Purchasing A Road

Wayne Plunger
Wayne Plunger Posts: 444
edited July 2019 in Road buying advice
Seems peculiar that as this is the Road Buying section nobody has ever asked for advice on buying a road!

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Thanks for posting..
  • As it happens I part own a road as we bought land 20 years ago and built our house and the road was put in by the land seller but has not beeen adopted by the local authority so we part own it along with 3 others.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,019
    More details of your road are needed to see if it's the right road for you.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    As it happens I part own a road as we bought land 20 years ago and built our house and the road was put in by the land seller but has not beeen adopted by the local authority so we part own it along with 3 others.

My father in law owns a road in a similar situation.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    But before buying a road you need a professional fit or you won't be able to use it properly.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    As it happens I part own a road as we bought land 20 years ago and built our house and the road was put in by the land seller but has not beeen adopted by the local authority so we part own it along with 3 others.

So what's your dream R+1
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773
    Jebel Hafeet Mountain Road in Abu Dhabi is private so possibly available for sale.

Jebel%20Hafeet%20Mountain%20Road0.jpg
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    Imposter wrote:
    Thanks for posting..

Do you spend all your time monitoring Bike Radar?
  • mrfpb
    joe2008 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Thanks for posting..

He's missing bottommuncher
  • joe2008
    mrfpb wrote:
    joe2008 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Thanks for posting..

He's missing bottommuncher

He's missing something for sure
  • imposter2.0
    joe2008 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Thanks for posting..

No more time than you, I imagine. What a strange thing to ask..
  • bonk_king
    bonk_king Posts: 277
    Seems peculiar that as this is the Road Buying section nobody has ever asked for advice on buying a road!

I've been thinking of buying a road for a while, can you give me some advice please.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Sa Calobra would have to be on the shortlist, as long as they throw in that shack where they do the fresh orange juice
    sa-calobra-climb-mallorca-cycling.jpg
  • joe2008
    Imposter wrote:
    joe2008 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Thanks for posting..

Hmmm, you're credited with more than 8000 more posts than myself, and I've been on here 5 years longer than you, so you'd be imagining wrong.

The reason I ask is that every time I do look on here you always seem to be very quick with a somewhat sarcastic answer.
  • imposter2.0
    joe2008 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    joe2008 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Thanks for posting..

Hmmm, you're credited with more than 8000 more posts than myself, and I've been on here 5 years longer than you, so you'd be imagining wrong.

The reason I ask is that every time I do look on here you always seem to be very quick with a somewhat sarcastic answer.

Ah, the old 'post-count' riposte - excellent use of logical fallacy there. Some people are quick with sarcasm (when needed) and some people aren't, Joe...
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773
    bompington wrote:
    Sa Calobra would have to be on the shortlist, as long as they throw in that shack where they do the fresh orange juice
    If you could manage to buy it then banning buses and hire cars would be first point of order.
    Second would be banning cyclists that can't hold a line.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • joe2008 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    joe2008 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Thanks for posting..

Wouldn't waste your energy Joe, he appears to be the self appointed board humour monitor. At least all other posters saw it was a bit of fun and joined in accordingly to bring a little light hearted distraction to the day.
  • imposter2.0
    Wouldn't waste your energy Joe, he appears to be the self appointed board humour monitor.

Humour is subjective, Wayne. Irony isn't though...
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    More details of your road are needed to see if it's the right road for you.

And pictures would be useful too.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    the humber bridge is also a private road. i wonder if that's a general rule for toll bridges?

we could probably get it for free if we take on the debt?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    I have a short private road (well, a drive really!) that has some wear. Can anyone advise what standard of stone I should be using to repair? It's concrete by the way.

What would a suitable upgrade be?
  • mrfpb
    Me-109 wrote:
    I have a short private road (well, a drive really!) that has some wear. Can anyone advise what standard of stone I should be using to repair? It's concrete by the way.

Coal. It's got to be carbon.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    mrfpb wrote:
    Me-109 wrote:

No good in the rain though.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    I thought motorists owned all the roads anyway - y'know, on account of all that Road Tax that they pay?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,247
    Imposter wrote:
    Wouldn't waste your energy Joe, he appears to be the self appointed board humour monitor.

Humour is subjective, Wayne. Irony isn't though...

Try telling that to Alanis.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,387
    mrfpb wrote:
    Me-109 wrote:

Just don't understand this modern obsession with carbon. Standard gravel or planings are perfectly adequate for most real world uses and often just as light or lighter than coal (depending on the modulus of the coal) and can be just as aero. Get on your road and enjoy it - don't worry about what other people think
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • manglier
    manglier Posts: 1,211
    Coke (and I don't mean the fizzy pop) has got to be better than coal surely?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,320
    Manglier wrote:
    Coke (and I don't mean the fizzy pop) has got to be better than coal surely?
    Good lord no, imagine opening the curtains one morning to see Michael Gove trying to snort your road.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Anyone who has had the misfortune to have cycled on a cinder track will know that carbon is not as good a road material as many claim.
    Titanium, on the other hand...
    Team%2B115%2BAkron%2BBlue.jpg
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Shirley silk would be the best material for a road as we all want ride on a road that’s as smooth as ..............