Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,066
    Fair point. I've never understood the fascination with these type of drink. It seems more about marketing to me.

I had a quick Google, and it's rumoured to be 25% of their revenue. Get this, in 2020 their revenue was 6.31 billion Euro's.
    https://www.cascade.app/strategy-factory/studies/redbull-strategy-study

Blimey.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,377
    edited May 2022
    Just read a tweet by someone, and then realised that I could hear that same person discussing the same topic with someone else on the phone. He was sat a few rows back on the train. Spooky.

If interested, it was this.

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    So, I opened a limited access higher interest savings account.
    Has a minimum balance of £1 and a maximum balance of £5,000,000. I was not expecting to trouble the extreme ends of the range.

Now, what I hadn’t spotted anywhere was the £200 per month deposit limit.

I need to live another 2083 years to get £5M saved at £200 per month.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,419
    morstar said:

Has a minimum balance of £1 and a maximum balance of £5,000,000. I was not expecting to trouble the extreme ends of the range.

Maybe they are expecting interest rates to rise so much it will push you over the limit in your lifetime!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,205
    morstar said:

Ah but - is there a restriction on the initial deposit?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    On the subject of caffeine: we used to buy 'Jump Cola' out of the 7-11 before going clubbing.
  • Why it is so difficult to move a few yards to put empty beer can/glass in a bin at festival.
  • focuszing723

Why it is so difficult to move a few yards to put empty beer can/glass in a bin at festival.

We know is not difficult, some people are just slobs. Another one that gets me is people who will just leave shopping trolleys by the side of their car, rather than push it back to the dedicated area.

Sloppy!
  • pinno
    edited May 2022
    ...because we live in a world where the prevailing ethic is that it's someone else's responsibility; individualism catalysed my the pursuit of infinite material want. Whether it's litter or dog sh1t, or general care for one's environment or surroundings (and other people), they don't give a flying wotsit about much which is outwith that insular bubble.

What they don't realise is that they are simply existing. They may are wallowing in self-entitlement and abundance but they aren't living.

• rjsterry
    pinno said:

...because we live in a world where the prevailing ethic is that it's someone else's responsibility; individualism catalysed my the pursuit of infinite material want. Whether it's litter or dog censored , or general care for one's environment or surroundings (and other people), they don't give a flying wotsit about much which is outwith that insular bubble.

What they don't realise is that they are simply existing. They may are wallowing in self-entitlement and abundance but they aren't living.

There are palaeolithic rubbish dumps that archaeologists have excavated. The original London ground level is metres lower than now and it's all made up of rubbish.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pinno
    rjsterry said:

pinno said:

...because we live in a world where the prevailing ethic is that it's someone else's responsibility; individualism catalysed my the pursuit of infinite material want. Whether it's litter or dog censored , or general care for one's environment or surroundings (and other people), they don't give a flying wotsit about much which is outwith that insular bubble.

There are palaeolithic rubbish dumps that archaeologists have excavated. The original London ground level is metres lower than now and it's all made up of rubbish.
    So, are you saying that the littering is genetically linked?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,186
    pinno said:

rjsterry said:

pinno said:

Can I reiterate my point that human beings are the biggest plague on this planet?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rjsterry
    pblakeney said:

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

pinno said:

Can I reiterate my point that human beings are the biggest plague on this planet?
    Given how well the last actual plague did out of us, I'm not sure we are. We're just the latest in a very long line of organisms that have shat all over the planet in between being wiped out by asteroids and volcanic activity.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    pblakeney said:

pinno said:

class="Quote" rel="rjsterry">
    pinno said:

Can I reiterate my point that human beings are the biggest fattest plague on this planet?

FTFY.

Example. I took the M6 toll road tonight. Light traffic on it, could do with a pee break, use the services. This is the toll road, i.e. pay £ for it. Services was surprisingly really busy, at c. 8pm, loads of people queuing for whatever brand of fast food in situ, loads of family groups with loads of plastic stuff sitting inside and outside. On way in meet a fat bloke in ill fitting shorts carrying a big tray of plastic containers and cups out towards the car park. Bet the fat b4rstewards chuck the residue out the window.

That is not my world.
  • pblakeney
    edited June 2022
    rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

pinno said:

Given how well the last actual plague did out of us, I'm not sure we are. We're just the latest in a very long line of organisms that have shat all over the planet in between being wiped out by asteroids and volcanic activity.
    How many of those other plagues or organisms are actually ruining the planet for the rest of lifeforms? We kick asses on that front. Go us! To infinity and beyond. Well Mars anyway...
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,633
    edited June 2022
    orraloon said:

FTFY.

Example. I took the M6 toll road tonight. Light traffic on it, could do with a pee break, use the services. This is the toll road, i.e. pay £ for it. Services was surprisingly really busy, at c. 8pm, loads of people queuing for whatever brand of fast food in situ, loads of family groups with loads of plastic stuff sitting inside and outside. On way in meet a fat bloke in ill fitting shorts carrying a big tray of plastic containers and cups out towards the car park. Bet the fat b4rstewards chuck the residue out the window.

That is not my world.

There's plenty to be annoyed about without worrying about imaginary littering.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,990
    This Quote from Graeme McDowell: "It just boils down to the fact that I am a business and I have operated all over the world for 20 years. This is a compelling opportunity."
  • rjsterry
    pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

pinno said:

How many of those other plagues or organisms are actually ruining the planet for the rest of lifeforms? We kick asses on that front. Go us! To infinity and beyond. Well Mars anyway...
    We're all just trying to propagate our DNA. As far as we can tell, with maybe one or two exceptions, we are the only life form that gives a passing thought to the welfare of other species. We're no worse than the algae that suffocates fish or the various fungi that kill off huge tracts of forest. We've only been around for the briefest fraction of the planet's existence and we'll likely be replaced soon enough. Or maybe we're the next crocodile.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pblakeney
    rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

pinno said:

We're all just trying to propagate our DNA. As far as we can tell, with maybe one or two exceptions, we are the only life form that gives a passing thought to the welfare of other species. We're no worse than the algae that suffocates fish or the various fungi that kill off huge tracts of forest. We've only been around for the briefest fraction of the planet's existence and we'll likely be replaced soon enough. Or maybe we're the next crocodile.
    True enough. My point is that we are actively accelerating that process of our own (unintended) free will. Polluting the planet has nothing to do with propagation. I find it quite funny that the "enlightened" western world is the guilty party.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • focuszing723
    It does make you think the natural evolution of civilizations is to use the resources of the planet to get advanced enough, to be able to mine for more critical resources on another. There was some talk of mining Gold on an asteroid.

I like the idea AI drones will be able to visit other planets, replicate themselves with the resources there and continue the process. Information in its various forms could then be shared through the network. I hope nothing spooky like Björn though?
  • focuszing723
    I think the boffins have said, if this is going on with other civilizations, why haven't we seen anything?
  • pblakeney
    I find it sad that we are not content with ruining one planet and are actively seeking ways to ruin more.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pinno
    pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

pinno said:

True enough. My point is that we are actively accelerating that process of our own (unintended) free will. Polluting the planet has nothing to do with propagation. I find it quite funny that the "enlightened" western world is the guilty party.
    This is true.
    We are sooooo clever we are undermining the very fabric that we rely on, it's like the yooman race is piddling on it's own chips.
    We have failed/are failing to make use of whilst preserving finite resources yet we want to 'cultivate' precious resources on other planets.
    There's not a snow flakes chance in hell humans will colonise other planets because by the time we are at the point where we have the technology, we'll be on the cusp of Armageddon (we're gonna fry baby).

We have become parasites but intelligent parasites don't kill it's host.
  • focuszing723
    edited June 2022
    pblakeney said:

I find it sad that we are not content with ruining one planet and are actively seeking ways to ruin more.

I would like to think civilizations, if they manage to survive the evolution to this state, would become more responsible. They would be able to use the resources in a more balanced, efficient way, respecting what's on the plant in all its forms.

A million years is nothing compared to Earth/Universes age, but imagine if we were a million years evolved from now?

Those observations of a UFO/UAP from the two fighter pilots off the US Navy Nimitz would be completely plausible.
  • pblakeney
    edited June 2022

pblakeney said:

I would like to think civilizations, if they manage to survive the evolution to this state, would become more responsible. They would be able to use the resources in a more balanced, efficient way, respecting what's on the plant in all its forms.

Do you have any evidence past or present to back this up?

A million years is nothing compared to Earth/Universes age, but imagine if we were a million years evolved from now?

We'll be fried before then.

Those observations of a UFO/UAP from the two fighter pilots off the US Navy Nimitz would be completely plausible.

They'll be looking at us the same way as we look at ants.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

This Quote from Graeme McDowell: "It just boils down to the fact that I am a business and I have operated all over the world for 20 years. This is a compelling opportunity."

I admire the honesty. Other than DJ it is a halfway house to the Champions Tour.
  • rjsterry
    pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

pinno said:

That's no different from any other organism. Without predation, deer will strip their environment and then their population will reduce. We've just gained an advantage over our predators. The natural world is not so much in equilibrium as a temporary stalemate in an ongoing attritional battle.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pblakeney
    rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

pinno said:

That's no different from any other organism. Without predation, deer will strip their environment and then their population will reduce. We've just gained an advantage over our predators. The natural world is not so much in equilibrium as a temporary stalemate in an ongoing attritional battle.
    That's a fair point.
    If you gloss over that we are supposed to be highly developed and intelligent instead of just getting by to survive. Being no better than a locust is not something to aspire to.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rjsterry
    pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

pinno said:

That's a fair point.
    If you gloss over that we are supposed to be highly developed and intelligent instead of just getting by to survive. Being no better than a locust is not something to aspire to.
    What are the crows and dolphins doing about climate change? That's what I'd like to know. 😁 We're not supposed to be anything. We are just one of the more successful rolls of the evolutionary dice.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pblakeney
    rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

pinno said:

That's a fair point.
    What are the crows and dolphins doing about climate change? That's what I'd like to know. 😁 We're not supposed to be anything. We are just one of the more successful rolls of the evolutionary dice.
    They are not adding to it.
    We obviously have different interpretations of success.

Veronese68 wrote: