sungod Posts: 16,438
edited July 2019 in The bottom bracket
'ning

coffee, croissant, lab, avoid webexes, bail
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning, wet start to the day after last nights thunder storm, taking Jane to the garden centre today, so at least I can drive across the wolds and see if all of the freshly gritted roads ( two weeks ago) have settled
    Have a good day
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,832
    Shoot sleep when I need to be well rested :(

Hopefully get away at a good time and have the traffic gods on my side and then I can do the TT, got tired legs, so may use the plastic bike. Then it’s the pub
  • Morning. Pleasant here, dry after a bit of rain yesterday. Will be dropping motor off for new shoes soon then sort stuff out for holiday then a quick spin.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,172
    Good night out out in town with a few mates last night, a few ciders were downed and much bollox was talked. Strifey was in a bad mood when I got back, par for the course really.

Tired now but close to the finish line for the week.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,199
    Foggy and windy here.

Need to 'gaan into toon an' sort a feuw things oot'. They talk funny round here.

World Skiffie championships are on here (imagine that?) and it's bedlam.

Laters.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Morning,

Erm, no rain etc some noisy cars out doing laps an everyones looking for some energy drink guy with a beard.

May knock off early as I have two weeks off from today (well Sunday really) off to watch some cars for a bit, toodles.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Morning, sunny here. OH still wont let me get a motorbike so I've been investigating bike-engined Caterham style kit cars instead. Surprisingly not outrageously expensive.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,978
    Site meeting earlier then finish at 2 and home to paint the decking. I think I might be going climbing tonight, a bouldering wall in Manchester somewhere.

Then tomorrow is a big night out, Sankeys 25th anniversary event at Bowlers in Trafford park. I suspect Sunday will be a write off.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • pinno
    HaydenM wrote:
    Morning, sunny here. OH still wont let me get a motorbike so I've been investigating bike-engined Caterham style kit cars instead. Surprisingly not outrageously expensive.

If you can pick up a Dutton somewhere (or even a Westfield), you could get something even cheaper.
    Stick a 1700 Ford cross flow and it will go like stink. It's mainly fibre glass, which makes it light.
    Motorbike engines have a very short life (shorter if thrashed). I wouldn't touch a second hand motorbike engine unless I could rebuild it and make sure it's A ok*.

There are better shapes than this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283539579996

Ooh looky:

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1110841

*I can hear the patter of VN feet...
  • step83
    Pinno wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

If you can pick up a Dutton somewhere (or even a Westfield), you could get something even cheaper.
    Stick a 1700 Ford cross flow and it will go like stink. It's mainly fibre glass, which makes it light.
    Motorbike engines have a very short life (shorter if thrashed). I wouldn't touch a second hand motorbike engine unless I could rebuild it and make sure it's A ok*.

There are better shapes than this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283539579996

Ooh looky:

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1110841

*I can hear the patter of VN feet...

Cross flow, weber 45's an job done surely? I remember seeing a few daft lumps shoehorned into the over the years, V8's, some horrible K-series (bleugh) and someone managed to get a K20 in, we only realised when it was screaming down the road at some daft RPM.

But yeah, cross flow nice an easy to work on an get bits for. Avoid bike engines you'll forever be fixing the dam thing.
  • haydenm
    Good suggestions, some tidy looking Westfields in budget. Unfortunately do to other more pressing necessities (wedding, rifles and watches) I might have to keep this for a 30th birthday present to myself to give me a year or two breathing space...
  • Stevo_666
    HaydenM wrote:
    The Hayabusa engined Westies were a real hoot and there should be a few around if you know where to look. If all you're doing is having an occasional blast on a nice day then it should be fine.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    Fastest thing (up to 80mph and down to 0) on four wheels I have been in, was a 2.0l Dutton*.
    Next was a re-mapped, stripped out twin turbo Toyota Supra pushing out some silly 515 bhp. Claimed weight of 980 kg's.

*Until recently :D
  • Stevo_666
    Not sure about straight line but I remember getting a few passenger laps in a Radical SR3 around Cadwell Park a fair few years ago with a very good driver at wheel. Came away grinning but thinking I needed better neck muscles.
  • haydenm
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    The Hayabusa engined Westies were a real hoot and there should be a few around if you know where to look. If all you're doing is having an occasional blast on a nice day then it should be fine.

That was my argument for the bike, I have some great quiet-ish A roads around here that I could go for a nice blast along on a sunny evening but she's convinced I'll die immediately. I'm slightly tempted to remortgage the house for a ridiculous yellow Lambo out of spite...
  • haydenm
    I'm 27, certainly not a midlife crisis I hope! My plan to avoid an obvious midlife crisis is to be sufficiently irresponsible with my money from the very beginning so it all blends in...

Unlucky on the ticket, fingers crossed for the appeal
  • step83
    HaydenM wrote:
    Good suggestions, some tidy looking Westfields in budget. Unfortunately do to other more pressing necessities (wedding, rifles and watches) I might have to keep this for a 30th birthday present to myself to give me a year or two breathing space...

Sounds like a great day out!

News from Silverstone is there is no news its all very dull, an cloudy.
  • pinno
    Step83 wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

Sounds like a great day out!

News from Silverstone is there is no news its all very dull, an cloudy.

No crashes? Lewis behaving himself? F1 is pretty dull dontcha think?
  • step83
    Couple of incident, Grosjean crashed in the pit lane, couple of spins and grass excursions no ones done anything exciting.
    Main commotion this weekend is the HAAS Rich Energy fiasco. Waiting to see if Mr Storey makes an appearance, that will be something to see given his comments this week.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    'noon
    Chilling now after riding halfway across the country to save a few quid on the train fare.
    Weather forecast was good so set off accordingly and it rained for most of the way. Blazing hot sunshine for the last hour though which was nice.

Bumped into a school trip on the Tissington trail, tending to some gnarly injuries (grazed knee). We never got to go on cycling trips with school. There's hope for the future generations yet!
  • haydenm
    Storey seems to be a willy of the highest order.
  • Stevo_666
    oxoman wrote:
    A midlife crisis if i ever saw one, Just get a kit car that you can shoehorn a VR6 engine into. My nice day has just come prematurely coming crashing down around me, just received a fuxxing parking ticket for dropping the wife off at work. I only stopped long enough to kick her out. Wait till i see the stupid twunt again, he will get an earful. I await a reply from my appeal.
    I must have been having a mid-life crisis since my late teens :)
  • pinno
    There's a lot to be said about the milk float...
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Evening folks, busy day was had with a cafe based interlude before early bail and pub. Now home and debating getting pizza delivered because bone idleness.
    HM has the right idea, as Stevo and I have done just keep acting irresponsibly. Then it’s not a mid life crisis, it’s just life. Fastest car I’ve ever been in was a Caterham R500 or something. Fastest car they made at the time. Not a patch on some of the bikes I’ve ridden. Fastest bike was a race supermoto, 107kg with a full tank of juice. Lean forward, twist the throttle hold on and kick it through the gears as fast as you can. Handed it back after a manic week relieved I still had a licence.
  • pinno
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    oxoman wrote:
    A midlife crisis if i ever saw one, Just get a kit car that you can shoehorn a VR6 engine into. My nice day has just come prematurely coming crashing down around me, just received a fuxxing parking ticket for dropping the wife off at work. I only stopped long enough to kick her out. Wait till i see the stupid twunt again, he will get an earful. I await a reply from my appeal.

I've having a 5th ...(or is it 6th?), crisis tomorrow.
  • Stevo_666
    Pinno wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    oxoman wrote:

Is this the full on Men-o-Porsche?
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    It seems to have been hot and sunny all week, almost by accident.
    Scored that 100 sqm 3 bed flat in central Wimbledon as temporary accommodation while the builders are in. Should be fun. Anyone fancies a pint at the Alex, I'm just round the corner.
    Dog going to my mum's for the same time frame, which is a relief, not going to have to hide her in case of unannounced landlord visits.
    Weekend is packing sh1t up for the move/build ahead of going to fcuking Florida against my will on Thursday. :roll:
  • pinno
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    oxoman wrote:

Is this the full on Merc-or-Porsche?

Totally.

Now you know that there is a conspiracy between unemployed psychologists and sports car manufacturers.

See if you can spot Seantheconn Hoppy.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Pinno wrote:

I'll keep em peeled for a little Irish fella.
  • pinno
    hopkinb wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

I'll keep em peeled for a little Irish fella.
    Don't accidentally tread on him.
    He'll be wearing a small, green outfit.