Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    monkimark said:

The ticket machines at my station weren't working this morning, there were notes on the machines saying people should buy the ticket at the destination.
    I'm not sure there is anyone on the train with a ticket machine, I've never seen one (although I rarely travel by train).
    Presumably they put a not out to other stations on the line to confirm the machines aren't working.

Conductor always has a machine. Has done for at least the last 15 years, if not 20.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,919
    edited April 2022
    I don't think I've ever seen a conductor on the train so if there is one, they aren't walking through checking/selling tickets.
    Presumably the sign would have said to get a ticket from the conductor if that was available.
  • monkimark
    edited April 2022

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,633
    It's very location dependant. Line nearest to me in Bristol has no machine at the station and everyone buys from the conductor.

But never saw a conductor in London.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,420
    On my commute to Bristol the conductor never comes around which I think is a throw back to when it was too crowded for them to move around. I have had to get a ticket on arrival at Templemeads once as the ticket office at the station where I start my journey was closed and no-one came around on the train but they were aware of the situation and sold the normal price ticket.

There have been a few times in the past (different service) where I was running late and got a ticket onboard. They usually just sold the tickets at normal price, possibly as there were several stations without ticket offices on the route, but one conductor did say they are allowed to make you buy a single if you board without a ticket.

With electronic ticketing these days there is no real reason to reach your destination without a ticket though.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    I make a point of finding the conductor so they have no excuse to fine me.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,381
    Pross said:

On my commute to Bristol the conductor never comes around which I think is a throw back to when it was too crowded for them to move around. I have had to get a ticket on arrival at Templemeads once as the ticket office at the station where I start my journey was closed and no-one came around on the train but they were aware of the situation and sold the normal price ticket.

There have been a few times in the past (different service) where I was running late and got a ticket onboard. They usually just sold the tickets at normal price, possibly as there were several stations without ticket offices on the route, but one conductor did say they are allowed to make you buy a single if you board without a ticket.

With electronic ticketing these days there is no real reason to reach your destination without a ticket though.

This. Buy the ticket on your phone and it appears as a QR code to let you through the barriers at the end. Does require a decent data signal, which for some reason is always pretty rubbish in South London and Surrey.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 17,010
    rjsterry said:

Pross said:

This. Buy the ticket on your phone and it appears as a QR code to let you through the barriers at the end. Does require a decent data signal, which for some reason is always pretty rubbish in South London and Surrey.
    God it is so primitive up here. There are routinely queues to leave the platform at Glasgow Central and Waverley for all of the people who can't buy tickets where they get on. And what's a qr code and does it fit in the little slot in the barrier machine?

• rjsterry

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

God it is so primitive up here. There are routinely queues to leave the platform at Glasgow Central and Waverley for all of the people who can't buy tickets where they get on. And what's a qr code and does it fit in the little slot in the barrier machine?

Your rail operating company will have an app. Or use the Trainline one.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• First.Aspect
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

As far as I'm aware the machines don't read qr codes. And the train operator is the SNP now.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,785

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

As far as I'm aware the machines don't read qr codes. And the train operator is the SNP now.
    Tickets are better anyway.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Scotrail did have smart cards. I assume the SNP have bought the system as there were machines everywhere.
    I used it a few times. Was better than an app or ticket. No power or data required but only one card to look after rather than lots of tickets.
  • Pross
    rjsterry said:

Pross said:

That's living in the sticks for you.
  • Pross
    edited April 2022

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

I normally go with a ticket still, always wary my phone battery will die on me with etickets
  • TheBigBean
    Pross said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

I normally go with a ticket still, always wary my phone battery will die on me with etickets
    That, and barriers are faff. Even more so if you have multiple tickets on one phone.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,206
    Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

Yeah.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • monkimark
    ...orry....can't....ear....yo.....
    ...ery....ba...ignal...in...he...Audi
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

Scotrail has an app. The barriers at Waverley and Glasgow Central have readers on the barriers. https://www.nfcw.com/2019/04/26/362431/uk-upgrades-to-smart-rail-tickets-looks-to-introduce-innovative-new-types-of-fare/
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

That, and barriers are faff. Even more so if you have multiple tickets on one phone.
    As opposed to a handful of almost identical orange-edged card tickets.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

Tulse Hill in particular has no signal at all. Surrey at least has cuttings and tunnels.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• First.Aspect
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

Scotrail has an app. The barriers at Waverley and Glasgow Central have readers on the barriers. https://www.nfcw.com/2019/04/26/362431/uk-upgrades-to-smart-rail-tickets-looks-to-introduce-innovative-new-types-of-fare/
    Fair enough. I haven't been on a train since the pandemic.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

Fair enough. I haven't been on a train since the pandemic.
    😆
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

As opposed to a handful of almost identical orange-edged card tickets.
    Yes, that's better.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    (Sitting waiting for W10 update to complete before heading for early night, silly time to opt for updating, but anyway...)

Intrigued. Last night at Calais Eurotunnel in the queue lines for French border control. Hello! Group of 4 fully armed with the automatics, the holstered pistol on the belt, full body armour, etc etc soldiers appear and pace slowly along the lines of mainly Brit cars. Scary stuff. Never seen that before in now 30 years of Shuttling.

Is this another Brexshit bonus?
  • pinno
    orraloon said:

(Sitting waiting for W10 update to complete before heading for early night, silly time to opt for updating, but anyway...)

Intrigued. Last night at Calais Eurotunnel in the queue lines for French border control. Hello! Group of 4 fully armed with the automatics, the holstered pistol on the belt, full body armour, etc etc soldiers appear and pace slowly along the lines of mainly Brit cars. Scary stuff. Never seen that before in now 30 years of Shuttling.

Is this another Brexshit bonus?

Nothing to do with the migrating peoples trying to get across any old how?
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    In the absence of our former expert in such matters manc33 I post this.

Nutter conspiracy theorist today, "learning" just so so much off the internetz 'n' soshul meejah. 9/11, vaccines, Grand Canyon has ancient doors and windows in its walls, free electricity from the ground, and on and on. Flat earth, e.g. how does the 70% water stay 'up' if this is a globe? Sun and moon are same size and 4,000 miles from earth, which they go around and around.

I failed (deliberately) to ask him to describe how the sun and moon circle around Earth if Earth is flat.

'Kin weirdo.
  • pinno
    How many beers did you have at the micro brewery 'Loon?
  • First.Aspect
    pinno said:

How many beers did you have at the micro brewery 'Loon?

I think it is relatively lucid for Orraloon.
  • monkimark
    Flat earth videos are my guilty pleasure, although they are so clearly wrong that I suspect half of them are just trolling.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    edited May 2022
    I read something just now which intrigued me and makes me think I need to start doing tax self assessments, despite being PAYE and having always been.

Something to do with paying tax in the higher brackets, and deductions not coming out before/after (? - you can see I'm clueless) pension contributions, depending how in order your employer's payroll processes are?

Anyway, it reads like I might be paying too much tax. I know @Stevo_666 could probably shed some light. Anyone else?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/