Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Rolf F wrote:
    Princess Michael.

I'm pretty sure HaydenM isn't getting Princess Michael next time though I am sure she is more fun than an A3.

I like the fact that she is presumably extremely rich and her father was a Nazi.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,803
    Forehead wrote:
    I get more and more intrigued by the click bait at the bottom of this page about the bloke crying at a wedding.
    I wonder what you have to have been clicking on to get click bait about men crying at weddings. Well, actually, I don’t. Carry on...
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364
    Princess Michael.

Those horsey horsey types. Eh gad.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Forehead wrote:
    I get more and more intrigued by the click bait at the bottom of this page about the bloke crying at a wedding.
    I wonder what you have to have been clicking on to get click bait about men crying at weddings. Well, actually, I don’t. Carry on...

Bloke crying at a wedding? The groom surely?
  • pblakeney
    Latest study from Loughborough University has decreed that a couple need an annual income of £47,500 for a comfortable retirement. That's nearly £1000 a week. Really?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Latest study from Loughborough University has decreed that a couple need an annual income of £47,500 for a comfortable retirement. That's nearly £1000 a week. Really?

N+1 .... init! :)
  • pblakeney
    Slowbike wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

But if you read the report then "comfortable" doesn't really include such extravagancies. I'd have to see a breakdown but something doesn't add up.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • slowbike
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

But if you read the report then "comfortable" doesn't really include such extravagancies. I'd have to see a breakdown but something doesn't add up.
    Do they include contribution to offsprings mortgage/rent payments?
  • Not after tax it isn't.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Is that the income needed once they are retired? Does seem a lot. If it's what they need to save for and provide a comfy retirement in future, maybe not such an unreasonable number
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • pblakeney
    Slowbike wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

Do they include contribution to offsprings mortgage/rent payments?
    Nope. https://www.lboro.ac.uk/news-events/new ... standards/
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney
    Not after tax it isn't.
    For a couple so £20k+ tax free.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Is that the income needed once they are retired? Does seem a lot. If it's what they need to save for and provide a comfy retirement in future, maybe not such an unreasonable number
    Annual income after retiring. And assuming the mortgage is paid off as far as I can see.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • slowbike
    PBlakeney wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Annual income after retiring. And assuming the mortgage is paid off as far as I can see.

I'd love to know how much they're putting on each of the categories ... like they're suggesting "DIY Maint and decorating a room a year" ... "Window cleaning/Gardner/cleaning" ....

When we first went to get a mortgage we were told we couldn't afford much and our spending estimates didn't have much in the way of entertainment .... the fact that we were going to be newly wed was obviously lost on them :roll:
  • slowbike
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-50081466

an eRosary bracelet .... hmm - is this so the church can keep an eye on it's younger members and buzz them if they're not praying enough ...

"Click to Pray" ...

words fail me ...
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    On the pension thing: from Loughborough Uni - for a single person

76678%20Pensions%20and%20Lifetime%20Savings%20Association%20graphics%20x4%201.jpg

Figures of requiring a £1M pension pot have been touted around (accounting for inflation).

For couples, the minimum standard came in at £15,700, moderate was £29,100 and comfortable worked out as £47,500.

Oh and more is required if you live in London and the South East.

https://www.lboro.ac.uk/news-events/new ... standards/
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Seems about right tbh.
  • pblakeney
    Seems about right tbh.
    So how come I currently manage to do more on less money, and still manage to contribute to my pension? There is a massive gap between the figures they do reveal and the total.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    "nn days matured" as on meat.

I've just bought a steak that's 14 days matured according to the label and it has a use-by date of 1 Nov, it's in a vacuum pack. If I keep it until 1st Nov, will it be 28 days matured? :)

The older I get, the better I was.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642
    If you have £1m (the cap) in a pension pot and want to retire at 65, then you will receive an index-linked payment of £25k pa as a single person.

How many people will manage to get that much in a pension pot based on the current restrictions for high earners or income restrictions for low earners?
  • TheBigBean wrote:
    If you have £1m (the cap) in a pension pot and want to retire at 65, then you will receive an index-linked payment of £25k pa as a single person.

How many people will manage to get that much in a pension pot based on the current restrictions for high earners or income restrictions for low earners?

I think a lot of people will need to release equity, and a lot of the next generation will have to forget about inheriting the house.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean wrote:

I think a lot of people will need to release equity, and a lot of the next generation will have to forget about inheriting the house.

I suppose if that happens, it frees up housing space and reduces the whole inherited wealth argument. Is there a way of converting post-tax cash into an annuity that isn't really tax inefficient? The government should want people on annuities.
  • rick_chasey
    TheBigBean wrote:
    The government should want people on annuities.

You would think, but then the Tory gov't stopped making annuities compulsory.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean wrote:
    The government should want people on annuities.

You would think, but then the Tory gov't stopped making annuities compulsory.

It is on my long list of things I disliked about the previous government. They ruined ISAs too.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Seems about right tbh.
    So how come I currently manage to do more on less money, and still manage to contribute to my pension? There is a massive gap between the figures they do reveal and the total.

doesnt that depend what,how and where you spend money though ? the figures seemed about right for me too tbh,
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Why are BP running adds about the great things they are doing in the US around wind farms and natural gas?

It was British Petroleum so why don't they do some great stuff in Britain and advertise that? Clearly it was an ad made for the US and they couldn't be bothered to make one for here also.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pblakeney
    edited October 2019
    awavey wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Seems about right tbh.

doesnt that depend what,how and where you spend money though ? the figures seemed about right for me too tbh,
    So I decided to make up a spreadsheet of actual spending as a couple on all aspects listed in the report. Final outcome - £32k, and that is living comfortably.
    Looking on the bright side that allows me £15.5k per year for new bikes! 8)

Edited for SB’s info - From the report - “These and other costs such as tax on pension income may need to be added depending on individuals’ circumstances“ so these figures are after tax.

PS - This indicates a combined pension pot of £2m for a couple. Who is looking forward to a comfortable retirement based on these figures? :shock:
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • That's about right after tax
  • rick_chasey
    elbowloh wrote:
    Why are BP running adds about the great things they are doing in the US around wind farms and natural gas?

It was British Petroleum so why don't they do some great stuff in Britain and advertise that? Clearly it was an ad made for the US and they couldn't be bothered to make one for here also.

They dumped “British Petroleum” a while back. It’s BP.

They have a huge gas business in the States. What’s wrong with that?
  • It's definitely called British Petroleum when Deep water Horizon needs cleaning up