How long does it take to get used to single-side clipless pedals? Is it worth it?

Comments

• bungle73
    bungle73 Posts: 758
    Ugly on a nice race bike.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Bungle73 wrote:
    A bit awkward trying to race if you can’t manage to clip in.
  • bungle73
    Webboo wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:
    A bit awkward trying to race if you can’t manage to clip in.

Who said anything about racing? Who said you need to race to own a race bike?
  • webboo
    It will be a road bike then.
  • bungle73
    Webboo wrote:

Riiiiight. You're making yourself look a bit clueless here.
  • bungle73
    Webboo wrote:

"Road bike" is a generic term. "Race bike" is a specific kind of road bike. You did know that.....right?
  • Bungle73 wrote:
    Webboo wrote:

"Road bike" is a generic term. "Race bike" is a specific kind of road bike. You did know that.....right?
    A race bike is one that is in a race. Clue is in the name.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    For me about 2 or 3 rides if that.

I started with clipless pedals so never had anything else. If you don't get in first time you can pedal without clipping in to keep your momentum up.
  • bungle73
    Bungle73 wrote:
    Webboo wrote:

A race bike is one that is in a race. Clue is in the name.

Er no. A race bike is a bike that is designed for racing. SImples.

https://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/19 ... -race-bike

https://www.merlincycles.com/blog/road- ... explained/

Is this supposed to be a cycling enthusiast forum or not?
  • bungle73
    Dannbodge wrote:

I started with clipless pedals so never had anything else. If you don't get in first time you can pedal without clipping in to keep your momentum up.

But I have to clip in fairly sharpish so that I can accelerate away quickly.
  • Bungle73 wrote:
    When you are clipped in no one can see the pedals. "Ugly" is only for those gear freaks wandering round finding fault with everyone else!
  • bungle73
    Bungle73 wrote:
    When you are clipped in no one can see the pedals. "Ugly" is only for those gear freaks wandering round finding fault with everyone else!

Come off it. Everyone wants their bike to look nice. That style of pedal is not for me anyway.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If you don't race bungle it's not a race bike.
  • bungle73
    cougie wrote:

Of course it is. I've no idea why you are persisting with this after my other post tbh?
  • bungle73
    So, a racing car is not a racing car if it's not racing? That's what you're saying is it?
  • webboo
    Bungle73 wrote:
    Webboo wrote:

But I guess you don’t as given the wheels you struggling to get the freewheel off, were clearly wheels that no one would ever race on.
  • bungle73
    Webboo wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:
    Webboo wrote:

But I guess you don’t as given the wheels you struggling to get the freewheel off, were clearly wheels that no one would ever race on.

What's that got to do with the price of fish? It's a completely different bike..............
  • cougie
    Bungle73 wrote:
    cougie wrote:

Of course it is. I've no idea why you are persisting with this after my other post tbh?

If you look on Trek, Canyon,Planet X - none seem to have race bikes. Just road bikes. Weird eh ?
  • webboo
    Bungle73 wrote:
    Dannbodge wrote:

Why have just robbed someone or something.
  • bungle73
    cougie wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:
    cougie wrote:

If you look on Trek, Canyon,Planet X - none seem to have race bikes. Just road bikes. Weird eh ?

Oh really?

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road-bikes/race-bikes/
  • bungle73
    Webboo wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:
    Dannbodge wrote:

Er because I don't to be holding up people behind me.
  • cougie
    Same bikes are under road bikes bungle. What is this race bike anyway ?
  • bungle73
    cougie wrote:
    Same bikes are under road bikes bungle. What is this race bike anyway ?

An Allez Sprint. A bike specifically designed to be raced in crits. But, apparently, a bike's whose sole purpose on the design board was to compete in races is not a race bike, according to people here.

Why is it, on the internet, people insist on keep arguing the same point, even when presented with incontrovertible proof that they are just wrong? How many sources do I need to present before you people accept it?
  • webboo
    Bungle73 wrote:
    Webboo wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:
    Dannbodge wrote:

Traffic light racing is it.
    Commuter Grand Prix.
  • bungle73
    Webboo wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:
    Webboo wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:
    Dannbodge wrote:

Traffic light racing is it.
    Commuter Grand Prix.

Not quite. But when I'm pulling away from a junction or lights the last thing I want to be doing is holding up someone in a car behind, and I like to get up to speed asap. And my route involves spending a very short time on a narrowish A road, and exiting and entering its side roads.
  • webboo
    Maybe you are getting anxious about getting it in first time, which might mean you are too tense.
    Try to relax and not worry about getting it first go, also try doing it when you don’t have a car up your backside.
    Find a piece of road and just practice setting off.
  • darrell1967
    darrell1967 Posts: 470
    I bought a pair of M520 when I got my Specialized Alez Elite 2 years ago. The reason was because they are white like the bike and I didn’t know there were more than 1 type of pedal.
    When I got my Boardman Air 9.6 I had a spare set of the same pedals that came off my daughters Boardman Comp Hybrid.
    I commute a lot on both bikes so like to to get my shoes in quickly and due to the double sided nature of the SPD it always works. I’m used to them now so I can’t see the point in changing.
    My and my bro in law did the London Nightrider in June, he has SPD SL on his bike and had a lot of trouble at all the stops.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Webboo wrote:
    Maybe you are getting anxious about getting it in first time, which might mean you are too tense.
    Try to relax and not worry about getting it first go

:shock:
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Back in 1971 I had a 5 speed racer. That's what kids called bikes with drop handlebars back then. Think we were still calling them racers when I got a 10 speed bike in 1974.

These days a bike with drop bars is far more likely to be dubbed road, sportive, endurance, adventure, touring, fitness, leisure, gravel etc etc. CX, track and TT bikes often don't use the term race despite the fact that's what they are for.

I'd probably only use the term race bike for one that's specifically designed to be raced or is actually raced
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    So, are those m520 "racing" pedals for your racing bike?