Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,538
    Rolf F wrote:
    %C2%A3%C2%A3%C2%A3-GOLD-Ferrari-convertible.jpg

They all just seem to drive around Knightsbridge. It must be really unpleasant to drive one in traffic.

Actually, anyone assuming the driver of that isn't a halfwitted prat isn't being a judgemental cock-end; just observant.
    That is a tasteless paint job, but the car underneath is a pretty good one.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    HaydenM wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    I don't think I'd actually buy a Lambo with my money but I can certainly see the appeal of owning a totally ridiculous car for the excitement of it. Your point seems to be that other people will think you look like an idiot in it so you shouldn't get one, my point is if I had the cash to buy a Lambo I wouldn't care what other people think especially because I would have a hilarious Lambo.

That's a fair point and one which mostly I agree with. But there are exceptions and I think that the problem is that if you are old enough to be probably able to buy one and you actually do, the perceptions of people that you are a bit of a knob will probably be correct - you are basically buying something that is a bit crap really to make a wealth statement. If you want a hilarious Lambo do it properly and get a Countach! And a 70s style moustache and chest hair.

I guess the issue with my argument is that there are a lot of people who would buy one for a wealth statement rather than just for the pleasure of owning something ridiculous. I think an 80s 911 (with some degree of silly paint somewhere) is a dream of mine if I wanted something totally impractical and hilarious. Were Countachs seen in the same light as modern Lambos at the time? A colleague of mine has a £200k Aston Martin, I wonder whether that is seen as less ostentatious than a similarly impractical and expensive Lambo

In a similar vein, I'm reasonably interested in nice watches but I couldn't stand to own a Rolex purely because ill-informed people will make stupid comments... and I don't have £8k for man jewelry.
    Some brands (like Rolex for watches, or say Porsche for cars) will get more of the 'rich w@nker' type comments from some quarters. Stay clear of those if you don't want that sort of stuff. Also those sorts of brands to tend to be a bit on the pricey side, so win-win.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    %C2%A3%C2%A3%C2%A3-GOLD-Ferrari-convertible.jpg

They all just seem to drive around Knightsbridge. It must be really unpleasant to drive one in traffic.

Actually, anyone assuming the driver of that isn't a halfwitted prat isn't being a judgemental cock-end; just observant.
    That is a tasteless paint job, but the car underneath is a pretty good one.

I assume it is just five grands worth of crappy wrap rather than paint - but yes, it is a good car but look where it is and look what the owner did to it. Unless he agrees with me and decided, having bought a really expensive car, it might be worth making it look really cheap.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,360
    Rolf F wrote:
    ...you are basically buying something that is a bit crap really to make a wealth statement.

Well I am certainly not in that category.
    Rolf F wrote:
    If you want a hilarious Lambo do it properly and get a Countach! And a 70s style moustache and chest hair.

I would not want a supercar - they are in yer face, very expensive to service, totally impractical and the UK roads are not fit for them,

A 70's Countach?! Very unreliable, difficult to reverse anywhere, wide as a bus, handles like a snake with schizophrenia, way over priced
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rolf_f
    Pinno wrote:
    A 70's Countach?! Very unreliable, difficult to reverse anywhere, wide as a bus, handles like a snake with schizophrenia, way over priced

Yep - that's exactly what I meant. If you are going to buy a stupid statement car, do it properly!

And no - I wouldn't think your choice was a crap wealth statement!
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    I don't think I'd actually buy a Lambo with my money but I can certainly see the appeal of owning a totally ridiculous car for the excitement of it. Your point seems to be that other people will think you look like an idiot in it so you shouldn't get one, my point is if I had the cash to buy a Lambo I wouldn't care what other people think especially because I would have a hilarious Lambo.

That's a fair point and one which mostly I agree with. But there are exceptions and I think that the problem is that if you are old enough to be probably able to buy one and you actually do, the perceptions of people that you are a bit of a knob will probably be correct - you are basically buying something that is a bit crap really to make a wealth statement. If you want a hilarious Lambo do it properly and get a Countach! And a 70s style moustache and chest hair.

I guess the issue with my argument is that there are a lot of people who would buy one for a wealth statement rather than just for the pleasure of owning something ridiculous. I think an 80s 911 (with some degree of silly paint somewhere) is a dream of mine if I wanted something totally impractical and hilarious. Were Countachs seen in the same light as modern Lambos at the time? A colleague of mine has a £200k Aston Martin, I wonder whether that is seen as less ostentatious than a similarly impractical and expensive Lambo

In a similar vein, I'm reasonably interested in nice watches but I couldn't stand to own a Rolex purely because ill-informed people will make stupid comments... and I don't have £8k for man jewelry.
    Some brands (like Rolex for watches, or say Porsche for cars) will get more of the 'rich w@nker' type comments from some quarters. Stay clear of those if you don't want that sort of stuff. Also those sorts of brands to tend to be a bit on the pricey side, so win-win.

Certain Rolex I quite like but I don't think I'll be buying a Sub and a Porsche SUV anytime soon. I'll just stick to IWC and Patek so the office doorknob doesn't make any comments :wink:
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Longshot wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    but it is a good word.

Agreed, but not as good a word as shitgibbon.

Now that’s a good word.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • rolf_f
    Longshot wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    but it is a good word.

Now that’s a good word.

What sort of shitgibbon posts a quote including the phrase "but it is a good word" without including the word itself?
  • Stevo_666
    HaydenM wrote:
    Certain Rolex I quite like but I don't think I'll be buying a Sub and a Porsche SUV anytime soon. I'll just stick to IWC and Patek so the office doorknob doesn't make any comments :wink:
    Quite the afficionado Hayden. Check out Panerai as well.
  • Stevo_666
    Pinno wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    ...you are basically buying something that is a bit crap really to make a wealth statement.

Well I am certainly not in that category.
    Rolf F wrote:
    If you want a hilarious Lambo do it properly and get a Countach! And a 70s style moustache and chest hair.

I would not want a supercar - they are in yer face, very expensive to service, totally impractical and the UK roads are not fit for them,

I agree, your Men-o-Porsches are much better :wink:
  • Stevo_666
    Rolf F wrote:
    Longshot wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    but it is a good word.

Now that’s a good word.

What sort of shitgibbon posts a quote including the phrase "but it is a good word" without including the word itself?
    Maybe MF is The King of the Swingers - Sh1tgibbon VIP?
  • pinno
    Longshot wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    but it is a good word.

Now that’s a good word.

The new word n the block is 'masterbatorium. It's an extension of the man cave.
  • pinno
    HaydenM wrote:
    I think an 80s 911 (with some degree of silly paint somewhere) is a dream of mine...

I had thought about getting one of those. 911 (930)
    But there are some huge downsides. A friend of mine who is an accomplished rally driver had an '86 turbo and crashed it... 4 times. It wasn't called the 'widow maker' for no reason and you'll never dare take it out on wet/damp roads.
    Another huge part of this downside is that a ropey one will set you back 30k.
    If you have kids, they'll never fit in the back passed 3 years old, simply because you cannot fit child seats in them.
    'Hilarious' well, very very pricey.

If you do realise the dream and you can turn a blind eye to the above, make sure you buy one in 'Nacht Blau'. Here's one:

blue_911_dunkelblau_347_1.jpg

I think that the 930 Porsche is one of the most beautiful cars ever made and if I had silly money, I would have one for the odd occasion and to wheel out of the garage now and again to wax it to an inch of it's life and park it next to a Colnago Super Mexico with Campag throughout with Wolber rims on those sumptuous hubs hanging on the wall.

Anyway, someone mentioned 'Geese'? This is 'south for a lot of them.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Pinno wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    I think an 80s 911 (with some degree of silly paint somewhere) is a dream of mine...

But there are some huge downsides. A friend of mine who is an accomplished rally driver had an '86 turbo and crashed it... 4 times. It wasn't called the 'widow maker' for no reason and you'll never dare take it out on wet/damp roads.

4 times? Accomplished?

Mate of mine had something like that and managed to pitch pole it. Broke his back.

Poor old Schumacher was what I call an accomplished driver who could win races in the rain.

Anyway, I am intrigued having taken out a new phone contract which included insurance. Two weeks later they say they haven't been able to finalise the insurance because they haven't been able to contact me for some details.

So they have sold me a mobile phone which they set up but they can't contact me. Ok.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,799
    Phone insurance is a rip off anyway.
    Not covered by house contents?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • haydenm
    Pinno wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

If you have kids, they'll never fit in the back passed 3 years old, simply because you cannot fit child seats in them.

If you do realise the dream and you can turn a blind eye to the above, make sure you buy one in 'Nacht Blau'. Here's one:

I think that the 930 Porsche is one of the most beautiful cars ever made and if I had silly money, I would have one for the odd occasion and to wheel out of the garage now and again to wax it to an inch of it's life and park it next to a Colnago Super Mexico with Campag throughout with Wolber rims on those sumptuous hubs hanging on the wall.

Ridiculous, impractical and expensive. Perfect!
  • pinno
    Robert88 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

4 times? Accomplished?

Couldn't resist putting the pedal to the metal. They beg you to press the throttle.
    Robert88 wrote:
    Mate of mine had something like that and managed to pitch pole it. Broke his back.

There you go.
    Robert88 wrote:
    Poor old Schumacher was what I call an accomplished driver who could win races in the rain.

Senna killed himself. Anyone can. World class doesn't mean you are immune to crashing.
  • rolf_f
    HaydenM wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

Ridiculous, impractical and expensive. Perfect!

Naahh; these are way more practical and less ridiculous than stuff like Countach's. They are relatively reliable, you can get in them, see out of them and they are compact and even still relatively cheap (if not absolutely so). The only real downside is the inevitable death thing. That doesn't apply to a Countach because you'd never bother driving that.
  • haydenm
    I'm not bothered by crashing or discomfort as I am immune from death. Considering not paying company car tax, leaving my vehicle at work then buying a Caterham style kit car to commute with all year round. If they want to tax me more and more to own a car I don't want to own then they can bugg*r off :wink:
  • pinno
    HaydenM wrote:
    ... a Caterham...

Now you're talking*.

Bloody quick. 0-100 you can pi$$ Porsche drivers off - even Ferrari's and especially, AMG to$$ers.

*If you can turn a blind eye to:

Forget a stereo, you can't hear a thing.
    All the wings and panels flap around at 40 mph.
    You're so low.you'll get squished by the first HGV you come across as you turn on to the M74 and get dead disease.
    At your age, you might just be able to insure the thing.
    Do not drive in the rain unless you wear waterproofs. Colander's leak less.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,799
    ^^^^ and don't plan on spending much time in it unless you are masochistic about back pain.
    For short fun bursts only.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666
    The new Ariel Atom looks like a good Caterham 7 alternative. For the performance it delivers, stonkingly good value. You just need to be prepared to wear waterproof kit and a full face helmet while driving it.
  • haydenm
    I was going to treat it like a motorbike and just get soaked commuting in it. It depends what happens with the new company car policy really, if not I'll keep the pickup and pressure the OH into getting a Cayman or something (she'll never agree to it)
  • rolf_f
    Pinno wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    ... a Caterham...

Now you're talking*.

Bloody quick. 0-100 you can pi$$ Porsche drivers off - even Ferrari's and especially, AMG to$$ers.

*If you can turn a blind eye to:

Forget a stereo, you can't hear a thing.
    All the wings and panels flap around at 40 mph.
    You're so low.you'll get squished by the first HGV you come across as you turn on to the M74 and get dead disease.
    At your age, you might just be able to insure the thing.
    Do not drive in the rain unless you wear waterproofs. Colander's leak less.

Avoiding most of that stuff is what the Lotus Elise is for. They are awesome. Only modern car I'd probably want to buy.
  • pinno
    HaydenM wrote:
    I was going to treat it like a motorbike and just get soaked commuting in it. It depends what happens with the new company car policy really, if not I'll keep the pickup and pressure the OH into getting a Cayman or something (she'll never agree to it)

One of the best handling Porkers but personally, I don't like the styling and there's no seats in the back.
    There's a man locally who's gone hermit and has crawled into a bottle. He bought a Cayman. It's Silver and only done 4k. Garaged all it's life.
    I went to see it. Worth a punt 'cos he'll never get around to advertising it and he's got far too much money and now,n ever drives it.
    Cayman's can be had for very reasonable money.

@Rolf: The Lotus has always delivered VFM. That was always Colin Chapman's ethic. 'The poor man's supercar'.
  • haydenm
    Pinno wrote:
    Cayman's can be had for very reasonable money.

That was what tempted me. The OH was convinced that she needed an A3 or similar for moving the dog about then refused to put him in it ever. Next time round we are getting something fun.
  • Princess Michael.
  • rolf_f
    Princess Michael.

I'm pretty sure HaydenM isn't getting Princess Michael next time though I am sure she is more fun than an A3.
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    She is. Especially after a couple of sherries.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • forehead
    forehead Posts: 180
    I get more and more intrigued by the click bait at the bottom of this page about the bloke crying at a wedding.
    Cube - Peloton
    Cannondale - CAAD10