What's the best tactic for avoiding insects ending up inside my helmet?

bungle73
bungle73 Posts: 758
edited May 2019 in Road general
My previous helmet had a mesh, so it wasn't a problem, but the new doesn't. Was out riding the other day, felt something on my helmet, slammed on the brakes, removed glasses then the helmet, and there was a bee inside! I'm sure I've felt something to in on another occasion too, but when I removed the helmet I didn't see anything. I was thinking wearing cycling cap underneath the helmet might do?

Comments

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,410
    Cap.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    get some mesh and glue it in.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Cap or buff/bandana.

Don't overthink it though. If something can get in - it can get out. Or else your helmet won't be very aero.
  • bungle73

Could that not compromise the integrity of the foam?
  • bungle73
    cougie wrote:
    Cap or buff/bandana.

Don't overthink it though. If something can get in - it can get out. Or else your helmet won't be very aero.

Before I get stung though? I've never suffered a bee/wasp sting, and I don't relish the prospect. I think I'm going to go with the cap idea.
  • photonic69
    You could always put the mesh on your head and cover it entirely......

main-qimg-db33f5369f9d63143b3abc92223e2293

:lol:

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Wear a cap or skull cap. Wasps drove me mad last summer. Eventually I bought a summer skull cap and whilst it doesn't prevent them getting in the helmet, it stops them stinging your head.

Plus it stops sweat getting in your eyes.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Castelli-Summe ... gIDhvD_BwE
  • Condom

Sorry, had to be said.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My old helmet had mesh over the forward facing vents. None on current one or its predecessor and not seen it mentioned in any ads / tech details for other models.

Mesh wouldn't have saved me from my last bee related incident though. Little bugger got jammed between the top of my glasses and the front of the helmet, and stung me right in the middle of my forehead before I could stop. Didn't realise the sting was still in place till I'd cycled 3 miles home and looked in the mirror. So I got the full dose of venom which over the course of the next few days seemed to migrate down my whole face. At one point I looked like I'd just done 3 rounds with Anthony Joshua.

I'd still rather take my chances that wear a cap under the helmet in the summer. I love the amount of ventilation / head cooling through breeze. Think I'd overheat in a cap.
  • edward.s
    edward.s Posts: 219
    Kask do a set of pads with mesh inbetween for the Mohjito.
  • edward.s wrote:
    Kask do a set of pads with mesh inbetween for the Mohjito.
    And they are excellent. Mine have been in use already this year. I also wear a bandana, but am not related to Marco Pantani!!!
  • Had exactly this problem over the last week as weather been so glorious. One of the few potential downsides to spring/summer is copping a bee etc in the mush or getting one in the helmet (oo-er missus etc). Been too hot for a skull cap etc so just put up with it.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,372
    This thread reminded me of some useful advice I read on BR a few years ago.

As someone who is allergic to bee stings, I took the advice of a poster who also had a bee sting allergy who suggested putting an antihistamine in with the tool kit carried when out on the bike (I simply hadn't thought of this before). 12 Months or so later, I was stung by a bee whilst out one evening. Without that antihistamine, I could have been in big trouble
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    Keep your tackle tucked INSIDE your bib shorts.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    Spray liberally with DEET.
  • bungle73
    Actually, I just ordered some anti-insect mesh for the windows from Amazon. I wonder if I might be able to bodge some offcuts from that.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    One of these stylish little numbers?
    https://btrsports.co.uk/products/bicycl ... r-high-viz
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Generally I wear a synthetic cap in summer, sweat still wicks away an you feel the cool on your head, plus no bugs and you keep the pads fresher for longer.
  • photonic69
    Spray liberally with DEET.

Actually DON'T do this! DEET will attack and destroy a lot of plastics and will probably compromise your helmet.

• Matthewfalle
    Bungle73 wrote:

No. You are using a light adhesive like Airfix or similar not a nail gun.

#no

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Bungle73 wrote:
    Actually, I just ordered some anti-insect mesh for the windows from Amazon. I wonder if I might be able to bodge some offcuts from that.

Yes

#yes

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    Cycling cap
    left the forum March 2023
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    This reminds me. I had an insect land in the gap between glasses and helmet at the weekend but just turned my head 90 degrees and it blew away. Never been stung on the bike.
  • Has no one noticed the OP is the famous "Merlin charged me goods I ordered" Bungle73.

Wonder if they do caps, he could order one from there.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I've seen some insect mesh from Merlin with the intention of sandwiching it under the pads and cutting holes in the mesh where the velcro pads are on the helmet.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • meursault
    Has no one noticed the OP is the famous "Merlin charged me goods I ordered" Bungle73.

Wonder if they do caps, he could order one from there.

No, I do like an epic thread though.

Had a swine wasp get me on the inside thigh, end of summer last year. Not much pain but itched like B'stard for a few days.

Voltaire
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    A pal had a wasp go down the back of his jersey on a commute, then get wedged under his backpack.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    I had a fly go down my throat last spring, i pulled over and the volume of fluid my body dsecreted to get it out was staggering. It was like i was being sick after too many gins.
    Baclk on topic, I would suggest tsaking up crochet, then knit a nice over-hat, like the jockeys wear.
  • meursault
    I had a fly go down my throat last spring, i pulled over and the volume of fluid my body dsecreted to get it out was staggering. It was like i was being sick after too many gins.
    Baclk on topic, I would suggest tsaking up crochet, then knit a nice over-hat, like the jockeys wear.

Kickstarter? I'm in.

Voltaire
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Bungle73 wrote:

No. You are using a light adhesive like Airfix or similar not a nail gun.

#no

Or if you were too late reading this use the airfix adhesive to glue the helmet back together.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]