Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• Cycling in D & G on a quiet rural , pass an old gent with a stick walking a sheep on a rope.

Normal for D&G?

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,911

Hey, the chap and his sheep are just friends, right.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,959

Less trivial. Small cut got infected sufficiently badly I was admitted to hospital for treatment. At one point I was stuck in a waiting room with no mobile phone signal trying to arrange emergency overnight care for my kids who have never had a babysitter before. Give me cramp and vomit any day.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,877

Yes that sounds miserable

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,959

Oh, I meant to post those in the annoying thread. There's nothing intriguing about them.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 28,233

That sounds rough. Hope the antibiotics kick in quickly and hope your kids aren't too freaked out.

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,526
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 41,493

On the intriguing side, why do they still have those no mobile signs in hospitals? No-one pays them any notice and surely the tech has moved on so that they aren’t setting off alarms and messing with life support systems? The staff use them regularly

• Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,595

Yeah this. Mr WS was in ICU cardiology unit, and the resident doc was standing bedside using his mobile phone to chat to the consultant cardiologist. Clearly not a problem technically. If it’s anything like the ban on planes that was mainly to stop people all having shouty conversations.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 15,342

If your surname is Anon, how do you ever leave your contact details?

• secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 1,893

If your surname is McManus your name is too rude for an online account.

• wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 720

Why, is she from Scunthorpe?

================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • rick_chasey
    edited June 5

Another headhunter in my field got in touch, because apparently he's speaking at a conference and he wanted my view on what the hiring market was like for execs in our field.

I went back to him to say I was a little surprised a competitor thought I would be interested in helping his marketing efforts, but good luck anyway and I doubt he sees much different to me.

He seemed very surprised I saw it that way. Is everyone now just pretending we're not in competition anymore? Is this normal and am I the weird one?

As far as I can see, he's effectively taking food from the mouths of my children - every piece of business he wins is one less I can win. That's fine, because it's the same for him and it's a competitive market.

WTF is going on?

• rjsterry

Seems a slightly binary approach. Collaboration with competitors is pretty normal in my industry. Are you not falling into the 'fixed amount of work available' fallacy?

No idea about recruitment but if we participated in a conference it would be for general profile raising and to learn something from other speakers, not directly looking for jobs.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey

Pretty sure there is a fixed amount of work tbh. Nothing I can do can generate more roles that need external help to fill.

And the conference wasn't a HHing conference!

• Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,196

I would guess he just wanted a few vague platitudes about how it was difficult but there were lots of exciting opportunities across the horizon?

• Pross

Surely it makes sense for him to be presenting using wider data than his own experience? Otherwise it's like someone posting on here that what they see happening in their own small bubble is the only thing that is happening...

I also can't believe that you would be able to deal with every potential client in your field satisfactorily if you had a monopoly. As with RJS we regularly collaborate with others in our field. Sometimes we sub-consult elements we don't do ourselves even though we have a crossover in other sectors and then there'll be other bits we do that rivals in those core sectors don't do and they contact us. It's worth keeping good working relationships with 'ivals' when possible as you never know when you may want their help e.g. you suddenly find yourself looking for a new job, they join you as a manager, companies merge etc. There are obviously some idiots that I would never want to work with or be associated with but on the whole mutual back scratching is a good thing.

• rick_chasey

I guess it is me then. Rivals are the enemy till they're not.

Genuinely, if I know it's a competitive pitch I will do all hours to beat the bastards. How dare they try to win business off me.

• Pross

Sure, that's fair in a competitive bid to win work (assuming sticking to doing it on a positive basis and not by slating the opposition) but it doesn't mean you can't help each other out in other situations. I'm struggling to see how the circumstances you described is affecting you, he's already been asked to give the presentation so will be doing it with or without your data. You could have given it on the basis that he credited you and got some publicity for yourself.

• rick_chasey
    edited June 5

Most firms use more than one HHer. They will only have x number of roles go external. That gets divided up between the two HHers on a role-by-role basis. I want all the work and I don't want to share it.

• Pross

But you say yourself they use two so you are going to be sharing whether you want to or not. I've worked on frameworks with a similar system (I've had that feeling of schadenfreude when one of them messes up to be fair). The annoyance there when we were on a list for a major UK retailer was that one of their project managers kept using a company not on the list after they had made all the framework consultants slash their rates.

• First.Aspect

This is where the term frenemies is useful.

We have all sorts of institute events with competitor firms, where we are all jolly nice and deceptively open with each other while we fish for gossip, competitor intelligence and job opportunities.

Probably this guy now thinks you are a bit of a wanker, so that's one less bridge you have.

• Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,196

But unless the firms are happy to have a sole HHer you're never going to get all the work.

You've also missed a golden opportunity to feed them bum info!

• rjsterry
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    edited June 5

Winning business in competitive pitches tastes so much sweeter than being handed the work.

Won a bunch of high profile ones off the big big boys recently. Felt f*cking invincible when I found out. Honestly, no better feeling.

• First.Aspect

This is like watching Mad Men.

Put your willies away.