GP4000 may be knackered? Advice please

2»

Comments

• kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    handful wrote:
    I'm not putting it back on again to take a photo, it's bloomin hard work getting it on a Hunt wheel and usually results in a couple of broken levers! The photo may not be the best,I will try again, one of the damaged area and another on the normal wear indicators to give a better perspective.
    [url][/url]IMG_20190408_111402.jpg
    IMG_20190408_111504.jpg

The bulge was around 10mm x 5mm and probably 3mm higher than the tyre surface should be. It's a definite "weak spot" and I've convinced myself it's not worth risking. I had a blow out coming down Cheddar Gorge a couple of years ago and although miraculously I didn't actually fall off I don't want a repeat! If I poke my finger into the inside of the casing it feels like I could force it through with some effort. I probably couldn't but it feels like it.

Switch to pirelli p-zero - easier on off - and perform at least as well as the GP4000
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,853
    Spotted a ~5mm sidewall gash on my front GP4000S II yesterday, thanks to the bright pink latex tube, after heading out Friday afternoon to West Marden. Don't recall any specific sketchy moments, but a few lanes like Harvesting Lane looked like they had more loose stones on the tarmac than I remember (all the recent rain?).

Given I hit ~30mph+ while freewheeling down several cat4 descents, looks like I will be condemning that front ~12 month old tyre to the bin before heading out later.

Guess I'll throw a 28mm GP4 Season back on the front for today at least, while thinking about maybe buying a 25mm GP4000S II (to try a more aero front tyre instead of the 28s that balloon out to ~31mm on my Hunt's 17mm rims ;) ) for ~£27 from Halfords .
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo