Disc or Rim brake for a new bike ?

1235»

Comments

• secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099

and yes, pros do train on tubs

perhaps you should know something about things you post before posting and spreading ignorance and fear

Perhaps you should tone down your snide comments - every pro training bike I've ever seen has clinchers (or tubeless).

For example: recent Cycling Weekly look at Lizzie Deignan's training bike.

Perhaps you like sewing, each to their own.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • secretsam
    Webboo wrote:
    Folk who complain about the poor stopping power of rim brakes, should try riding on Weinmann 500 side pull brakes. These were standard for bikes in the 1980s. It didn’t matter whether it was wet or dry as they didn’t work in either conditions.

I see you, and raise you Weinmann centre pulls.

On chrome steel rims.

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    SecretSam wrote:
    Webboo wrote:
    Folk who complain about the poor stopping power of rim brakes, should try riding on Weinmann 500 side pull brakes. These were standard for bikes in the 1980s. It didn’t matter whether it was wet or dry as they didn’t work in either conditions.

On chrome steel rims.

Nothing could be as bad as the calliper brakes on my early 1990’s GT Outpost. The first time I hit 30mph downhill, pulled the brakes on and until I got to the flat was in fear of my life, once the downhill was steep enough the brakes did nothing.
  • secretsam
    :shock:
    Kajjal wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    Webboo wrote:

On chrome steel rims.

Nothing could be as bad as the calliper brakes on my early 1990’s GT Outpost. The first time I hit 30mph downhill, pulled the brakes on and until I got to the flat was in fear of my life, once the downhill was steep enough the brakes did nothing.

Trust me, old style caliper brakes, wet steel rims :shock:

• secretsam
    speaking as a fatty I love leaving a skinny guy behind as there little legs flail around in a down hill section.

Im less happy when the road goes up

On this at least we agree... :lol:

• robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Disc brakes are too complicated for me.
  • Wayne Plunger
    Wayne Plunger Posts: 444
    Robert88 wrote:
    Disc brakes are too complicated for me.

I see where you are coming from, I am at a stage in life where I know what I know and am happy with that, don't want to take anything else in so stick with what I know.

I will be knackered if my Windows XP ever stops working!!!