Giro2019, Stage 20: CROCE D'AUNE-MONTE AVENA *spoilers**

13»

Comments

• phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,905
    What's happened to Yates this race? Was full of confidence coming in, but has realistically looked off the pace throughout. Given how imperious he looked at the Vuelta it's been a poor showing.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,801
    phreak wrote:
    What's happened to Yates this race? Was full of confidence coming in, but has realistically looked off the pace throughout. Given how imperious he looked at the Vuelta it's been a poor showing.
    big question. Not sure MST know either. It was a shame for the race I think. Yates not firing and dumoulin crashing out spannered the race

as for the lack luster giro? I blame salvatore puccio
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,801
    Dabber wrote:
    I'm pleased that Lopez never got penalised. I think a****ole spectators (not fans) that do that should get some "special attention".
    On a similar tack I see Roglic got handed a 10 second penalty for the pushing incident. I sort of feel a bit uncomfortable about that. I know he never took any action to try and stop it but even though I'm not a particular fan of Roglic it seems a bit harsh.
    Roglic looked like he needed it. He is likely to make the podium . deserves it frankly.

Thou gives landa s fighting chance.

Chavez was a good win. Seeing those guys Duke it out for the stage was classic cycling

So what else have we learnt?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,917
    Lopez suffered an effective time penalty, but maybe a nominal financial fine would have been appropriate. Hope the moron fan has a sore chin.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,149
    A footnote to the Lopez incident. He benefited from a similar incident in the Tour of Colombia when Sosa was taken out, eventually beating him by a few seconds.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    phreak wrote:

Different drugs?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,149
    joe2008 wrote:
    phreak wrote:

Different drugs?
    Ok. Let’s run with this little theory. Yates won the previous Grand Tour in a dominant manner. Why would he change drugs? If he was doping that’s absolutely the one thing he wouldn’t change.

Clown.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,339
    Would have loved to see Ineos directeur sportif telling Sivakov to wait on Lopez. Would have been a beautiful moment. Alas ever the unrequited cycling romantic...
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,339
    RichN95 wrote:
    joe2008 wrote:
    phreak wrote:

Different drugs?
    Ok. Let’s run with this little theory. Yates won the previous Grand Tour in a dominant manner. Why would he change drugs? If he was doping that’s absolutely the one thing he wouldn’t change.

Clown.
    Drugs that work in August obviously don't work in May. Everyone knows this. Why do you think calendars were invented? :roll:
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,308
    Don't think anybody has mentioned it yet, but how much time did Lopez waste slapping the idiot? Every second counts there.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Don't think anybody has mentioned it yet, but how much time did Lopez waste slapping the idiot? Every second counts there.
    He should of wasted a few more. :D
    should of used giantorangecannon
  • Don't think anybody has mentioned it yet, but how much time did Lopez waste slapping the idiot? Every second counts there.
    He should of wasted a few more. :D
    should of used giantorangecannon
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,732
    I'd love for the problem of runners to be solved - this guy was no worse than any of the others he was just unlucky. As Wiggins said while it doesn't justify it the guy is probably mortified and he's probably had a few drinks and got carried away and joined in with others he's seen doing the same. Short of it being made illegal and culprits getting a knock on the door the next day I don't know what the answer is. I don't even know if it's seen as an issue in other countries or do they accept it as part of the sport?

I don't think Lopez should be slapping him though, I agree we can give him a pass as it wasn't really a punch, had it been delivered with real intent to hurt then a DQ would have been justified.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • PhilipPirrip
    PhilipPirrip Posts: 616
    Talk about Lopez shouldn't be the main talking point here but rather why do people consider it acceptable for people to interfere with or injure riders with impunity? Let's not forget Lopez, and another spectator, were the victims of this idiot's actions. The main question should be how do we stop this behaviour.

The problem with runners could be solved as we saw with the second pusher of Roglic yesterday; a fan grabbed him by the arm,pulled him off the road and told him off. We've seen fans do this many times as they know the harm these idiots represent.

What is required is a campaign of self-policing promoted ahead of the riders to encourage the greater number of responsible fans to stop any idiots running or interfering with the riders. Empower and embolden the masses to self-police in a way not practical for actual police and which doesn't place punitive restrictions on those wanting to see the race.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,308
    Talk about Lopez shouldn't be the main talking point here but rather why do people consider it acceptable for people to interfere with or injure riders with impunity? Let's not forget Lopez, and another spectator, were the victims of this idiot's actions. The main question should be how do we stop this behaviour.

The problem with runners could be solved as we saw with the second pusher of Roglic yesterday; a fan grabbed him by the arm,pulled him off the road and told him off. We've seen fans do this many times as they know the harm these idiots represent.

What is required is a campaign of self-policing promoted ahead of the riders to encourage the greater number of responsible fans to stop any idiots running or interfering with the riders. Empower and embolden the masses to self-police in a way not practical for actual police and which doesn't place punitive restrictions on those wanting to see the race.

Clearly, a lot of fans don't see an issue with running beside riders - and some riders and ex riders have also helped promote it as part of the spectacle. See this:
    https://www.philsfondo.com/cookiecorner

It's also an issue that though I'm personally very gratified to see a bit of fan justice like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls3NxXSb1K0 it's often really lucky that it doesn't lead to a far worse situation - that runner could have easily ended up taking the rider down with him.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    RichN95 wrote:
    joe2008 wrote:
    phreak wrote:

Different drugs?

Clown.

Maybe the others are now on the same thing
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,471
    RichN95 wrote:
    joe2008 wrote:
    phreak wrote:

Different drugs?

Clown.

Yep, or let's really go into the realms of fantasy and say maybe he just got his training wrong and ended up not being in the same sort of form.
  • joe2008
    Pross wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    joe2008 wrote:
    phreak wrote:

Different drugs?

Clown.

Yep, or let's really go into the realms of fantasy and say maybe he just got his training wrong and ended up not being in the same sort of form.

Yeah, probably that, it's not like he's ever been caught doping.
  • Pross
    joe2008 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    joe2008 wrote:
    phreak wrote:

Different drugs?

Clown.

Yeah, probably that, it's not like he's ever been caught doping.

You're right, he hasn't. I'm trying to work out if this is a very poor attempt at trolling or you are genuinely unable to differentiate between someone doping and an unintentional technical violation of anti-doping regulations.
  • joe2008
    He raced with a banned drug, he got caught without a sick note, doper.
  • Pross
    joe2008 wrote:
    He raced with a banned drug, he got caught without a sick note, doper.

Got my answer then, poor attempt at trolling.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Pross, he's not worth it...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,568
    Who else is doping, Joe? and on what?