will I ever climb Rosedale Chimney?

2»

Comments

• hdow
    hdow Posts: 184
    The longer reps should be around 85 to 90% MHR. The shorter ones get up to 100%. Working to MHR is OK but Lactate Threshold HR (LTHR) is usually more reliable as its based on your current fitness. The longer ones would be 95 to 100% of LTHR and the shorter ones 102 to 105% of LTHR. Plenty of stuff on web for working out LTHR. Basically its the heart rate you can sustain going all out hour. You can do 30minutes but then reduce by 5%. Do the test when you are rested
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    hahah that is a bonkers climb.

slow and weaving is how i did it, each turn a little surge of power, sweat pouring down my arms, hoping i didnt slip off the bars as i heaved on them to keep going, genuine concern that i might, one or two dicey moments on the turns, Garmin reading 0mph, utter utter stupid climb, great climb with a dozen mini wheelies.

my bike creaked like a barstuard afterwards and i had to re tighten the BB and the chainring bolts. Mental
  • hahah that is a bonkers climb.

slow and weaving is how i did it, each turn a little surge of power, sweat pouring down my arms, hoping i didnt slip off the bars as i heaved on them to keep going, genuine concern that i might, one or two dicey moments on the turns, Garmin reading 0mph, utter utter stupid climb, great climb with a dozen mini wheelies.

my bike creaked like a barstuard afterwards and i had to re tighten the BB and the chainring bolts. Mental

#csb
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • ilovegrace
    ilovegrace Posts: 677
    I live and train in and around the chimney area , and have climbed it many, many times.
    I an not , no way ,a track stander , and have no idea how to do one.
    The only way , the only way to get up the chimney is to be fit , specifically bike fit.
    Mind set , track standing etc might help but if you are not very fit very strong in the legs, well trained, you will not get up !

regards
    ILG
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I too live and train in the Chimney area and consider myself reasonably specifically bike fit. These days I only go near it if I’m in the car :oops:
  • djrikki
    djrikki Posts: 83
    Keef66, was this as part of the Ryedale Rumble sportive on Sunday? That was my first shot at Ryedale Rumble and I can honestly say I walked most of it, it just suddenly ramped up and I was like no way am I gonna get up that today. I think I need lower gears for such climbs as Rosedale.

Vlog from the ride: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jO9Jx3ShkQ

@Ugo thanks for the advice on this thread about track standing practise, seems indeed like a logical way to learn to climb anything about 25%. Definitely more about balance and less about power. I know from personal experience if my Km/h drops below 4-5 I often think about quiting.
  • ilovegrace wrote:
    I live and train in and around the chimney area , and have climbed it many, many times.
    I an not , no way ,a track stander , and have no idea how to do one.
    The only way , the only way to get up the chimney is to be fit , specifically bike fit.
    Mind set , track standing etc might help but if you are not very fit very strong in the legs, well trained, you will not get up !

regards
    ILG

Yep, exactly what I said. You can trackstand all day but if you can't turn the pedals you won't get up a hill.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    it's part of the MIlle Pennines, a 1,000 km Audax. It comes after 800 km or so, so at that point legs are still quite fresh... :-)

I might even enter it next year

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/16-62/
    left the forum March 2023
  • paulwood
    paulwood Posts: 231
    Dear Ugo

I looked at your link. You are mad :-)

love Paul
  • ugo.santalucia
    paulwood wrote:
    Dear Ugo

I looked at your link. You are mad :-)

love Paul

I haven't made up my mind, but it is a logistically simple event, if hard in terms of terrain. The night control is only 78 km from start/finish, so there are ways to abandon without having to find a way back from the middle of nowhere. Others are logistically a nightmare, if easy on the terrain... I prefer the former.
    Anyway, I would be in good company, seeing that normally 100 riders sign up for it
  • davebradswmb
    davebradswmb Posts: 466
    I think that there is a real skill to climbing steep hills - that is hills that are steep enough that you are struggling to turn the pedals when you are in your smallest gear - and it is more to do with getting the crank past top dead centre than anything else. The lower the cadence the harder it is to get past TDC and that is where the skill lies. Less experienced hill climbers try to maintain a high enough cadence to get them over TDC but the effort required is unsustainable and they come to a grinding halt. More experienced hill climbers have the knack of kicking the pedal over TDC even at very low cadences and are able pedal at a more sustainable power.

So it is the minimum cadence that you can sustain combined with the size of your gear that determines how steep a hill you can climb. So if a hill is defeating you then fitting smaller gearing could solve the problem, but you can also train yourself to get better at climbing steep hills just by doing more of it.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    djrikki wrote:
    Keef66, was this as part of the Ryedale Rumble sportive on Sunday? That was my first shot at Ryedale Rumble and I can honestly say I walked most of it, it just suddenly ramped up and I was like no way am I gonna get up that today. I think I need lower gears for such climbs as Rosedale.

Nope, having grown up in Yorkshire I just fancied a few days riding somewhere hillier than where I now live in East Anglia. Looked for a cheap cottage on Air BnB and found one at the foot of Chimney Bank. Tempted to go back in September with 6 weeks of hill reps in my legs...
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Webboo wrote:
    I suspect most of the folks telling the best way to ride Rosedale Chimney have never even seen it.The first time I rode it, I was with 2 juniors who were on British National Team, someone who rode as domestic Professional and later won the Vets national champs plus lots of other classy riders. Out of 20 or so riders only 2 got up without putting a foot down.

Must have been back in the day when they were all on 42*21 or else they all raced into it and blew up ? It's no harder than Hardknott Pass and any 3rd cat with fresh legs could get up that IF all they wanted to do was reach the top without stopping and they had say a compact with a 27.

It makes a huge difference how you approach these hills, go in as slow as possible without stopping and just keep it up, any chance you get to sit down without the front wheel lifting take it.

No disrespect to the OP - age obviously is a factor and I find - I'm well into vet status myself - that climbing steep stuff is one of the things that does get harder as you get older along with explosive accelerations.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • keef66
    No disrespect to the OP - age obviously is a factor and I find - I'm well into vet status myself - that climbing steep stuff is one of the things that does get harder as you get older along with explosive accelerations.

None taken; that's the reason I posted the question. I've only ever been a leisure cyclist. Never raced, never trained. As a teen / young adult I rode miles on a gas-pipe '10 speed racer', but the bike got nicked, and then life got in the way. FFWD to 50, knee surgery, and a need for low impact exercise, I bought a road bike. 12 years on I'm definitely fitter and lighter, but some of the weight loss has been muscle and my MHR is creeping downwards. This thread has made it clear I need to do some proper structured hill training if I want to climb stuff like this at my age.
  • ugo.santalucia
    keef66 wrote:
    This thread has made it clear I need to do some proper structured hill training if I want to climb stuff like this at my age.

That's because you only read what you want to hear... so that you can get motivated to do some training... this thread has also made it clear that with smaller gears and a better handling of the bike at low speed, you can indeed go up a 30% climb without doing hill reps
  • keef66
    I think to be honest I probably need to do both. We'll see...