Weight loss

cycleclinic
cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
Travelled to Italy. Normally going to Italy I gain weight. This time even I have eaten, not ridden some walking but nothing excessive.

My weight has been stable at 85kg this year. 84 last.
This morning I am 80.4kg. either the scales are broken or i have lost weight over the last few days The question is why given I have not been trying and eating, pizza and other goodies.

Big weight changes don't happen to me normally which is why this.ome is odd.
http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,552
    i think i've got a couple of your missing kilos, they hitched a ride in the last few weeks

will try to return them

seriously though, only time i lost a few kilos in a few days was due to norovirus, you'd have noticed that

barring dehydration, losing a kilo needs a calorie deficit of nearly 8000kcal

i'd assume dodgy scales
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Travelled to Italy. Normally going to Italy I gain weight. This time even I have eaten, not ridden some walking but nothing excessive.

This morning I am 80.4kg. either the scales are broken or i have lost weight over the last few days The question is why given I have not been trying and eating, pizza and other goodies.

Depending on when was the last time you weighed yourself, a genuine 5kg loss in a matter of days should be a red flag.
  • "Paul Kimmage asked Brailsford precisely how Peter Kennaugh had managed - by his own admission - to lose five kilograms since he lined up at the Tour de Romandie in late April.

"Through calorie deficit," Brailsford said"
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Is this using the same set of scales? I find different scales vary enormously so I only ever use the ones at home. They may be wrong but if so, it's consistent.

If you have actually just lost 3.5kg without trying, that might be a cause for concern. Apart from the magical weight loss do you feel well?
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Few possible variants ( I would assume combo of below)

Dehydration
    Bad scales (yours or in Italy)
    You were not 85kg before the flight
    Serious sickness
  • If I try exceptionally hard to lose weight for a week by fasting, lots of exercise I can lose quite a few kg, perhaps 4-7kg but then I'm a thickset male of 6'2" height and while fat lose is in there, I think I will also lose some water and pass some weight at the toilet. I would guess my calorie requirements per day are 4000-5000 calories plus whatever exercise I can do on top of that. Unfortunately most of the time I don't have the will power to reduce my calorie intake much but occasionally I really go for it and the weight loss can be quite dramatic.

I often find if I make just a little effort, eat a little bit more sensibly or do a bit of exercise it makes no different to my weight as if my body somehow is keeping me at my current weight but if I make a very strong effort the results can be dramatic quite quickly. I.e. if I did a little bit of exercise for 7 days in a row the results would be poor or non-existent compared to doing a huge amount of exercise on one day which would equate to the same amount of exercise. I have to force my body into a huge calorie deficit to get results rather than multiple small calorie deficits. I've never seen a huge amount of weight loss without a huge amount of effort going into it.
  • imposter2.0
    If I try exceptionally hard to lose weight for a week by fasting, lots of exercise I can lose quite a few kg, perhaps 4-7kg but then I'm a thickset male of 6'2" height and while fat lose is in there, I think I will also lose some water and pass some weight at the toilet. I would guess my calorie requirements per day are 4000-5000 calories plus whatever exercise I can do on top of that. Unfortunately most of the time I don't have the will power to reduce my calorie intake much but occasionally I really go for it and the weight loss can be quite dramatic.

I often find if I make just a little effort, eat a little bit more sensibly or do a bit of exercise it makes no different to my weight as if my body somehow is keeping me at my current weight but if I make a very strong effort the results can be dramatic quite quickly. I.e. if I did a little bit of exercise for 7 days in a row the results would be poor or non-existent compared to doing a huge amount of exercise on one day which would equate to the same amount of exercise. I have to force my body into a huge calorie deficit to get results rather than multiple small calorie deficits. I've never seen a huge amount of weight loss without a huge amount of effort going into it.

Cool story, but how is this relevant to the OP?
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    I would guess my calorie requirements per day are 4000-5000 calories plus whatever exercise I can do on top of that.

Says every overweight person in denial that they are overweight. Not a chance that is your calorie requirement.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I was out for 3 hours on the bike on Saturday, and did a hillier route than I'd planned when my demented Garmin decided to inflict repeated "route calculation errors" on me. It reckoned I'd still only burned 1000 calories.

WTAF are you doing to get through 4-5000 calories a day before any exercise??? Are you a scaffolder??
  • imposter2.0
    keef66 wrote:
    Are you a scaffolder??

or 'old school' hod carrier...
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,417

Any change of bowel habits? Looseness or fast transit of food/stomach feeling empty all the time?
    If so go to your GP as soon as you return from holidays. It could be any number of things but get it checked ASAP.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Craigus89 wrote:
    I would guess my calorie requirements per day are 4000-5000 calories plus whatever exercise I can do on top of that.

Says every overweight person in denial that they are overweight. Not a chance that is your calorie requirement.

I used this site to calculate.

https://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html

When I say 'whatever exercise I can do on top of that' I mean in addition to my normal amount of exercise not no exercise at all. I'd be very surprised if the figure I gave was inaccurate in anyway. When I increase my exercise and actually manage to reduce what I eat the weight loss is very high. I'm under no illusions about my weight at all and can predict my weight loss or weight gain quite accurately based on my level of exercise and what I have eaten.

That is my point normally weight gain and weight loss can be explained when you just analyse your recent pattern of activity and food consumption. For me I don't get any mystery weight loss or weight gains just minor fluctuations in what I was expecting.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,557
    Craigus89 wrote:

When I say 'whatever exercise I can do on top of that' I mean in addition to my normal amount of exercise not no exercise at all. I'd be very surprised if the figure I gave was inaccurate in anyway. When I increase my exercise and actually manage to reduce what I eat the weight loss is very high. I'm under no illusions about my weight at all and can predict my weight loss or weight gain quite accurately based on my level of exercise and what I have eaten.

That is my point normally weight gain and weight loss can be explained when you just analyse your recent pattern of activity and food consumption. For me I don't get any mystery weight loss or weight gains just minor fluctuations in what I was expecting.

Really? I just threw in figures for a moderately active 25 year old, 6' 8" and weighing 20 stone and it still 'only' came out as 3,500 calories. I think you might be talking nonsense unless your normal daily exercise is about 5-6 hours of intense work.
  • Pross

If you lost nearly 5kg in a few days you would notice. I've lost around that in the past at around a similar starting weight but over 3 weeks of hard dieting and my jeans were literally falling off me at the end. Broken scales are by far and away the most likely reason. If it looks like you have genuinely lost that amount then get to a doctor.
  • Pross wrote:
    Craigus89 wrote:

Really? I just threw in figures for a moderately active 25 year old, 6' 8" and weighing 20 stone and it still 'only' came out as 3,500 calories. I think you might be talking nonsense unless your normal daily exercise is about 5-6 hours of intense work.

WelI I do about 1-2hours exercise normally per day on an exercise bike at the highest friction level and the bike calorie read out is probably about 800 calories but doesn't take account of my weight and I've been told to adjust that upwards significantly more. I typically exercise while watching youtube videos as I have a tablet strapped to the handlebars. Somedays I do significantly more and do exercise in the evening as well. I'm over 20 stone too. The calorie requirements of men and woman are different by 500 calories per days which is a small weight and height difference. Again if you are carrying an extra 50kg for example where-ever you go and whatever you do this clearly takes a large amount of energy. Effectively you are saying that if you get 2 men of 60kg each, each needing 2,500 calories per day and you have one man of 120kg and both do the same activity lets say walking 6 miles in total over the day somehow the obese man gets energy for free and only needs 3,000 calories compared to 5,000. Admittedly there are 2 brains with the 2 people and the brain takes about 300 calories on its own per day but still most other calories consumed are to do with activity. Top athletes might need 8,000 calories per day and the most extreme I've read is 12,000. Sumo wrestlers consume 20,000 calories per day to maintain their weight. I've found it easier to have extreme weight loss when I was very heavy and as I've lost weight it's been harder to lose weight as I wasn't carrying as much weight day to day. So carrying an extra 50kg accelerates my weight loss more than carrying an extra 25kg.

I honestly think your viewpoint is utterly ridiculous without any science or logic so we will agree to differ as they say. I'd certainly be interested in your viewpoint or theory perhaps on how somehow obese people have some sort of natural anti-gravity field in order to move their extra weight at no or little energy cost.

https://www.lingualift.com/blog/what-su ... lers-diet/
  • Pross
    Pross wrote:
    Craigus89 wrote:

WelI I do about 1-2hours exercise normally per day on an exercise bike at the highest friction level and the bike calorie read out is probably about 800 calories but doesn't take account of my weight and I've been told to adjust that upwards significantly more. I typically exercise while watching youtube videos as I have a tablet strapped to the handlebars. Somedays I do significantly more and do exercise in the evening as well. I'm over 20 stone too. The calorie requirements of men and woman are different by 500 calories per days which is a small weight and height difference. Again if you are carrying an extra 50kg for example where-ever you go and whatever you do this clearly takes a large amount of energy. Effectively you are saying that if you get 2 men of 60kg each, each needing 2,500 calories per day and you have one man of 120kg and both do the same activity lets say walking 6 miles in total over the day somehow the obese man gets energy for free and only needs 3,000 calories compared to 5,000. Admittedly there are 2 brains with the 2 people and the brain takes about 300 calories on its own per day but still most other calories consumed are to do with activity. Top athletes might need 8,000 calories per day and the most extreme I've read is 12,000. Sumo wrestlers consume 20,000 calories per day to maintain their weight. I've found it easier to have extreme weight loss when I was very heavy and as I've lost weight it's been harder to lose weight as I wasn't carrying as much weight day to day. So carrying an extra 50kg accelerates my weight loss more than carrying an extra 25kg.

I honestly think your viewpoint is utterly ridiculous without any science or logic so we will agree to differ as they say. I'd certainly be interested in your viewpoint or theory perhaps on how somehow obese people have some sort of natural anti-gravity field in order to move their extra weight at no or little energy cost.

https://www.lingualift.com/blog/what-su ... lers-diet/

Um, no I haven't taken a viewpoint I just used the calculator you are relying on and plugged in some figures to find out how big you need to be in order to need 4,000 to 5,000 calories a day (bearing in mind you add for additional exercise as well). 1000 calories is also a massive variance, a change of 1000 calories per day can account for a 2lb weight loss over a week. I'm also not sure why your weight would have an impact on how many calories you're burning on an exercise bike as you are not moving any mass (unless you are riding out of the saddle). The calories you quote for athletes are irrelevant as you have already said you add on for any additional activity you do so effectively your 4000-5000 calories is just your BMR. If you are a professional rugby player or NFL player then maybe you are using that many calories in a day but if not I seriously doubt it. I'm not debating that a heavier person uses more calories, just that unless you are both highly active and heavy (which is a rare combination outside of serious athletes) then 4,000 - 5,000 is unlikely. As pointed out by Imposter it also has zero relevance to the original topic.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Same scales. i was 83kg this morning. I did not fly to Italy I drove.

Dodgy scales is possible but when they flatter why replace them.

My normal calorie intake is around 3500kcal sometimes more. I eat. I don't hold back.

If the scales are not dodgy my weight has started to flucuate. Possible IBS maybe thats a a reason.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • andyh01
    andyh01 Posts: 599
    @ Pross & Bonzo; my limited knowledge is that it's muscle that needs fuel, so whilst two people may weigh the same, their body fat % if different will effect the amount of calories needed to maintain the same weight, I think. If the more muscular person with no fat reserves reduc d their calories their bodies would start eating away at the muscles, whereas if the person with higher body fat cut their calories then the body will start to eat into the fat reserves.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,353
    Possible IBS maybe thats a a reason.

I had that for just under a fortnight. It was hell and followed the trauma of my mother having a brain haemorrhage. (She survived. Contradiction of Warfarin and Fluconazole).
    I learned quickly (in my case) that there were triggers - butter. spreads, oil etc Fats basically. Eventually, it stabilised and it wasn't too long before I was back to a normal diet.
    But don't self diagnose/Google/seek forum advice; go and see your quack.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,417

So have you noticed a change in bowel habits? Loose? More frequent? Gas? Gurgling? etc MIght be IBD - Crohns or Colitis etc.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    PhotoNic69 wrote:

So have you noticed a change in bowel habits? Loose? More frequent? Gas? Gurgling? etc MIght be IBD - Crohns or Colitis etc.
    He hasn’t posted on here for a bit. I hope he’s not having to be nursed in isolation somewhere as a result of having the galloping wild sh*tes