Indoor training advice without internet

kmcd21
kmcd21 Posts: 105
Quote Edit
I have a need for a training app for indoor bikes like a spin bike or gym bike.

I travel around a lot with work and cannot use my turbo trainer at home. As I’m in random gyms with spin bikes or gym bikes. I do not always have internet coverage either.

Any apps out there or training aids which I could use that don’t depend on Wi-Fi or network coverage ?

Maybe I would be better off buying some type
Of watch to work out interval zones ?

Please help if anyone has ideas or can relate

Thanks
Enduro- YT Capra AL1- 2016
Road- Boardman Team Carbon- 2010
XC- Gary Fisher Marlin- 2002

Comments

• giropaul
    giropaul Posts: 414
    You can do a programme based on pulse rate, working out your zones from your maximum ( Wattbike website has a table, but no doubt there are plenty of others about). If you find a, for instance, Wattbike programme or one out of a cycling magazine just use zone2 pulse instead of zone 2 power. The pulse lags behind power, but the overall trading effect will be directly comparable.
  • OnTheRopes
    OnTheRopes Posts: 460
    What about if you buy some power pedals to fit to Gym bikes? Use that and a heart rate monitor and monitor your session with a Garmin. That's all you need. If you don't have the pedals then just do as giropaul said and work to heart rate zones, for the lower zones heart rate is just as if not more effective than power.
    If you want some training workouts there are plenty about and a couple of good books on the subject
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    You haven't said what your training objectives are, which makes it difficult for anyone to be specific. But generally, just do either 2x20 (relatively long) or tabata (relatively short) - or both. You won't need HR, power, a training app or the internet for either of those.
  • kmcd21
    Ok great thanks for adding your comments.

I have no specific goal in mind like training for an event or competition.

I want to maintain fitness while away at work. It’s difficult to remain motivated when I can’t always follow a program to see gains. Wahoo swift TrainerRoad. While i work away I will never be able to follow these apps. As most time I spend at home is 1 month and then Leave for 5-6 wks work.

As far as finding my training zones I can just do that on a garmin watch like an FR220?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    You won't need zones for 2x20 or tabata intervals..
  • OnTheRopes
    OnTheRopes Posts: 460
    Well you can upload rides from a Garmin to an app like Strava and follow any progress on there either on a laptop when you get online or when you are back home.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    If you basically 'aimless' in your cycling life (nowt wrong with that), download some rainy, narsty , cold , hard ass ed Belgian race videos off YouTube where you have Internet.. you need a YT downloader like 4kvideodownloader. .. other hacks exist. (Yeah, ok you need to be a la mode with computer stuff.. but hey I'm 65 and still work in IT)
    Save 'em to your mobile.
    Just play them in the gym and keep up ... match their cadences, match when they go hard , you go hard.. etc etc
    Smaller races like Le GP Samyn work very well, the 2018 edition was well narsty.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Go to the gym and video the class. Don't get arrested though.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    You don't need an internet connection for Suferfest workouts.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Buy a copy of cycling weekly and hang pages up on a rotary washing line. Train under that on a breezy day and should be pretty authentic.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    I also travel a lot for work and I just use the Wahoo app on my phone to monitor HR and record a HR trace off my Tickr. As Imposter says you don't really need anything special to do 2x20 or whatever (although if you can get out a 2x20 threshold in your typical hotel gym then you are more dedicated than I am - normally a rubbish bike with a horrid saddle in an inconsistently air conditioned room with no fan etc so it is generally a nasty experience).

This then syncs over to Strava and the relative effort score gives you an estimate of progress etc.

I did used to make HR based workouts on the Garmin and record on that but it's fairly unnecessary really, I know what a sweetspot or threshold interval feels like.

I use trainerroad at home (can also do estimated TSS for non-power workouts there too). I try to do the harder workouts at home then when I am away I will just do something a bit simpler to keep the fitness up. I never really know whether the hotel gym will be any good, so planning on doing serious workouts is a bit hit and miss. The last one I was in had an OK spin bike except most of the adjustable things were broken and the saddle wouldn't stay level - the best I could manage was a few sweetspot intervals.

I am not away for 6 weeks at a time though - 2 weeks tops normally.

To be honest on shorter trips I normally try and go out running if the place is safe enough, you get to see some of it then.
  • kmcd21
    “Bobmcstuff”

I can relate to the indoor bike situation.
    I’m not staying in boutique hotels with hi- tech gyms.
    Knackered bikes or sometimes none.

Usually always a treadmill and if a bike avaible I will follow the advice of Tabata intervals and 2x20.

Hrm and power not really necessary at my level Ashe. All I want is to maintain a decent level of fitness.