Giro 2019, Stage 15: Ivrea - Como 232 km *Spoilers*

13»

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Been impressed by what I've seen of Blythe.
    I've been more impressed by what I've heard than seen. What I've seen has been a series of fashion crimes.

Fair point, I almost added a caveat to that effect but I'm hardly a style guru!
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    Some kind of Burberry shirt yesterday and some sort of Burberry knock-off today. Nice watch though (Rolex steel sports). Acc to J.Bruyneel on the Move podcast he had the info that Roglic needed a bike but his team car had indeed stopped to allow some one a nature break. #2 car was further back. He explained that #2 should have come up, not #1 stops in the last 25km.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    Roglic looked to be spinning like a loon. I wonder if his team mate uses shorter cranks.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    gsk82 wrote:
    Roglic looked to be spinning like a loon. I wonder if his team mate uses shorter cranks.

Crank length doesn't make any difference to cadence if you have gears.
  • gsk82
    hypster wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:

I assume you've never ridden different crank lengths then.

Shorter cranks result in the circumference of the pedal stroke been reduced and the force you're able to apply been reduced, due to the reduced leverage. With shorter cranks you tend to spin faster and use a smaller gear. If you're not used to a particular crank length it feels very strange.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    gsk82 wrote:
    hypster wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:

Shorter cranks result in the circumference of the pedal stroke been reduced and the force you're able to apply been reduced, due to the reduced leverage. With shorter cranks you tend to spin faster and use a smaller gear. If you're not used to a particular crank length it feels very strange.

I reckon Nibali would agree with you.
    Remember the kerfuffle over his crank length when he turned the race around and won the Giro on the final weekend in 2016?

https://www.53x12.com/giro2016
    I believe that the difficulties of Vincenzo Nibali in this Giro, his unexplained drops in performance, in addition to the inevitable psychological repercussions, both depended on the wrong choice to adopt longer cranks.

And I think, albeit without absolute certainty, that his "miraculous" and spectacular recovery in the last two alpine stages was due to a providential return to 172.5 mm cranks, facilitating his higher pedaling cadences on the climbs.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • gsk82
    Video inside the lotto jumbo team car after the pee stop

https://video.eurosport.nl/wielrennen/g ... ideo.shtml
  • hypster
    gsk82 wrote:
    hypster wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:

That's just splitting hairs. Shorter or longer cranks you just change gear and pedal faster or slower depending on your pedalling style. If you're saying that Roglic was "spinning like a loon" because his cranks were 2.5mm or even 5mm shorter is patently just nonsense.
  • gsk82
    hypster wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:
    hypster wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:

That's just splitting hairs. Shorter or longer cranks you just change gear and pedal faster or slower depending on your pedalling style. If you're saying that Roglic was "spinning like a loon" because his cranks were 2.5mm or even 5mm shorter is patently just nonsense.

Someone should tell the top level pro cyclist how to change gear then. Alternatively you could accept your flippant comment was dumb and slope off quietly with your tail between your legs like a big boy.
  • hypster
    gsk82 wrote:
    hypster wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:
    hypster wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:

Someone should tell the top level pro cyclist how to change gear then. Alternatively you could accept your flippant comment was dumb and slope off quietly with your tail between your legs like a big boy.

Maybe you'd like to try as you are so knowledgeable about such things.
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Got a very good deal on a dura ace chainset a few years back - with the caveat that it would be a switch from 172.5mm to 170mm cranks. I didn't think that this would make too big a difference but I couldn't stand it, even after a good few rides I could never seem to get on top of the gear properly... So yeah can understand why Roglic was having problems. You can't just switch something like that and expect it to not have an effect
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    ShutupJens wrote:
    Got a very good deal on a dura ace chainset a few years back - with the caveat that it would be a switch from 172.5mm to 170mm cranks. I didn't think that this would make too big a difference but I couldn't stand it, even after a good few rides I could never seem to get on top of the gear properly... So yeah can understand why Roglic was having problems. You can't just switch something like that and expect it to not have an effect

Has anyone actually confirmed he was on shorter cranks?
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    joe2008 wrote:
    ShutupJens wrote:

. From the internet Roglic rides 170s. Can't find tolhoek's
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    joe2008 wrote:
    ShutupJens wrote:
    . From the internet Roglic rides 170s. Can't find tolhoek's
    Roglic and Tolhoek are about the same height, so based on the rule-of-thumb guidelines about crank length (height, stride length, etc), they probably use the same crank length, and also a similar frame size.

I took over a teammate's bike in an amateur race 20-25 years ago (my chain snapped after 10 km). We had the same size frame, etc, but the problems I found were the closer seat-to-bar distance (his seat more forward than I would choose) and the (tipped forward) seat angle he preferred – I prefer mine tipped back.
    I can also imagine preferences in bar/drops and/or brake/gear lever angle/location could have also made a difference for Roglic. At my level, many people seem to have their drops and brake/gear levers much higher than I do.
    So for Roglic, it may not have been just a matter of crank length
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Really happy Eurosport highlights cut this bit entirely out.

Also they put Kirby on the highlights call and I almost bored my ears out with an 8bit drill.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    Interesting report on CNews about Max Sciandri and how he can tell how other teams riders are going by watching how their teams cars are being driven...
    Half man, Half bike