6-8 Minute Intervals London

timmyotool
timmyotool Posts: 172
Does anyone know of any good areas to do 6-8 minute intervals in London, ideally uphill or at least flat.
I can think of plenty of places to do 3-4 minute efforts but none longer without having to go out towards the M25.
Regents park probably to many traffic lights, Richmond Park, I can't think of a sustained uphill/flat section.
South London you have Layhams and Featherbed lane but they're a bit far for my liking.

Where do people do theirs, or is it one for the turbo?

Comments

• joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    College Road going up to Crystal Palace is a classic and meets your criteria. Some of it is a private road so there's never too many cars. You always see plenty of cyclists on it doing reps.

Otherwise Maze Hill in Greenwich is another one that's not too busy.

I know that ideally you're looking for longer but there just isn't anything springing to mind.
  • Thigh_burn
    Thigh_burn Posts: 489
    If you’re happy with riding in a circle, then the Inner Circle at RP doesn’t have any traffic lights
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    If you go early enough the clubs have actually worked with the Royal Parks to have the lights re-synced to help laps before 7am.

If you're quick enough, you could / should get round the outer ring in 6 minutes.
  • timmyotool
    timmyotool Posts: 172
    Thanks everyone, I'd forgotten about the inner circle, I used to use it years ago but the surface was terrible, I seem to remember that someone told me some work had been done on it a while ago.
    Never knew about the light synching before 7. Surprised the royal parks were so agreeable! And hah! 6 minutes is a dream, I'd be happy with 8.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    timmyotool wrote:
    Thanks everyone, I'd forgotten about the inner circle, I used to use it years ago but the surface was terrible, I seem to remember that someone told me some work had been done on it a while ago.
    Never knew about the light synching before 7. Surprised the royal parks were so agreeable! And hah! 6 minutes is a dream, I'd be happy with 8.

It's been like that for perhaps 2y now. A few clubs are working with royal parks to help improve the use of the place for sports and recreation not a cut through for taxis. While gates are shut pre 7 it's awesome. KoM may be 5 mins now!
  • the_jackalcp
    the_jackalcp Posts: 276
    Also achievable in Richmond park

Go from robin hood roundabout to top of sawyers is approx 7 minutes ( for me at least). It's where I, and many others, do intervals.
    https://www.bikeauthority.cc/
    IG - bikeauthority.cc
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    timmyotool wrote:

Inner Circle has been resurfaced. It's lovely.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • shamrock134
    shamrock134 Posts: 714
    Depending on the time of day you do have to be slightly careful smashing it round the Inner Circle as the pedestrians don't always pay attention.

It is perfect though now it's been resurfaced. I did a 20min test there last week, very good for consistent intervals.