TDF 2019: Stage 7, Belfort > Chalon-sur-Saône 12/07/2019 - 230 km *Spoilers*

124»

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Motos.

Depends on speed but at 50kph with the moto at 10m they save roughly 5s per km.

At 5m it’s 12-15 seconds.

Moto alongside is actually a disadvantage.

Moto within 5m from behind is also a small advantage.

You forgot his most insightful bit: Daniel Oss's hairo ain't aero,
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,689
    Motos.

Depends on speed but at 50kph with the moto at 10m they save roughly 5s per km.

At 5m it’s 12-15 seconds.

Moto alongside is actually a disadvantage.

Moto within 5m from behind is also a small advantage.

You forgot his most insightful bit: Daniel Oss's hairo ain't aero,

WHO KNEW
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860
    Valgren winning amstrel was the biggest Moto win I remember
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    On the slow mo replay it’s clear Ewan’s backwheel bounces a lot up off the road in the final 20m.

A suggestion that he’s so far forward on the bike he loses rear traction pretty fast..!

Millar pointed this out on ITV - can't remember for sure, but pretty sure he mentioned it before a replay had been shown, which was a pretty impressive spot. From the head-on the back wheel is terrifyingly all over the place.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,689

Nibali San Remo...
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860

Nibali San Remo...

That runs valgren close but no. Oddly valgrens win was accidentally assisted rather than partisan motos
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Tejay van Ladygarden has confirmed his withdrawal with a broken hand - https://twitter.com/nealrogers/status/1149792024645652481
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,770
    Tejay van Ladygarden has confirmed his withdrawal with a broken hand - https://twitter.com/nealrogers/status/1149792024645652481
    I like what you did there.
    Chapeau if original.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Chapeau if original.

Bit of a traditional name around here; think I got it from ATC - certainly not mine.

I'm amused by the press release suggesting that he's worried about not being able to go slowly around all the other riders, because traditionally that's not something he's struggled with.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1149786229728264193

Ewan power sliding to the line.
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    Thank God that's over and without mishap. (Tejay excluded)

Got back home just for the last few kms. What happened to TJVG?
    You missed an impressive land art celebrating 100 years of a type of horse with a blonde mane and then some of these horses in a field. Apart from the Brian Robinson interview and footage of his stage win 60 years ago ( on ITV 4) those horses were the highlight of the stage.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,153
    Delete
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    On the slow mo replay it’s clear Ewan’s backwheel bounces a lot up off the road in the final 20m.

A suggestion that he’s so far forward on the bike he loses rear traction pretty fast..!

Millar pointed this out on ITV - can't remember for sure, but pretty sure he mentioned it before a replay had been shown, which was a pretty impressive spot. From the head-on the back wheel is terrifyingly all over the place.

Caused entirely by the amount of weight he gets over the front wheel.

It’s costing him wins for sure.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • blazing_saddles
    Tejay van Garderen has been forced to withdraw from the race due to a fractured hand.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,232
    Tejay van Garderen has been forced to withdraw from the race due to a fractured hand.
    That is so Tejay.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Chapeau if original.

Bit of a traditional name around here; think I got it from ATC - certainly not mine.

I'm amused by the press release suggesting that he's worried about not being able to go slowly around all the other riders, because traditionally that's not something he's struggled with.

I must defer to RR on that nickname.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • above_the_cows
    BM5 wrote:
    Thank God that's over and without mishap. (Tejay excluded)

Got back home just for the last few kms. What happened to TJVG?
    You missed an impressive land art celebrating 100 years of a type of horse with a blonde mane and then some of these horses in a field. Apart from the Brian Robinson interview and footage of his stage win 60 years ago ( on ITV 4) those horses were the highlight of the stage.

Bügger. I'm assuming they were Comtois. I clearly missed the best bit.

Magnificent beasts as that miserable bloke from Game of Thrones would say...

ae9d80b2566d89d5030727a7641c9834--war-horses-draft-horses.jpg
  • Lanterne_Rogue

"Alexa, show me a horse with fake tan and peroxide hair that looks like it's just about to audition for Geordie Shore."
  • above_the_cows

"Alexa, show me a horse with fake tan and peroxide hair that looks like it's just about to audition for Geordie Shore."

:lol:
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Viviani takes the intermediate from the bunch (behind the break)

What a waste of time the green jersey competition is.
  • bobmcstuff
    Someone in the bunch doesn't want the break to win.

I've got an awful hangover so I am going back to sleep for a bit. Maybe something will be happening later.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    bobmcstuff wrote:

I've got an awful hangover so I am going back to sleep for a bit. Maybe something will be happening later.

Psst - Bob - I know yesterday's stage was slow, but it's not still going on a whole day later. :lol:
  • blazing_saddles
    Laporte really struggling on the first climb, as is Offredo.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    And there you have it. Yesterday's stage was so forgettable that we've apparently mentally replaced it with a rest day and assumed today is stage 7...
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Psst - Bob - I know yesterday's stage was slow, but it's not still going on a whole day later. :lol:
    Oops