Alcohol & Personal Responsibility

124»

Comments

• haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    That's my view, statistically speaking you're more likely to benefit from cycling than lose out. If only there was a way to stack the odds in your favour.

I think not riding in London is quite a big one. There was a thing about it out a while ago, I remember it being something in the region of doing over 5 hours cycling in London a week and the balance switched in terms of benefits/risk, don't quote me on that though...
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    That's my view, statistically speaking you're more likely to benefit from cycling than lose out. If only there was a way to stack the odds in your favour.

Don't ride in dense traffic, make yourself seen, stick to the highway code, use good lights and avoid dark or unlit roads where possible, keep your bike well maintained particularly brakes and tyres, assume everyone else on the road hasn't seen you and that they will pull out on you and they actively want to kill you or will do something moronic like step into the road whilst reading their smartphone. The list isn't exhaustive and not everyone will be able to stick to all of it but doing some or all of them will reduce your odds of death or severe injury.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    HaydenM wrote:

I think not riding in London is quite a big one. There was a thing about it out a while ago, I remember it being something in the region of doing over 5 hours cycling in London a week and the balance switched in terms of benefits/risk, don't quote me on that though...

https://ig.ft.com/sites/urban-cycling/

pollution-london-large.png
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    That looks like it, I seem to remember the same including accidents but I'm clearly not looking hard enough.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Of course too much alcohol and cycling in London the graph would be different.

back to topic!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    pollution-london-large.png
    That could drive a man to drink...
    Although not being in London means I can't use that excuse...
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Cycling is a healthy addiction.

Cycling is a healthy hobby, no addiction is healthy.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • tangled_metal
    Denial! It's hard for an addict to admit their addiction. :wink:

Seriously though, it does seem that some cyclists are into it more than a simple hobby. Into cycling and the associated aspects like gear buying and bike fettling more obsessively than a simple hobby.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I guess I just define addiction differently.

No problem having a passion but when it is at the determent of your life and health and you can't stop even when you know you should that's when it is an addition
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    If your buying kit and hiding the purchase from your other half
    If you're buying stuff you can't really afford because "it's a bargain/looks nice/the pros use it"
    Watching the TdF when you're being paid to do some work

You may be an addict
  • tangled_metal
    edited June 2019
    If you're buying stuff then trying it on then sending it back because it's the wrong yellow...

Well it might be intervention time for your own good. :wink::D
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    If you're buying stuff then assuming it on our sending it back because it's the wrong yellow...

Would yould you very explaing of your first understsence? please.
  • tangled_metal
    Robert88 wrote:
    If you're buying stuff then assuming it on our sending it back because it's the wrong yellow...

Autocorrect on my phone has a few wobbles, like most do, but it's becoming more unstable if late. I do not know how it can make some of the changes because there's no similarities between the word I typed and the correction made. Hopefully the updated post makes more sense. It might have to be a regular on a certain thread on here to get the reference (clue : I think there's someone who seems to rarely leaves this certain thread and likes yellow).

Probably a bit unfair but if I post a discount link to a yellow cycling top later it'll be OK! :wink:
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,366
    Robert88 wrote:

Autocorrect on my phone has a few wobbles...

No, he's pi$$ed.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!