Caliper brake bikes going out of fashion?

2»

Comments

• chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    Buy the one that you like the look of most. Both will work absolutely fine, as long as it fits and is comfortable, for the vast majority having a bike you like to ride a lot is more important.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    but try riding it all day while telling yourself it'll be great up the Alps and you'll have it broken down and on eBay in a flash.

my 6kg climbing bike is perfect for both climbing and descending - never had any issues ever - so we here aren't too sure what you are doing to be brutally honest.

#confused
    Yup, this isn’t my experience either, although doubtless it depends on the bike and where the weight has been saved... My Ridley Helium SLX is the best handling bike I’ve ever had and it’s currently sitting at 5.9kg. Completely confidence inspiring in all conditions. I had a relatively light frame a few years back though that was terrifying on descents - whether due to geometry or stiffness in the right places I don’t know..

All of the modern top-end lightweight frames from the big manufacturers will be fine though, and in most cases will ride better than the heavier aero models - hence why many/most pros choose them for grand tours - Emonda, Gallium pro, supersix evo, R5, ultimate six etc..
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    neeb wrote:
    but try riding it all day while telling yourself it'll be great up the Alps and you'll have it broken down and on eBay in a flash.

my 6kg climbing bike is perfect for both climbing and descending - never had any issues ever - so we here aren't too sure what you are doing to be brutally honest.

#confused
    Yup, this isn’t my experience either, although doubtless it depends on the bike and where the weight has been saved... My Ridley Helium SLX is the best handling bike I’ve ever had and it’s currently sitting at 5.9kg. Completely confidence inspiring in all conditions. I had a relatively light frame a few years back though that was terrifying on descents - whether due to geometry or stiffness in the right places I don’t know..

All of the modern top-end lightweight frames from the big manufacturers will be fine though, and in most cases will ride better than the heavier aero models - hence why many/most pros choose them for grand tours - Emonda, Gallium pro, supersix evo, R5, ultimate six etc..

we think its something he has heard at the club or watched on youtube so now its sacrosanct. light bikes will kill you!

the bit about the club riding up hill race sort of gave it away.

#holy
    #still confused
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    edited June 2019
    My lightweight bike (a comparatively porky 6.7kg) is by far my most fun bike to ride. They way it gets up to speed so quickly is just grin inducing, it destroys hills as well. It's so responsive but in a good way, the handling is on point.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    the bit about the club riding up hill race sort of gave it away.

Who else is going to organise competitive events, if clubs don't..??
  • Matthewfalle
    groups of friends

work colleagues

charities

people on strava or similar

informal social groups without dull rules and having to serve an apprenticeship to ride a bicycle

The government

amongst others

#thereisaworldoutsidetheclubbie

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    groups of friends

work colleagues

charities

people on strava or similar

informal social groups without dull rules and having to serve an apprenticeship to ride a bicycle

The government

amongst others

#thereisaworldoutsidetheclubbie

Your answer doesn't relate to my question. My question was about 'competitive' events...the kind that need NGB approval..

We all know that your constant 'clubbie' antagonism has no basis in reality, but it does get exceedingly fvking tiresome on occasion. I'll just leave that there - I'm not anticipating any kind of meaningful response...
  • Matthewfalle
    shops

mail order places

etc.

and no, you just said "competitive events" - nothing to do with approval. 3/4 of clubbies attending the "approved" events could turn up to any event and still be slow.

anyhow, this stream is about rubbish being spouted by some bloke about how light bikes will kill you and not be fun to ride and how, for some reason, you will want to take your bike apart and sell it, not about clubbies.

#lightbikessavelives

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    and no, you just said "competitive events" - nothing to do with approval.

Competitive events in the UK are run under two main NGBs that I can think of - BC and CTT and (to a lesser extent) TLI or LVRC. Without approval, they don't get to run. What other competitive events would you be thinking of?
  • Matthewfalle
    ones that are organised by the above detailed, infra seriatim.

#adnauseum

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    ones that are organised by the above detailed, infra seriatim.

#adnauseum

Can you name a competitive event on the BC calendar that has been organised by, say, a 'mail order place', for instance..?
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Don't understand the title. Is everybody suddenly running out and buying fixed gear unbraked bikes? I have a bike with rim brakes that has calipers. I have a disc-braked bike that also has calipers.