Forum home Road cycling forum Training, fitness and health

Drinks

ridgeway_swissridgeway_swiss Posts: 146
I've only ever used water in my drinks bottles but wonder if i'm missing a trick ?

Pretty sure i don't need anything fancy but just wondered if something with a bit of sugar in it may help on longer rides ?

What else do people drink on their rides ?

Posts

  • cougiecougie Posts: 22,512
    Water on short rides. Something like High 5 for the summer long rides.
  • cougie wrote:
    Water on short rides. Something like High 5 for the summer long rides.

    That seems like a great solution, will try to pick some up.

    Thanks
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 10,461
    Summer rides I take 2 bottles one water and the other squash with small amount of salt in. Works similar to a lot of off the shelf sports recovery drinks at a fraction of the cost.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • DeVlaeminckDeVlaeminck Posts: 7,798
    Depends on how resistant your teeth are to decay, if you do a lot of cycling regularly sipping a sugary drink is about the worst thing you could do. Racing or sportives fine but training/long rides I'd stick to water and a bit of food in the back pockets. If you are worried about salts then on very hot days you can always stick an electrolyte tablet in your bottle though the only time I've bothered is when I got given some in the Marmotte goody bag.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • joey54321joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    oxoman wrote:
    Summer rides I take 2 bottles one water and the other squash with small amount of salt in. Works similar to a lot of off the shelf sports recovery drinks at a fraction of the cost.

    Depends what you mean by works, calories Vs taste, but most squash will be no added sugar and use sweetners. Something I'd try to actively avoid on the bike, which is actually a time you'd probably want a little bit if sugar.
  • figbatfigbat Posts: 680
    cougie wrote:
    Something like High 5 for the summer long rides.

    That seems like a great solution

    I see what you did there. :mrgreen:
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
Sign In or Register to comment.