Young(ish), but getting older. Symptoms...

theboykidney
theboykidney Posts: 95
I'm past my peak, only just, and although my power is still pretty good up to medium length rides, the major thing I'm noticing is cramps are kicking in much sooner, then my performance falls off a cliff.
I'm wondering if this can be beaten by training (doesnt feel like a nutrition thing), or is it the way it is when you're on the down slope?

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    What are you drinking on your rides ?
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,422
    How old exactly are you?

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• almost 42.
    usually 2 bottles with energy powder, and 1 or 2 tablets of electrolytes in each bottle depending heat....
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I used to get cramps when I was younger if I pushed too hard and when my muscles were cold. Seemed unrelated to hydration / electrolytes / food. Can't remember the last time it happened now though. 62 next birthday.

If I'm planning a long ride I find it takes me longer to build up to doing the distance these days. But my plan in retirement when I'll have more time for cycling is to do longer rides all the time and maybe do some Audax events.
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    edited May 2019
    I'm past my peak, only just, and although my power is still pretty good up to medium length rides, the major thing I'm noticing is cramps are kicking in much sooner, then my performance falls off a cliff.
    I'm wondering if this can be beaten by training (doesnt feel like a nutrition thing), or is it the way it is when you're on the down slope?

Why do you think you're past your peak?

I'm 55 this year and I'm much fitter than I was when I was 35, or 25 for that matter.

First Endurance EFS will stop cramping.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,422
    How long have you been riding for? The more you ride the better you are at endurance. I'm 50 and there are men in our club in their 60's and 70's who can ride the socks off me and leave me for dead on some hills. I'm getting better at hanging on now but since I've only been a road cyclist for 4 years, coming from a MTB background, it has taken a long time to build that endurance. These guys have been riding for longer than I've been alive.

Cramps - usually lack of sodium and potassium. Pinch of salt in drinks and banana's on rides should help.
    Muscle fatigue - fuel yourself. I'm an advocate of plain white sugar (3-4 heaped TBSP) plus a pinch of salt with squash to make up 500/750 ml water in one bidon plus a bidon with just water on long ride (55-75 miles)

Also make sure you do a lot of leg stretching - plenty of examples on Youtube for cycling. I do at least 3-4 times a week.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    At 42, I think you just need to reset your mindset and start some focused training for a specific goal or accept you are never going to average over 20mph for 5 hours for example.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If you feel you are falling off a cliff it suggests either you're not used to the distance, you haven't paced yourself for it, or you've got your nutrition / hydration seriously wrong.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,262
    How high was the peak?
  • 10+ years of road and a bit of MTB. The usual club runs, audaxes, MTB tours etc, so I'd like to think I'm reasonably well seasoned.
    I too get schooled by some 50+ year olds, but everyone is different!
    The rides are standard issue - distance, climbing. Pace is maybe a little punchy, but still... I used to crumble much further down the road than this.
    Going to look at stretching and nutrition and see how that goes.
    Thanks for the input.
  • ric/rstsport
    ric/rstsport Posts: 681
    cramp is unlikely to be associated with e.g. dehydration or electrolyte levels. Whilst, the exact mechanism behind cramping is yet to be elucidated, it's thought that it is most likely to do with doing an activity at too high an intensity. In other words, your lack of fitness is most likely the cause of the cramp
    Coach to Michael Freiberg - Track World Champion (Omnium) 2011
    Coach to James Hayden - Transcontinental Race winner 2017, and 2018
    Coach to Jeff Jones - 2011 BBAR winner and 12-hour record
    Check out our new website https://www.cyclecoach.com
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,555
    ^^^this

work on flexibility, stretches, etc., only takes a few minutes a day to do some hamstring stretches
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    As the rest say - performance falling off a cliff with distance is not something that happens with age - if anything the decline is with top end stuff - sprinting up inclines, out of corners etc more than endurance.

As far as cramp goes the only time I've felt twinges were at the end of events like the Marmotte or very very occasionally in longish hard road races where I was dying on my arse just to stay in a break or in the bunch which again would tie in with what Ric says.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    At 42 I'd say, unless you were a full time athlete, you could definitely make gains in terms of fitness. From what I've read, age declines your peak fitness, but how many amateurs actually hit their peak fitness? Cramps are normally to do with overworked/stressed muscles, I'd say just train more with a sensible, progressive plan
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I definitely suffered more with cramp when I was a younger cyclist than now. I think practice and better on bike nutrition has helped.

And you're only past your best if you believe it.
  • I think the perception of age has changed dramatically in the last ten to fifteen years. I don't think "almost" 42 has ever been what I would term old. But nowadays for someone looking after themselves, which you clearly are, 41 is quite likely not even at the halfway point of life. Even unhealthy folk expect to live to three score and ten, someone engaging in strenuous exercise ( and by extension I would hope, eating well ), should be thinking of four score and ten. Especially if the mind is exercised as well as the body.

Don't give up just yet.
  • CptKernow
    CptKernow Posts: 467
    47 and never had cramps on a bike. My on ride nutrition is usually bananas and water (gel for emergencies). And I don't potter...
  • ajkerr73
    ajkerr73 Posts: 318
    CptKernow wrote:
    47 and never had cramps on a bike. My on ride nutrition is usually bananas and water (gel for emergencies). And I don't potter...

Ditto

A better judge of being past your peak and becoming old is length of hangover.

Go and hit it hard tomorrow night. Mix your drinks and stay out until at least 4 drinks beyond your limit. If you are fine on Monday morning, you have yet to peak. If it is Tuesday or Wednesday before you feel fully recovered then you are indeed and "old c8#t".

Once you've confirmed this, get back on your bike and enjoy riding.
  • manglier
    manglier Posts: 1,212
    In 2013 Chris Horner wins Vuelta a España at 42.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211

Nothing to do with any age downslope. I'm 58 and just done an 80 odd charity ride with very little training in yesterday's heat. One of the strongest riders there (but equally one of the lightest). Hydration and fuelling. The weakest element in the body is the mind. It'll tell you that you're suffering before the body is ready to give up. Keep the body hydrated and fuelled and the brain keeps quiet.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.