36/46 poor choice

Comments

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    50 x 11 is a bigger gear than 53 x 12 which always puts these discussions into perspective.

As much as I loved to be a billy big balls when I got into cycling and rode everywhere on 53x39 and 11-25, it's totally unneccessary.

If you find a compact chainset either too spinny or too grindy then it is simply misuse of gears.

34x25 will get you up some fairly steep gradients and I know ugo is fairly svelte. Then on the other side, 50x11 will allow you to pedal fairly comfortably at around 30 mph (excluding spinning out which I always thought was a nonsense, as it's not a comfortable cadence to hold for a long time when on a chaingang).

if you are unable to find the gears in between then there is likely some some user error at hand here.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,309
    Joe Totale wrote:

Good find the Shimano...

14 T is going to be better than 16 T... maybe good enough...
    left the forum March 2023
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,657
    Personally I can't wait to put a 48-31 on the bike! Spiiinny Spinny!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Ta specialities do rings. Not cheap though but good rings never are cheap.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Just checked the importers site and the Syrius 110 bed rings are available in 110mm bcd but pair of rings is £100. They should last longer than the shimano originals though.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Or you could get the Spa Zicral rings for a fraction of the price which are made from the same hard wearing material.

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s210p0/ ... nrings-Spa
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,019
    50 x 11 is a bigger gear than 53 x 12 which always puts these discussions into perspective.

As much as I loved to be a billy big balls when I got into cycling and rode everywhere on 53x39 and 11-25, it's totally unneccessary.

If you find a compact chainset either too spinny or too grindy then it is simply misuse of gears.

34x25 will get you up some fairly steep gradients and I know ugo is fairly svelte. Then on the other side, 50x11 will allow you to pedal fairly comfortably at around 30 mph (excluding spinning out which I always thought was a nonsense, as it's not a comfortable cadence to hold for a long time when on a chaingang).

Yes but then again with modern cassettes a 53*42 with a 12-28 or something like that will get you (assuming you are a reasonably fit cyclist) up pretty much anything too.

The beauty of modern 11 or 12 speed groupsets is that for 90% of us now the spread of gears available is such that we could easily run an old fashioned double or a compact and still get the gears top and bottom that we need. For that reason I have got some sympathy with Ugo's argument that a smaller drop between the chainrings is better.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • shirley_basso
    yeah but 50-34 and 11-25 gives you a tighter spread across the same range, further debunking the nonsense that you're either spinning or grinding
  • ugo.santalucia
    yeah but 50-34 and 11-25 gives you a tighter spread across the same range, further debunking the nonsense that you're either spinning or grinding

A compact requires you to trim the rear when you jump from big ring to small ring and vice versa, a 36 x 46 can do without it.

For instance, at the begininning of an incline I might be on a 46 x 21, as I find it too hard I can drop it to a 36 x 21 and it's about right for a 6-7% climb.

In the same scenario, I would be on a 50 x 23 and I would have to go to a 34 x 20 (so either 21 or 19 on the same cassette as above), so I'd have to shift the rear at least once, or more likely twice.

I prefer the closer front ratio and that's a fact. I've had all kinds of double 53 x 39 is good but can be hard on long hilly rides... 50 x 34 has the issues above, which are a pain when the terrain keeps changing...
    Overall 36 x 46 is the one that suits me best and hence the one I would like to keep using. Not being able to pedal at over 50 km/h is not a big issue for me, as I don't do chain gangs... I don't do gangs in general, but that's a different story.

We are all different in our needs and I can see why folks who use their bike for shorter, faster rides prefer a bigger ring at the front and don't mind the drop too much.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,657
    I think the reality is Ugo is that you are no less than FORCED to upgrade to Di2 with the automatic front shifting thing...

It's your only solution
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • shirley_basso
    Fair enough. It does depends where you ride and the terrain.

I don't really think about the inconvenience of changing gear all that often. Have you tried di2 ;)
  • ugo.santalucia
    How did we escalate from a search for a chainset to Di2?
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333

Because you're not a fan of big jumps between chainrings and the impact it has on your cadence. With Di2 and Synchroshift that's all a thing of the past.
    As usual the best solution to a problem is to throw money at it.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028

Because apparently you need help changing gear..
  • ugo.santalucia
    Joe Totale wrote:
    As usual the best solution to a problem is to throw money at it.

Indeed, I've just ordered one new bearing for the front hub!
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    I know this doesn't help but I don't get how simultaneously changing the rear and the front is a hassle as you described a few posts back.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Craigus89 wrote:
    I know this doesn't help but I don't get how simultaneously changing the rear and the front is a hassle as you described a few posts back.

Can we agree is more hassle than not having to do it?

In an ideal scenario, I would like my chainset to fit with my so called "style" rather than having to adapt to the chainset. I never really liked compact when I had one 10 years ago.

IF a 10 T jump option is not available, then I'll have to make do with 16 or 14 or whatever is available.

At the moment I look at the new 4 arm cranksets and marvel at the price tag for a 36/46 option (only R 8000), not to speak about the price of a new outer ring... unless I get some inheritance, I might be better off sticking with what I've got (5 arms) and giving it yet another ring.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    At the moment I look at the new 4 arm cranksets and marvel at the price tag for a 36/46 option (only R 8000), not to speak about the price of a new outer ring... unless I get some inheritance, I might be better off sticking with what I've got (5 arms) and giving it yet another ring.

I'm sticking with my 5 arm Shimano chainsets / cheap chainrings regardless of my financial situation...
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    SPA CYCLES XD-2

or

Sugino Mighty Tour - 901D for biig ££££££££££££££ :roll:

But dunno why you want to replace whole crankset just coz one ring is worn?
  • ugo.santalucia
    Moonbiker wrote:
    SPA CYCLES XD-2

or

Sugino Mighty Tour - 901D for biig ££££££££££££££ :roll:

But dunno why you want to replace whole crankset just coz one ring is worn?

It's old... probably done 30,000 miles... things don't last forever... eventually they break
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,936
    Is the solution not as simple as Stronglight rings with the number of teeth of your choice?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ugo.santalucia
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Is the solution not as simple as Stronglight rings with the number of teeth of your choice?

I have replaced the ring twice already in the past... I am just thinking whether the axle part will last indefinitely or not...

Basically all I wanted to know was whether there was some knowledge that Google didn't answer to... seemingly the choice of 36 x 46 was as per search engine...
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    I’m not sure they make chainsets as well anymore. Change the ring, it’s easiest and cheapest.

I’ve broken 2 dura ace9000 and one ultegra crankset in the last 18months. Never happened to me before
  • sparquin
    sparquin Posts: 69
    Going back a couple of years but . . .
    My bike came with a Praxis Zayante crankset and 50/34 rings. I got the shop to swap a pair of Praxis 48/36 rings on there instead - I like closer ratios at the front too. Praxis still make both of those things.
    A quick search also shows the Shimano CX50 available with 170mm cranks and 46/36 rings at Chain Reaction Cycles:
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-105-cx50-double-10sp-chainset-black/rp-prod70118
    The CX70 was nicer/shinier as I recall, but it seems to be discontinued.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Sparquin wrote:
    Going back a couple of years but . . .
    My bike came with a Praxis Zayante crankset and 50/34 rings. I got the shop to swap a pair of Praxis 48/36 rings on there instead - I like closer ratios at the front too. Praxis still make both of those things.
    A quick search also shows the Shimano CX50 available with 170mm cranks and 46/36 rings at Chain Reaction Cycles:
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-105-cx50-double-10sp-chainset-black/rp-prod70118
    The CX70 was nicer/shinier as I recall, but it seems to be discontinued.

Yes, I could replace like for like, although a reasonably priced "upgrade" is always nice, but seemingly no such luck
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Dunno if ihere is any more chance @ 30,000 miles of the crank breaking than a brand new one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathtub_curve

Might be at the bottom of the curve for another 30,000 miles.

cx50 798g bb 77g = 875g

SPA CYCLES TD-2 650g Seiki LN bb 231g = 880g

So hollowtech saves 5g?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    The CX50 has solid cranks / spider and a steel spindle. As long as you don't bugger up the splines by letting the NDS crank fall off I think it will last longer than you. Just keep replacing the rings and do a bit more to save the planet
  • ugo.santalucia
    keef66 wrote:
    . Just keep replacing the rings and do a bit more to save the planet

Good point, actually...
    I always live in hope that these things get recycled once thrown in the metal skip, but even recycling metal has a lot of CO2 involved.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Moonbiker wrote:
    Dunno if ihere is any more chance @ 30,000 miles of the crank breaking than a brand new one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathtub_curve

Might be at the bottom of the curve for another 30,000 miles.

cx50 798g bb 77g = 875g

SPA CYCLES TD-2 650g Seiki LN bb 231g = 880g

So hollowtech saves 5g?

The CX50 isn't a very light set of cranks - the arms are solid alu as I recall, rather than hollow like 105 upwards.

And does the spa weight include chainrings?

Curveball option is to buy a new Power2max set of cranks and gain a powermeter....