I decided to have the rest of the year off from the bike. In January I started riding again (on the turbo because winter). My hip was feeling better not still not perfect. Now I am back to being able to ride hard and am slowly building up to riding for the distances I used to be able to do. Sometimes you just have pains for no apparent reason and have to take it easy. Keep stretching and do exercises to strengthen and keep mobility in your joints.
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    Do you get the same when you squat down (body squat)?

And/Or when doing lying on your back and pulling your knee into your chest?

The discomfort sounds somewhat similar to me, I have very tight hip flexors and feeling a pinching at the front/top of the leg when the joint is closed. I do a load of hip flexor foam rolling/trigger point ball stuff and stretching as well as regularly seeing a physio for some extra work on it. It's been going on for ~4 years or so, haven't found a more permanent fix than that.
  • joey54321 wrote:
    Do you get the same when you squat down (body squat)?

And/Or when doing lying on your back and pulling your knee into your chest?

The discomfort sounds somewhat similar to me, I have very tight hip flexors and feeling a pinching at the front/top of the leg when the joint is closed. I do a load of hip flexor foam rolling/trigger point ball stuff and stretching as well as regularly seeing a physio for some extra work on it. It's been going on for ~4 years or so, haven't found a more permanent fix than that.

It doesn’t hurt when i do Saquats. But since reading your post a few days ago i thought I’d give the foam rollers ago and i must say that i feel better than i did. I haven’t ridden my bike but it just felt...looser. I have got an appoint with a physio and from over the phone talk we had he said something about tight hip flexors. I appreciate your post. Spot on.
  • pmannion9
    pmannion9 Posts: 280
    Arthritis can often be miss diagnosed initially as Hip flexor issues...
    I had physio for hip flex or issues but it never improved....
    I know ..it happened to me ..out of the blue. I was 37 at the time. So hopefully it wont be that ....
    If physio doesn't sort it, I would insist on getting an X-ray done as this is the only way they will confirm arthritis..

Good luck...

Ps I had hip replacement 8 months ago and 42 and never been better. touch wood...
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Throw a few quid at a sports physio.

Also work on general flexibility and core strength maybe a bike fit.
  • pmannion9 wrote:
    Arthritis can often be miss diagnosed initially as Hip flexor issues...
    I had physio for hip flex or issues but it never improved....
    I know ..it happened to me ..out of the blue. I was 37 at the time. So hopefully it wont be that ....
    If physio doesn't sort it, I would insist on getting an X-ray done as this is the only way they will confirm arthritis..

Good luck...

Ps I had hip replacement 8 months ago and 42 and never been better. touch wood...

Oohh ok. I will for now stick with some stretches and foam rolling. I am quite active and run without any issues it’s only on the bike that I feel the pain for a few seconds and then rest of the ride I’m fine. Thanks though buddy.
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    How do you go about insisting on an X ray? I'm only 30 but have had hip issues (clicking, crunching and pinching) for maybe 4-5 years now. My Dad broke his pelvis a few years ago and during the X ray the confirmed he had arthritis in his hips. I'm wondering if it's hereditary.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    You could pay for a scan or if you want to go the NHS route you would have to persuade a doctor to refer you (a physio might be able to to refer you) for a scan.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Sounds like a Hip Flexor injury. I had the same a couple of years ago, not regularly stretch them out on most days and the issue hasn't come back.

Get yourself off to a decent sports physio, they'll usually be able to narrow it down to the issue fairly quickly. My symptoms were really clear and I actually self-diagnosed on Google, but seeing the physio a) confirmed the diagnosis, and most importantly b) gave me the appropriate treatment to get me back on my bike pain free
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    joey54321 wrote:
    How do you go about insisting on an X ray? I'm only 30 but have had hip issues (clicking, crunching and pinching) for maybe 4-5 years now. My Dad broke his pelvis a few years ago and during the X ray the confirmed he had arthritis in his hips. I'm wondering if it's hereditary.

On the NHS x rays are quite cheap - so you shouldn't have too much trouble getting one. If it does show OA - getting something done about on the nhs may prove more challenging.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I get hip pain in my left hip usually after gentle strolling. The type of walking you do round the shops or garden centre, cycling seems to alleviate it and walking up hill and Dale doesn’t bring it on.
    A physio I was seeing about my shoulder did a quick assessment thought it was mild arthritis, which my gp agreed with. However other than carry on as normal( physio) do less(gp) no treatment other than suggesting I stretch my tight hamstrings was offered. I was told there was no point in an X-ray as it wasn’t severe enough for treatment.
  • pmannion9
    pmannion9 Posts: 280
    Getting an X-ray can be a bit tricky...
    In my case after physio the hip wasn't getting better.
    Physio thought it might be worth trying a cortisone injection !!!.
    The GP I think has to sign this off - the Dr I saw on the day - not my usual GP - was having none of it and she insisted on having an X-Ray instead. That lead to to arthritis diagnosis......

The NHs is unlikley to fund a hip replacement in younger patients as a priority. I was lead to believe I might have to wait until I was 50. Usually they monitor on a 12 months basis and look at further X-rays to see how it is progressing. If you see a good consultant and can argue your case then you might get lucky. Thats what happened to me...
    It depends how much the arthritis is affecting the quality of your life and what you want to do etc...
    I quit running immediately on first chat with consultant and was happy just to be allowed to keep cycling. I found cycling actually very good. Little affect on the bike but off the bike pain was getting worse..
    Since my hip replacement I cannot believe the difference it has made ....

OP- I think you will be fine - you said you were running without pain - I wasn't...