Forum home Road cycling forum Road buying advice

High viz crank protectors

joey54321joey54321 Posts: 1,297
edited April 2019 in Road buying advice
I am looking for something like this

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/rac ... prod117550

but in scotchlight/reflective high viz. I don't care about my cranks, but as they move they're good for attracting attention at night.

Does such a thing exist?

Posts

  • redvisionredvision Posts: 2,816
    Not sure it would be as effective as you imagine tbh.
    Why not try some reflective tape on the crank arms?
  • imposter2.0imposter2.0 Posts: 11,767
    Most of the time, those 'crank boots' (or a scotchlite version thereof) would be hidden behind your feet/ankles anyway. All seems a bit pointless. Something like spoke reflectors or ankle reflectors would be more effective - and certainly more naff....
  • joey54321joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    I've tried tape on the cranks and it always ends up coming off and looking very scruffy.

    Spoke reflectors can't be seen from behind the bike and ankle reflectors require me remembering to put them on and not lose them.
  • amrushtonamrushton Posts: 1,111
    A solution looking for a problem?
    Shoes or overshoes in flouro yellow or reflect silver would work just as well
  • cougiecougie Posts: 22,512
    Just put reflective tape on the cranks and backs of pedals.
    Or use shoes that have reflective heel tabs or fronts.
  • joey54321joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    amrushton wrote:
    A solution looking for a problem?
    Shoes or overshoes in flouro yellow or reflect silver would work just as well

    lol, no, I don't have a solution, I would like a solution!

    I'd say they would work better...but I don't always wear overshoes and I don't want to buy new shoes, I have trouble enough as it is to find comfortable cycling shoes without limiting it to fluro options.

    cougie wrote:
    Just put reflective tape on the cranks and backs of pedals.
    Or use shoes that have reflective heel tabs or fronts.

    As above, I have found tape to not work so well and I don't want to have to buy and be restricted to a single set of shoes.
  • Traffic cones have hi viz wrap on them. I have removed this material then wrapped it around my bike tubes and zip tied it. Traffic cones are every where. You just need a stanley knife.
  • imposter2.0imposter2.0 Posts: 11,767
    Traffic cones have hi viz wrap on them. I have removed this material then wrapped it around my bike tubes and zip tied it. Traffic cones are every where. You just need a stanley knife.

    So if you get caught, not only do you get charged with attempted theft/criminal damage, you also get a bonus charge of knife possession..
  • Imposter wrote:
    Traffic cones have hi viz wrap on them. I have removed this material then wrapped it around my bike tubes and zip tied it. Traffic cones are every where. You just need a stanley knife.

    So if you get caught, not only do you get charged with attempted theft/criminal damage, you also get a bonus charge of knife possession..


    Many assumptions here.
    I work on a construction site.
    Feel free to use some imagination.
    Happy riding !
  • cougiecougie Posts: 22,512
    Not sure what you're doing with your tape if it's coming off the cranks. I've had 3M stuff on my cheap fixed wheel for years.
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 10,480
    Have tried various hi viz things over the years for commuting and by far the best is reflective spoke straws. I just put 8 on each wheel in 2 blocks of 4 opposite each other and when they turn and a light goes on them the whole wheel looks like it's lit up.
    See link, halfords also do them.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/TOOGOO-Bicycle ... 1482&psc=1
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • joey54321joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    oxoman wrote:
    Have tried various hi viz things over the years for commuting and by far the best is reflective spoke straws. I just put 8 on each wheel in 2 blocks of 4 opposite each other and when they turn and a light goes on them the whole wheel looks like it's lit up.
    See link, halfords also do them.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/TOOGOO-Bicycle ... 1482&psc=1

    At that price a bit of a no brainer, just ordered 2 packs. Thanks!
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 10,480
    Been using mine for commuting for last few years and colleagues normally comment that they can't miss me when they drive by. Just look like grey tubes but work brilliantly.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • deadlegsdeadlegs Posts: 56
    Yesss spokey dokeys are back! I might get some, will they stay on aero spokes?
    Summer: Canyon Ultimate CF SL 2019
    Winter/Commuter: Planet X RT-58 6700
    Dead: Specialized Allez Elite 2009
  • wongataawongataa Posts: 967
    joey54321 wrote:
    amrushton wrote:
    A solution looking for a problem?
    Shoes or overshoes in flouro yellow or reflect silver would work just as well

    lol, no, I don't have a solution, I would like a solution!

    I'd say they would work better...but I don't always wear overshoes and I don't want to buy new shoes, I have trouble enough as it is to find comfortable cycling shoes without limiting it to fluro options.
    Stick a piece of reflective tape on your current shoes.
Sign In or Register to comment.