Help! How can I train for 60 mile Sportive in a month?

My base fitness is good because I run and do martial arts but admittedly I've not been cycling as much recently.
Tried to cycle 50 miles today but it was pissing down the whole ride and I got a chill so only managed 30 miles.
I'm talking myself out of this sportive as I only have a month and it's 60 miles.
My average speed at the moment is 16 mph on solo rides.
Oh and I'm female

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    It will be a lot easier on the day. If you can get your solo mileage to 40 miles I'd say you'll be completely fine. The things to look at will be to make sure that the bike is comfortable and that you find food/drink that agrees with you.
  • Thanks. I have cycled 40 miles a few weeks ago.
    I think today I got nutrition wrong and I wasn't warm enough.
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    Depending on where your fitness is starting from, this is quite a big ask.

My Mrs went from no miles on a bike to 100k randonee (IOW) in twelve weeks. We had a 120k target for the week before the event, then I deducted 10% of that for a ride once a week, plus some smaller rides. We lost some training weeks to illness, but she got round!
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If you have done 40 already then just add 5 miles a week. Easy.

Understanding the conditions will help you too. You need to have the right kit and with a raincape or similar just in case. If you puncture you get cold very quickly.
  • Where is the sportif?
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    You may be making a mountain out of a molehill.

Zoe Ball did that sort of distance 5 days running with minimal training.

It sounds like you are reasonably fit, just get in a few reasonable length rides, dress properly, it will be fine.
  • Slow down a bit, the distance will be no problem.
    Got a place in the Pyrenees.
    Do bike and ski stuff.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,556
    eat well the days before, on the day have a good breakfast, so that you start with good energy reserve - i go for muesli, fruit and juice, but chose what you like best, if the start is later do keep on snacking

for 60 miles you may not need much more, though if it's hilly and/or you want to push it you can top up while riding, but remember that typical human can only absorb c. 60-90g carbs an hour (the latter for an optimum mix), so there's no point trying to carry/eat more than that as you go

sounds like you are more than fit enough, as above build up time riding, check the course, if it's hilly then get some practice on hills, learn to choose gears that are comfy, no point grinding up in too high a gear, and on the day pace yourself

a lightweight gilet is a good piece of clothing, if it's cool/damp it'l keep your core warm, as the weather improves you can just stuff it in a jersey pocket
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    You'll be fine. Just get out and do 20/30mile spins 2 or 3 times a week between now and then and you will have no bother getting around it. On the day stick with a bunch of riders around your own pace, you'll be faster in a group than on your own and eat plenty before and during the cycle.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Don't worry about speed, average or otherwise. Just get used to spending 4 hours on the bike, and practice eating and drinking on the move. Day before check the weather forecast and choose appropriate kit. On the day have a good breakfast, and remember to eat / drink little and often on the way round. Don't go off like a greyhound; try to take it easy for the first 10 miles and choose a pace you feel you can sustain. If you're still feeling strong after 40 miles you can always up the pace a bit then for the last 20.
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    TimothyW wrote:
    You may be making a mountain out of a molehill.

Zoe Ball did that sort of distance 5 days running with minimal training.

It sounds like you are reasonably fit, just get in a few reasonable length rides, dress properly, it will be fine.

I would take celebrity/TV challenges with a pinch of salt. Camera crews, Back up staff etc. You only see what they want you to see after the edit. Not implying she didn't do it, just be wary.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,546
    I reckon that if you can do 30 miles in the pissing rain and you have a reasonable fitness level 60 miles is perfectly doable.
    It sounds like the weather defeated you rather than the distance.

A group of us did the Tour de Yorkshire sportive at the weekend. One of the guys had probably ridden under 400 miles in the last year, virtually nothing in the last 6 weeks and I don't think does any other exercise. He still managed to drag himself around a very hilly 80 miles, although I'm sure it was a struggle.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    Ride within yourself at 14-15mph and the distance won't be an issue.