Disc or Rim brake for a new bike ?

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    yes. carbon clinchers, tubulars, carbon deep rims: death traps.

tubeless and discs are the only safe way forward. everything else will KILL YOU the minute you put your brakes on

#safetyfirst
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    yes. carbon clinchers, tubulars, carbon deep rims: death traps.

tubeless and discs are the only safe way forward. everything else will KILL YOU the minute you put your brakes on

#safetyfirst

Don't forget the 1x set up. A reduction in teeth and the absence of a front mech has saved countless lives over the past couple of years. We're blessed to have them.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    These things only really make a noticable difference at the extremes. Most of the time my aero rim brakes with carbon rims are excellent, as are all my disc braked bikes. The only time I really wished I had discs was riding through the North York moors in a storm in early March with bike packing gear and my aero rim braked bike (don't ask why I thought that was a good idea). The brakes did very very little for a second after I rammed them on, presumably the pads were clearing the water/grit off the rims before they worked. I wasn't used to the extra weight or the mud/rain on that bike so it caused a few issues.

I'd probably use my posh bike a lot more up here in Scotland if it was disc, but seeing as I have a number of bikes it's nice to keep the posh one for fast, drier rides. If I only had one bike and used it all year round I'd go disc on balance.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    SecretSam wrote:
    cougie wrote:
    Rim or disc makes no difference. Lots of pros are still on rim brakes and they don't pay for their bikes - so ignore the marketing hype. They just want to sell new bikes.

Frankly, this is tosh. Disc and rim in the dry, fine, no difference.

In the wet, it's like night and day. The pros use what they are told to. Ignore any comment about their choices, they're irrelevant. This is about you.

Personally, as a 50 year old who's been on rim brakes all my life, I'd go for discs, every time. Plus, that's what you like, so go with it.

the pros don't use what they are told to. they choose. they cyclists not in the army.
    Which is why some are all disc and some are all rim brake, because that's what they prefer...and some ride Campag and others Shimano in the same team...hang on, no, they ride what the sponsors tell them to...

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    2. so you are saying you need a mechanic to ride a bicycle. seriously?

Yeah, not taking my comment out of context at all there. Tubs are harder to fix if you get a flat, no? So for a noob a clincher (or tubeless) is better.

Have I ever ridden Tubs? Nope. Have I ever felt the need to? Nope. Do I race? Nope.
    Do pros use tubs when training? Nope. I can't see that anyone who isn't a pro racer would need them.

Incidentally, although I've no experience of Tubs, this all sounds like a faff compared to changing a tube:
    https://www.bicycling.com/repair/a20010022/how-to-mount-and-repair-tubular-tires/

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Discs no discs / electronic vs non electric and even finishing kit can be chosen by the riders. Frame and manufacturer of groupset is fixed. Even some wheels can be the riders choice with other decals.

Tubs are actually easier to change if you get a flat.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    SecretSam wrote:

Yeah, not taking my comment out of context at all there. Tubs are harder to fix if you get a flat, no? So for a noob a clincher (or tubeless) is better.

Have I ever ridden Tubs? Nope. Have I ever felt the need to? Nope. Do I race? Nope.
    Do pros use tubs when training? Nope. I can't see that anyone who isn't a pro racer would need them.

Incidentally, although I've no experience of Tubs, this all sounds like a faff compared to changing a tube:
    https://www.bicycling.com/repair/a20010022/how-to-mount-and-repair-tubular-tires/

Once again - congrats on completely missing the point...
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Angrod wrote:
    I prefer Disc brakes and don't like rim brakes at all..

What is the above based on?

Speaking as a noob I recently purchased a second hand road bike with rims, can report that it stops quicker than my hybrid which has discs, though I admit probably cheap discs that have not really been lubricated that often.

Having said that I am a fine weather cyclist, aside from commuting in the rain on the hybrid.

If I eventually upgrade my roadcurrent bike it will be rims again.

I think making sure the brakes are tight and well maintained is more important than the type.

What?! Please tell me you haven't been getting lube anywhere near your disc rotors!
  • Matthewfalle
    SecretSam wrote:

no they are not more difficult.

revove old tub. fold up.

get new tub out of pocket.

mount tub on rim

inflate

ride off.

no faffing with tight tires, snicking inner tubes, posting on here about tight tires, snappung tire levers, etc.

and yes, pros do train on tubs

perhaps you should know something about things you post before posting and spreading ignorance and fear

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Imposter wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:

Once again - congrats on completely missing the point...

the point rode past on deep rims and tubs while he was chatting with his club mates

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Agree but it’s going to go on and on and on - people will believe the hype, what clubbies and what thesalesman who is suddenly their best friend says and not realise that basically rim brakes are just as good, tubulars won’t kill you and actually aren’t that difficult to use and that carbon wheels are fine.

#pluscachange

I have to ask, what is it you have against clubbies? You regularly make disparaging remarks about them so I was curious if you'd been kicked out of a club, been abused by them or just didn't like the idea. I should say I'm not a member of any club let alone a cycling one but was wondering what it is you have against them.

because generally they are boring, unwelcoming to new/inexperienced people, believe their on hype, believe them selves when the say things like "you have to earn the right to .....", judge you on your kit, think their "fast chain gang lads" are like demi gods and generally are dullards.

they are also the first ones to think they are too important to marshall, never say thank you to people, ignore other riders, have shyyt kit.

and they get worse as they get older.

amongst other reasons.

i've been a member of the same club for 20 years because i had to join one to race.

do i wear their top? no
    am i proud of being in it? not particularly
    do i marshall, say thank you, do all that jazz that clubbies feel is beneath them? yes i do

for tge last few years i have ridden for work. about a billion times better.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Discs no discs / electronic vs non electric and even finishing kit can be chosen by the riders. Frame and manufacturer of groupset is fixed. Even some wheels can be the riders choice with other decals.

Tubs are actually easier to change if you get a flat.

wheels and tyres and clothes (ie the first Gabba)

#wheelsandtyresandclothes

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • surfercyclist
    surfercyclist Posts: 894
    Agree but it’s going to go on and on and on - people will believe the hype, what clubbies and what thesalesman who is suddenly their best friend says and not realise that basically rim brakes are just as good, tubulars won’t kill you and actually aren’t that difficult to use and that carbon wheels are fine.

#pluscachange

I have to ask, what is it you have against clubbies? You regularly make disparaging remarks about them so I was curious if you'd been kicked out of a club, been abused by them or just didn't like the idea. I should say I'm not a member of any club let alone a cycling one but was wondering what it is you have against them.

because generally they are boring, unwelcoming to new/inexperienced people, believe their on hype, believe them selves when the say things like "you have to earn the right to .....", judge you on your kit, think their "fast chain gang lads" are like demi gods and generally are dullards.

they are also the first ones to think they are too important to marshall, never say thank you to people, ignore other riders, have shyyt kit.

amongst other reasons.

i've been a member of the same club for 20 years because i had to join one to race.

do i wear their top? no
    do i marshall, say thank you, do all that jazz that clubbies feel is beneath them? yes i do

I don't doubt that some must be like that as are people everywhere, however if club members act as you say then said club will soon become extinct. Attracting new members is the life blood of most clubs so a shitty attitude will only drive potential new members away surely? It's an unfortunate fact of life that there are annoying/unwelcoming/boring etc people everywhere but maybe cycling clubs attract more than most (I don't know not being in said club or as far as I know, know any who are).
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297

Love these two comments.
  • Matthewfalle
    SecretSam wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    cougie wrote:
    Rim or disc makes no difference. Lots of pros are still on rim brakes and they don't pay for their bikes - so ignore the marketing hype. They just want to sell new bikes.

Frankly, this is tosh. Disc and rim in the dry, fine, no difference.

In the wet, it's like night and day. The pros use what they are told to. Ignore any comment about their choices, they're irrelevant. This is about you.

Personally, as a 50 year old who's been on rim brakes all my life, I'd go for discs, every time. Plus, that's what you like, so go with it.

the pros don't use what they are told to. they choose. they cyclists not in the army.
    Which is why some are all disc and some are all rim brake, because that's what they prefer...and some ride Campag and others Shimano in the same team...hang on, no, they ride what the sponsors tell them to...

and that, again, is where you are completely wrong. again.

its turning into a habit this, isn't it.

#wrongagain

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    joey54321 wrote:

Love these two comments.

good eh. glad you appreciate them.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle

#pluscachange

amongst other reasons.

do i wear their top? no

I don't doubt that some must be like that as are people everywhere, however if club members act as you say then said club will soon become extinct. Attracting new members is the life blood of most clubs so a sh!tty attitude will only drive potential new members away surely? It's an unfortunate fact of life that there are annoying/unwelcoming/boring etc people everywhere but maybe cycling clubs attract more than most (I don't know not being in said club or as far as I know, know any who are).

good point well presented but unfortunately clubbies can't help themselves. just go and sit near a herd of them when they stop at at a cafe and you'll see what i mean.

#clubbies

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    The advantage of a pump over gas is that you can shove it up a clubbies a rse if they get too much.
  • Wayne Plunger
    Wayne Plunger Posts: 444
    The advantage of a pump over gas is that you can shove it up a clubbies a rse if they get too much.

After four pages of codswallop at last a post worth reading!
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    hypster wrote:
    Buy disc, better in every way especially the most important one, stopping under control consistently in all conditions.

what a load of bollox

Just a simple demonstrable fact as you will find out in the fullness of time. Most vehicles have moved on from drum or rim brakes to discs for one simple reason. You denying that fact is obviously bollox.
  • Matthewfalle
    hypster wrote:
    hypster wrote:
    Buy disc, better in every way especially the most important one, stopping under control consistently in all conditions.

what a load of bollox

Just a simple demonstrable fact as you will find out in the fullness of time. Most vehicles have moved on from drum or rim brakes to discs for one simple reason. You denying that fact is obviously bollox.

nah. you be wrong, bro.

#don'tbelievethehype

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,689
    The difference it fairly marginal and you'll have to decide yourself if you're the type who gets spooked when the braking gets a bit worse in the wet or not.

I see it as a fairly simple equation: I'm light enough that I stop faster than most folks regardless of braking system and I spend a lot less time braking than I do hauling the brakes around places so I don't really feel the need for disc brakes.

I have a theory that a lot of newer people to road cycling who haven't grown up with it, treat their bicycle brakes like they're car brakes, and so naturally feel much more secure with disc.

If that's the case, knock yourself out and get disc. I've seen enough older men get the heebiegeebies on descents because they don't trust their brakes.

I do trust my rim brakes, so I don't really feel the need to spend more money on them.
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    The difference it fairly marginal and you'll have to decide yourself if you're the type who gets spooked when the braking gets a bit worse in the wet or not.

I see it as a fairly simple equation: I'm light enough that I stop faster than most folks regardless of braking system and I spend a lot less time braking than I do hauling the brakes around places so I don't really feel the need for disc brakes.

I have a theory that a lot of newer people to road cycling who haven't grown up with it, treat their bicycle brakes like they're car brakes, and so naturally feel much more secure with disc.

If that's the case, knock yourself out and get disc. I've seen enough older men get the heebiegeebies on descents because they don't trust their brakes.

I do trust my rim brakes, so I don't really feel the need to spend more money on them.

With all due respect Rick, every sentance in your post has a veiled slur in it which is just laughable implying "You're less of a man if you need to rely on disc brakes". I think all the "remainers" are going to get really upset in the future when they can't buy a shiney, new bike complete with yesterday's technology.
  • rick_chasey
    It’s not so much less of a man but for some people it makes a really big difference to their descending and if so it’s worth it.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    The better you brakes are, the faster you can go in theory but it's not really safe to be at that limit on a public road so it doesn't make the largest amount of difference.

The key question is does the confidence and all weather braking performance outweigh the weight and non-aero for your typical riding? The answer is different for everyone. I've used all sorts of brakes and it's weather conditions and sightlines that hinder speed down hill for me, discs help in shyte weather which is what I do a lot of.
  • Matthewfalle
    hypster wrote:

With all due respect Rick, every sentance in your post has a veiled slur in it which is just laughable implying "You're less of a man if you need to rely on disc brakes". I think all the "remainers" are going to get really upset in the future when they can't buy a shiney, new bike complete with yesterday's technology.

yet again you are wrong and Rick's post is excellently well presented with all valid and true points.

if you also look through various threads on here you'll find that a lot of very experienced ridets also agree completely with Rick

#Rickisright

#don'tbelievethehype

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • rick_chasey
    Errr what?
  • Matthewfalle
    #shocker
    #Rickisright
    #don'tbelievethehype
    #don'tbeaclubbie

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    A fair accurate test is difficult but this is an attempt by GCN.

https://youtu.be/uHFSSXOSnxs
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    Kajjal wrote:
    A fair accurate test is difficult but this is an attempt by GCN.

https://youtu.be/uHFSSXOSnxs

It’s an attempt alright