Prescribed lithium and cycling

shiznit76
shiznit76 Posts: 640
Hi, long shot, but has anyone here been prescribed lithium by their doctor and how has this impacted on cycling ability? I know hydration is likely to be the main issue, is it ok so long as ensure that keep well hydrated thtoughout the ride? I know this is a private issue for some so PM if you would prefer to not bring it out in public domain like this

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    This is something you need to be discussing with your consultant not seeking advice on here.
  • shiznit76
    asking for experiences not advice
  • webboo
    I have no experience of taking it but have worked with a lot of people who were taking it.
  • shiznit76
    did they cycle / do physical sports?
  • webboo
    One played Hockey at a high level. The others activity varied as did people’s individual doses of medication.
    This is why I suggested the discussion with your Consultant.
  • shiznit76
    cheers buddy. Will be asking them about it this week.
  • webboo
    I would be also asking about alternative meds unless you’ve tried others. Lithium works very well but it’s not usually the first choice these days.
  • shiznit76
    Webboo wrote:
    I would be also asking about alternative meds unless you’ve tried others. Lithium works very well but it’s not usually the first choice these days.

Yeah, tried others which haven't worked, that's why ended up with lithium
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,422
    I have both a sister and a mother-in-law that take Lithium. Unfortunately neither of them cycle so unable to comment on that aspect of it.
    However I can on the hydration POV. You need to keep very hydrated. MiL didn't/doesn't and the medication poisoned her due to build up in the body. She's better now than she was but still doesn't drink enough. Sister on the other hand almost over hydrates and is constantly off to the loo.
    For cycling I suppose it depends on weather/length of ride/how hard you go/how much you sweat etc. Each ride might be different though I would suggest that you drink frequently and factor in topping up your bottles en route and also leaping behind hedges when you need to go. Only you can evaluate if you are having enough water. Perhaps keep a diary of your rides and the conditions that day and the water consumed. Then discuss with doctor when you have your blood tested for levels (I'm assuming you do this regularly?) just to make sure you are having enough.

HTH

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• shiznit76
    Cheers, will be asking about the hydration aspect this week. I consciously do keep well hydrated so hope it won't be and issue, especially if use electrolytes in my bottles when out riding.
    Thanks for info though guys, it is appreciated.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Having been on that an Sodium Valporate I will agree with hydration, lots to drink if you can set a reminder for every 10-20 minutes or what ever your comfortable with. I know on Garmins you can do this and its easier than trying to remember.
    Hedge diving and water stops are very important. Would defiantly go with double bottling for rides, if you can take a pack of hydration tabs then do.
    Not sure if you get the same but when I was taking it I would literally be soaked in sweat at anything more than a brisk walk so may be worth either a short loop or a turbo session (with fan) to check first.

Drink wise go one bottle plain water another hydration mix, Lith can give you a bad stomach an sudden diarrhoea isn't fun.
  • shiznit76
    Thanks, appreciate your experience
  • shiznit76
    Step83 wrote:
    Having been on that an Sodium Valporate I will agree with hydration, lots to drink if you can set a reminder for every 10-20 minutes or what ever your comfortable with. I know on Garmins you can do this and its easier than trying to remember.
    Hedge diving and water stops are very important. Would defiantly go with double bottling for rides, if you can take a pack of hydration tabs then do.
    Not sure if you get the same but when I was taking it I would literally be soaked in sweat at anything more than a brisk walk so may be worth either a short loop or a turbo session (with fan) to check first.

Drink wise go one bottle plain water another hydration mix, Lith can give you a bad stomach an sudden diarrhoea isn't fun.

Were you on litium along with the valporate? Did you still manage to cycle alright so long as kept hydrated? Did the sewating not affect your bloods?
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    shiznit76 wrote:
    Were you on litium along with the valporate? Did you still manage to cycle alright so long as kept hydrated? Did the sewating not affect your bloods?

Thankfully no, I alternated lith was more for when it was bad, oddly enough Valp gave me more problems strong headaches etc, bloods wise my levels were always out of whack so it was no real difference, I would query it. If your doing physical exercise you may be able to get away with a lesser dosage.