Cobo DQ Vuelta 2011? - may contain rumours

13»

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,816
    I wonder if the timing of this has anything to do with the Cobo announcement, cos I never thought I'd see the day.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/raci ... ies-427584
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Will watch the prog (de kleedkamer) from which they got the quote an report back.

After all, I’m a big Pandy Schleck fan.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    I wonder if the timing of this has anything to do with the Cobo announcement, cos I never thought I'd see the day.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/raci ... ies-427584

Nout to do with it.

Watched the prog. They focus on a different race every episode and see how the protagonists are getting on nowadays. Sometimes they talk about the race, sometimes they don't. It's all very open ended. In between that they have the usual people sitting around the table drinking wine (which is the staple for pretty much 30% of all Dutch speaking TV output). In this instance it was all DSs from that era except for Jose de Cauwer.

Schleck just basically says, in classic Schleck style, that ultimately he thinks Contador is a good bloke, but he broke the rulez according to the experts and so the race was handed to Schleck, so Contador should just stop whining.

Contador gets quite emotional when describing his brother telling his parents about it.

A few more interesting tidbits from that.

Managing the ADR team cost Jose de Cauwer so much money that it was only 2017 that he finished repaying the debts he owed. When asked if he thought it was worth it, he said he really didn't know since it was an awful lot of money. He had to sell a house and a whole bunch of land he had just to cover the repayments...

Bruyneel is on it too, with Dirk Demol. Demol says Contador was even stronger mentally than Armstrong was. Said Contador really got under Armstrong's skin and Armstrong got frustrated he couldn't do anything to retaliate.

Some sad chat about Ullrich from Rudy Pevenage but nothing particularly new. He's basically in the throws of drug addiction and having the same behaviours some of us will be unfortunate enough to recognise.

Predictably Bruyneel and Pevenage say they are disappointed they've been singled out for things that were so widespread, but at the same time they did OK out of it so they're trying to move on. Pevenage recently recovered from some throat cancer, so his perspective was a little broader than it has been in the past.

Contador still rides 3 times a week and insists on averaging 40kph over 2-3 hours....