Will training on drops improve TT position power (and visa versa)

CptKernow
CptKernow Posts: 467
So, I trained all winter on the turbo, on the hoods. I wasn't just being slack about not training in aero, but thought I'd give my back a rest.

Anyway, predictably, my FTP is good on the hoods and I'm going well uphill... Less amazing is when I get on the drops, and when I did my first TT this week the power was about 20W down on my FTP.

Obviously I need to put in more time in an aero position, but what I'm wondering is whether I should get some aero extensions for the trainer bike, or just train on the drops. I.e. are the muscles used in TT position similar to those used when on the drops/ aero hoods?

One outcome I'd like is to be faster in TTs, but I'd also like to be able to keep the power down on long solo rides on the road bike, whilst staying aero.

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Get the tri bars and practise.
    Anyways you seem to be yet another one obsessed with power when doing time trials is nowadays about being aero and the speed gains and lessening the expenditure to keep those speed gains going.
    If your back is a concern then it is a weakness you should address.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    If your TT position compromises your potential wattage output... then you need to look at your TT position.

That might sound harsh, but if being aero doesn't gain you 21W then losing 20W through being aero is an issue.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • CptKernow
    CptKernow Posts: 467
    OK. Maybe I will ask the question another way... TT isn't my main thing, I'd much rather be fast on a road bike, which as far as I know requires holding an aero position.

So, if I train in TT position will that help me hold power when also riding the road bike on the drops (and visa versa)

RE: power. Sorry to bang on about it, but that's what makes the wheels go round...
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    No.

You clearly want to get your power up as much as possible.

If your position on the bike is hindering you getting the power out - you need to look at the position you want to use on the road.
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    Training more on the tt bike is never a bad idea but 20w is not a big difference imo.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I guess you did your training on the hoods with straight arms - not bent ...

It's fine giving your back a rest, but you do need to put some training in the position you're intending to be riding in.
    TT bike tends to have the saddle up and forwards more than the road bike (opening up the hip widgerywotsits) so you may want to reflect that position on your training bike ... or just put some more miles in on the TT bike ... you can always use a cheaper wheelset ;)
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,270
    Get the aero bars, they're ace
    left the forum March 2023
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    CptKernow wrote:
    One outcome I'd like is to be faster in TTs, but I'd also like to be able to keep the power down on long solo rides on the road bike, whilst staying aero.
    Then train in the drops as much as you can.

As long as you do some longer TTs on the aerobars that will probably be enough training in that specific position (unless your TT position is significantly more radical than the drops on your road bike).
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Just train what you want to improve, if that's primarily being fast on a road bike say in a solo break or doing turns into the wind then find what appears to be an aero road position and train in that position - I don't necessarily think a TT position will work for that as for that you'd also have probably have the saddle forwards etc.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]