Rate the Giro

124»

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    There's no way any team would be tempted to calibrate their power meters to give a false reading is there? I mean, this is cycling we're talking about. Whiter than white.
    It would be done in a controlled environment, so it would be a bit harder to do that. It's not like online where you can just enter a false weight and fly off...

The race or the trainer sponsor for the race (e.g., Wahoo or whoever) could provide the turbo trainers and for the race use the trainers' internal powermeter.

This would probably an absolute requirement anyway, because different types of PMs read slightly differently even if accurately calibrated (i.e., hub, crank and pedal meters could give 1% or so different readings because there's small losses through the system, or single-sided PMs work by doubling up etc.). In the context of an individual rider tracking their performance over time these differences are largely irrelevant provided the rider uses the same PM all the time (i.e., it doesn't really matter much if your PM underreads by even a huge margin so long as it always underreads by the same %).

However in the context of a big race like the Giro it would be important that all riders where using exactly the same type, because these guys are all competing within pretty close margins already.

And that's why it's not going to happen. Each team is sponsored by a PM maker.

And they will also have a turbo trainer sponsor, who might not want to see the team competing on a different type.

For the race to work they would have to insist that everyone was on the same type of Wahoo Kickr (for the sake of argument), provided and calibrated by the manufacturer. That doesn't mean they can't have their own PMs installed as normal for their own recording purposes.

I am not sure that is insurmountable - but you're right that it might make it a bit harder.

penalises aero riders
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,230
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    A day or too before that US Masters golf tournament, they have a fun par competition. Some take it seriously, some mess about - but they all play. There may be a prize, I don't know. It's not part of the main tournament but it draws a big crowd.

Maybe the GTs could do something like that. Get Zwift to put up a prize fund. Let pros ride it as they like, maybe offer a selection of courses. Run it as part of the team presentations.

Didn't they do something like that this year over the opening TT course?
    I think Zwift made the Prologue course available and TV showed it alongside the real thing, but I don't remember any pro Zwifting it themselves. Maybe I missed it.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/raci ... 019-422532

Pics of them on stage doing the TT at the bottom of this page: https://zwift.com/news/14612-giro-ditalia
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750
    A turbo for each rider or hours of endless setting up?
    Can't see it.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,918
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Another thing is I would find it at least a bit interesting to have all the riders do what would be essentially an official weigh-in followed by an FTP test at the start. People spend enough time guesstimating riders' power on climbs, so there would presumably be some other people interested in that too. You'd get a lot of information about who was on form etc. and you could see what their actual w/kg was. Although some of the GC riders would probably deliberately undercook it, you probably don't want to be giving away accurate figures like that at the start of a grand tour.

I do agree with all the comments about it being dull to watch and not really a race etc., so I have the same kinds of problems with having it be an actual part of the Giro race.

FTP test wouldn't be relevant or needed, just an official weigh in, and identical turbos, all independently calibrated.
    quite a few of the pros did the Zwift prologue course on the Thursday.

I don't think it should form part of the actual race, but it would be fun to get a large number of them do a pre-Giro (or other GT) 90 minute Zwift race on say the Thursday, a bit of a pro-am event if you like.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Another thing is I would find it at least a bit interesting to have all the riders do what would be essentially an official weigh-in followed by an FTP test at the start. People spend enough time guesstimating riders' power on climbs, so there would presumably be some other people interested in that too. You'd get a lot of information about who was on form etc. and you could see what their actual w/kg was. Although some of the GC riders would probably deliberately undercook it, you probably don't want to be giving away accurate figures like that at the start of a grand tour.

I do agree with all the comments about it being dull to watch and not really a race etc., so I have the same kinds of problems with having it be an actual part of the Giro race.

FTP test wouldn't be relevant or needed, just an official weigh in, and identical turbos, all independently calibrated.
    quite a few of the pros did the Zwift prologue course on the Thursday.

I don't think it should form part of the actual race, but it would be fun to get a large number of them do a pre-Giro (or other GT) 90 minute Zwift race on say the Thursday, a bit of a pro-am event if you like.

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear - the prologue itself would be essentially an FTP test (a TT on a turbo trainer...)
  • neonriver
    neonriver Posts: 228
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Sorry can't see why anyone would be interested certainly not casual fans. 176 riders standing on a scale that riding a turbo trainer! People would switch off after max 3 riders.

The weigh works as drama for boxing/mma because there is always the "spontaneous" fight but even then no one turns on to watch its only picked up for a 30sec sports report.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    neonriver wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Sorry can't see why anyone would be interested certainly not casual fans. 176 riders standing on a scale that riding a turbo trainer! People would switch off after max 3 riders.

The weigh works as drama for boxing/mma because there is always the "spontaneous" fight but even then no one turns on to watch its only picked up for a 30sec sports report.

Did you actually read what I wrote about it being dull to watch and shouldn't be a part of the actual race?

They could do it all at once, there's no reason why they would need to do them back to back is there. I wouldn't watch it either, but I would have a passing interest in the outcome in terms of what it might mean for the rest of the race.

E.g., X rider starts in the pink jersey because he did better in the Zwift prologue, has higher w/kg etc - what do we think this means for the rest of the race, are they going to fade etc., who do we think is going to improve, who's off the boil etc.. I mean basically the same as a conventional short prologue TT, really, which are also usually pretty boring.

The weigh in would be a necessary part of having a fair Zwift race, but it would be an extension of the normal speculation about who's looking lean, who's especially fit etc.

I'm basically playing devil's advocate, I don't think they should do it. But if it is going to happen anyway, so long as it doesn't take away from the road stages later on I wouldn't care very much. Remember that the start of all GTs is a lot of speculation about who is going well and so on, this would only be an extension of that.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,310
    penalises aero riders

Check Connor's crazy new TT position....

2.jpg
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • 6wheels wrote:
    Is it possible to fall off a Zwift, if you're going too fast?

My man would give it a go.