**Paris - Roubaix 2019** **Spoiler Thread**

Comments

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Swiss national champ at the time. Not a total nobody.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    sherer wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    sherer wrote:
    im working all night , this is going to be a long day for me.

Important question is which beer should I drink with this race. Flanders was easy to find something decent, France is a bit harder

Roubaix is very close to the border with Belgium so the beer is like Flemish beer. Saisons and biere de garde are traditionally from Northern France and Belgium, so would be style appropriate to the race.

Pelforth is from Mons-en-Barœul, which is near to Roubaix, you should be able to buy this in the UK. Although it is now owned by Heineken. 3 Monts is also from French Flanders but not so close, and probably harder to find.

ive think ive had Pelforth a few times before. If I can find it think i'll go with that one.

Whilst I accept that the chances of finding any are zero, France is finally getting on board with the craft beers - usually the US, modern style or whatever you call it - Some of them are pretty decent too...

Tiffany Cromwell has started one with a few of the other Monaco sporting royalty in Nice for example and most valleys in The Alps have at least one. In somewhere as beer friendly as this, there must also be a few.

I'd like to say the Swiss are also getting on board, they are, but they cost a flipton more than normal beer... :roll:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    CarbonClem wrote:
    sherer wrote:
    Any chances of a British win ?

All on Luke Rowe as Stannard seems off the boil. No reason why he shouldn’t have his day if it all comes together but he’s yet to prove it. I’d love to see it, but ...

I reckon (my man) Doull is going to have a good race.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    ddraver wrote:
    sherer wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    sherer wrote:

Important question is which beer should I drink with this race. Flanders was easy to find something decent, France is a bit harder

Roubaix is very close to the border with Belgium so the beer is like Flemish beer. Saisons and biere de garde are traditionally from Northern France and Belgium, so would be style appropriate to the race.

Pelforth is from Mons-en-Barœul, which is near to Roubaix, you should be able to buy this in the UK. Although it is now owned by Heineken. 3 Monts is also from French Flanders but not so close, and probably harder to find.

ive think ive had Pelforth a few times before. If I can find it think i'll go with that one.

Whilst I accept that the chances of finding any are zero, France is finally getting on board with the craft beers - usually the US, modern style or whatever you call it - Some of them are pretty decent too...

Tiffany Cromwell has started one with a few of the other Monaco sporting royalty in Nice for example and most valleys in The Alps have at least one. In somewhere as beer friendly as this, there must also be a few.

I'd like to say the Swiss are also getting on board, they are, but they cost a flipton more than normal beer... :roll:
    I'm normally all for trying new craft beers (if I was there on holiday I would try to sample everything...) but for something like this I normally try and get something with a bit more heritage in the region. That might sound daft, and I guess it is to some extent.

If you live somewhere with a good bottle shop you should be able to find some French craft beers. In Manchester I go to Epicurean and Beermoth (city centre) and they have a pretty wide selection. Beermoth particularly gets some pretty esoteric stuff in. There's loads of those type of shops in London obviously.
  • Swiss national champ at the time. Not a total nobody.

Nobody in P-R is a 'nobody' :shock:
  • sherer wrote:

Hello, first post for me, but in my opinion the correct beer to drink during Paris - Roubaix is Ch'Ti Blonde. Good luck getting it in the UK though, the last place I saw it was Safeway which shows how long ago it was! Jupiler is an acceptable alternative, sold in pretty much every brasserie in Nord.
  • hommelbier
    hommelbier Posts: 1,555
    sherer wrote:

There is only one beer for P-R; Jenlain Ambree from Brasserie Duyck - widely available in Northern France so I always stock on the way back in Calais - used to be sold long ago in Sainsburys as French Country Beer.
    An old article from the Beer Hunter, Michael Jackson
    http://www.beerhunter.com/documents/19133-000129.html
  • bobmcstuff
    Nico Adie wrote:
    sherer wrote:

Hello, first post for me, but in my opinion the correct beer to drink during Paris - Roubaix is Ch'Ti Blonde. Good luck getting it in the UK though, the last place I saw it was Safeway which shows how long ago it was! Jupiler is an acceptable alternative, sold in pretty much every brasserie in Nord.
    Jupiler is cheap lager, made by AB Inbev, and is widely available in France (typical ski resort cheap lager as well).

Heavily do not recommend this, but if you decide you want it and can't find it then any cheap Euro lager will be an acceptable substitute...

The Ch'Ti looks a good recommendation, I haven't tried it though so couldn't comment. It's a biere de garde apparently so on style for the region and brewed locally too. I wonder if anyone near here has it :D
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    M.R.M. wrote:
    Probably anticipating this less than any edition since I got into the sport nearly 20 years ago. It just seems the big names are either retired or out of form - or maybe I'm just losing a bit of interest in pro cycling.

Still the other half is on a short break in Bergerac with our two (grown up) girls this weekend and our son never ventures downstairs except to grab some food so hopefully a good race to occupy my Sunday.
    It's unfortunate MvdP isn't riding. More excited about him than any rider since Sagan and Cavendish/Contador before.

There are some really special talents coming up after MvdP as well in Mikkel Bjerg, Filippo Ganna, Remco & possibly Pidcock.
    In many ways doesn't the lack of clear favourites/big names just make it more open?

In any case, there are some big names - Sagan is the biggest name in the sport at the moment, he's just not looking in top form right now.

I am choosing to look on the bright side and expect an interesting race...

Yes more open but don't you want these big races to be where the big names really settle who is top dog - just seem to be in a period where a couple of the young guns are still to establish themselves as real heavyweights and a couple of the existing heavyweights are coming into the race without top form or expectation.

We've probably been spoiled in recent years with Boonen vs Canc (even if it often failed to materialise), Sagan, GVA et al then from a British perspective Wiggins' attempt added a bit of interest. I know some of those names are still there just without as much expectation.

I'm sure the quality is still there I'm just bemoaning the lack of a pre race narrative if you like.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,597
    Pross wrote:
    CarbonClem wrote:
    sherer wrote:
    Any chances of a British win ?

All on Luke Rowe as Stannard seems off the boil. No reason why he shouldn’t have his day if it all comes together but he’s yet to prove it. I’d love to see it, but ...

I reckon (my man) Doull is going to have a good race.

Yes he’s looked good and did well early on. No reason why an unmarked man can’t do it :)
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • Nico Adie wrote:
    sherer wrote:

First post and it's a belter. I can heartily recommend Ch'ti, it reminds me of living in Lens 10 years ago.

And for a (different) flavour of the region, the film Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis is also a recommendation
  • I’ll get in with the often asked question:

Anyone hazard a guess as to what time they’ll reach Arenberg?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    I’ll get in with the often asked question:

Anyone hazard a guess as to what time they’ll reach Arenberg?
    Assuming they are starting at the same time it's usually 1.30-2.00 UK time. Bang on 2pm last year. Start watching nearer 1pm to be sure.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • peteco
    peteco Posts: 184
    Can’t wait for this. We were near Carrefour de l’Arbre last year, and aim to go back next year.
    We have plenty of Belgian beer ready.

Pete
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    I should mention that I dreamt the finish the other night.

Unusually, there was a three man breakaway and still a large peloton intact when they reached the infamous level crossing. It was down - but they've now put in a more substantial barrier - just like the one in the village I grew up in.
    Anyway, two riders made it through. A third rider got hit by a train. RIP Quick Step rider.
    The first two got yanked off the course and Nils Politt won the bunch sprint (possibly because I had already picked him for PTP)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Sainsbury's have left me town so it's a trip to Waitrose this morning. Hoping they can fix me up a better beer than Kronenberg.

Going to be jet lagged anyway so doubt I will drink too much, hopefully I can still watch it live though
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    sherer wrote:
    Sainsbury's have left me town so it's a trip to Waitrose this morning. Hoping they can fix me up a better beer than Kronenberg.

Going to be jet lagged anyway so doubt I will drink too much, hopefully I can still watch it live though

Well, they will if you go Belgian and have deep pockets.

Here is a piece that Rick etc will like. Why Monuments have monumental length and how "the longest hour" effects riders in different ways.

https://www.velonews.com/2019/04/analys ... art_492504
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,310
    Nico Adie wrote:
    sherer wrote:

First post and it's a belter. I can heartily recommend Ch'ti, it reminds me of living in Lens 10 years ago.

And for a (different) flavour of the region, the film Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis is also a recommendation

Yep, good first post.

La Goudale might be available in UK,it's in supermarkets in Denmark and looks like you might get it in Aldi. Originally brewed in Douai (only a few km from Arenberg!) but now production is in Arques (still not that far away from Roubaix)

It's a passable Bière de Garde/Belgian blonde style at 6%.

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/gayant-la ... -6/238840/

The brewery itself has a large range, including commissions for Aldi and others:
    https://www.ratebeer.com/brewers/brasse ... yant/1568/

In fact it looks like almost any blondish style beer you didn't recognise that you picked up in Aldi might come from there :-D
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • anjasola
    anjasola Posts: 145
    Just about perfect weather over here today and for the past few days, should be the same tomorrow and make for a good race.
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    I’ve got a Sub draught beer machine arriving today with Pelforth, La Chouffe and Delerium. Tomorrow should be a fun day!
  • bobmcstuff
    Beatmaker wrote:
    I’ve got a Sub draught beer machine arriving today with Pelforth, La Chouffe and Delerium. Tomorrow should be a fun day!
    Nice!!!
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    sherer wrote:

Just been to our local Waitrose after my morning ride...Westmalle Dubbel on offer at £1.71. Seemed reasonable to me, so I got some!
    Half man, Half bike
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Ridgerider wrote:
    sherer wrote:

Just been to our local Waitrose after my morning ride...Westmalle Dubbel on offer at £1.71. Seemed reasonable to me, so I got some!

St Stefanus is on offer there too, but unfortunately not the best of their bunch; Tripel Karmeliet.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    In hospital at the moment, means I'll get a near undisrupted viewing of tomorrows shenanigans. No beer but I'll live! Mixed blessings
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    Good Luck! Get well soon
  • sherer
    Went for a St Stephanus Blonde a Oude Geuze Boon.

Saw the Westmalle but ive had that before and Leffe ive had loads so added two new ones to the list
  • bobmcstuff
    sherer wrote:

Saw the Westmalle but ive had that before and Leffe ive had loads so added two new ones to the list
    Have you had that gueze/any gueze before?

Word of warning, it ain't like the others you mention. Not at all...
  • sherer
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    sherer wrote:

Not tried the brand at all.. just saw it and thought its a Belgium I've not had before.

What sort of beer is it ? I've got some back up beers anyway..

Thing is 1000 AM for me is actually 1600 in the afternoon for my time zone so technically I can drink all race long
  • bobmcstuff
    sherer wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    sherer wrote:

Not tried the brand at all.. just saw it and thought its a Belgium I've not had before.

Thing is 1000 AM for me is actually 1600 in the afternoon for my time zone so technically I can drink all race long

Gueze is a type of sour beer, the one you have is a good example of the style, but the style in general is something of an acquired taste. Very dry and sour.
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    sherer wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    sherer wrote:

Technically you can drink all race long anywhere.. what would be stopping me would be that If I was on Belgies from 10am I would be in a ditch before Arenberg