High viz crank protectors

joey54321
joey54321 Posts: 1,297
edited April 2019 in Road buying advice
I am looking for something like this

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/rac ... prod117550

but in scotchlight/reflective high viz. I don't care about my cranks, but as they move they're good for attracting attention at night.

Does such a thing exist?

Comments

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Not sure it would be as effective as you imagine tbh.
    Why not try some reflective tape on the crank arms?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Most of the time, those 'crank boots' (or a scotchlite version thereof) would be hidden behind your feet/ankles anyway. All seems a bit pointless. Something like spoke reflectors or ankle reflectors would be more effective - and certainly more naff....
  • joey54321
    I've tried tape on the cranks and it always ends up coming off and looking very scruffy.

Spoke reflectors can't be seen from behind the bike and ankle reflectors require me remembering to put them on and not lose them.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    A solution looking for a problem?
    Shoes or overshoes in flouro yellow or reflect silver would work just as well
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Just put reflective tape on the cranks and backs of pedals.
    Or use shoes that have reflective heel tabs or fronts.
  • joey54321
    amrushton wrote:

lol, no, I don't have a solution, I would like a solution!

I'd say they would work better...but I don't always wear overshoes and I don't want to buy new shoes, I have trouble enough as it is to find comfortable cycling shoes without limiting it to fluro options.

cougie wrote:
    Just put reflective tape on the cranks and backs of pedals.
    Or use shoes that have reflective heel tabs or fronts.

As above, I have found tape to not work so well and I don't want to have to buy and be restricted to a single set of shoes.
  • Traffic cones have hi viz wrap on them. I have removed this material then wrapped it around my bike tubes and zip tied it. Traffic cones are every where. You just need a stanley knife.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Traffic cones have hi viz wrap on them. I have removed this material then wrapped it around my bike tubes and zip tied it. Traffic cones are every where. You just need a stanley knife.

So if you get caught, not only do you get charged with attempted theft/criminal damage, you also get a bonus charge of knife possession..
  • Imposter wrote:
    Traffic cones have hi viz wrap on them. I have removed this material then wrapped it around my bike tubes and zip tied it. Traffic cones are every where. You just need a stanley knife.

So if you get caught, not only do you get charged with attempted theft/criminal damage, you also get a bonus charge of knife possession..

Many assumptions here.
    I work on a construction site.
    Feel free to use some imagination.
    Happy riding !
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Not sure what you're doing with your tape if it's coming off the cranks. I've had 3M stuff on my cheap fixed wheel for years.
  • joey54321
    oxoman wrote:
    Have tried various hi viz things over the years for commuting and by far the best is reflective spoke straws. I just put 8 on each wheel in 2 blocks of 4 opposite each other and when they turn and a light goes on them the whole wheel looks like it's lit up.
    See link, halfords also do them.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/TOOGOO-Bicycle ... 1482&psc=1

At that price a bit of a no brainer, just ordered 2 packs. Thanks!
  • deadlegs
    deadlegs Posts: 56
    Yesss spokey dokeys are back! I might get some, will they stay on aero spokes?
    Summer: Canyon Ultimate CF SL 2019
    Winter/Commuter: Planet X RT-58 6700
    Dead: Specialized Allez Elite 2009
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    joey54321 wrote:
    amrushton wrote:

lol, no, I don't have a solution, I would like a solution!

I'd say they would work better...but I don't always wear overshoes and I don't want to buy new shoes, I have trouble enough as it is to find comfortable cycling shoes without limiting it to fluro options.
    Stick a piece of reflective tape on your current shoes.