GP4000 may be knackered? Advice please

handful
handful Posts: 920
edited June 2019 in Road general
I suffered a rare puncture on a GP4000S II this week and repaired the puncture today. When I pumped it back up I noticed a bulge. Tyre back off again which is no mean feat with my Hunt wheels and realised the tyre is actually holed through the casing.

Would the advice be to get rid and replace or could I put something on the inside of the tyre like a bit of kevlar tape or something like that? It's a shame to have to bin it, plenty of life in it yet! Photos of inside and outside below.

[url][/url]IMG_20190406_111651.jpg
[url][/url]IMG_20190406_111621.jpg
Thanks in advance
Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
Orbea Rise

Comments

• pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    You could patch it from the inside. I personally just bin a tyre when it gets damaged like that, but I have disposable income and can afford to just replace it. The other reason why is because I do descend at silly speeds and prefer to not take a risk with tyres.

PP
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    You could patch it from the inside. I personally just bin a tyre when it gets damaged like that, but I have disposable income and can afford to just replace it. The other reason why is because I do descend at silly speeds and prefer to not take a risk with tyres.

PP
    I'm rich too and I replace my tyres after every ride (actually I get my manservant to do it for me).

I would never ever stick an inner tube patch on it and keep and eye in case the tear propogates. For this reason I would never have ever found out that it probably won't propogate before the rest of the tyre wears out.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    I meant put a tyre boot in there (to patch the hole), such as the Park TB-2. That is an option for someone who might not want to buy a new tyre. I personally wouldn’t risk it, but each to their own.

PP
  • Pilot Pete wrote:

PP
    I'm rich too and I replace my tyres after every ride (actually I get my manservant to do it for me).

I would never ever stick an inner tube patch on it and keep and eye in case the tear propogates. For this reason I would never have ever found out that it probably won't propogate before the rest of the tyre wears out.

I'm so rich I pay someone else to ride for me so holes in tyres never an issue.
  • What's a new tyre cost?
    What does a head plant onto our wonderful road surfaces cost?
  • handful
    Thanks gents, confirmed my own thoughts really! New tyre ordered!
    Orbea Rise
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Pilot Pete wrote:

PP

Vtech, is that you..?
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Send me the knackered one and I'll recycle it for you ....
  • handful
    Send me a postage paid label and you are welcome to it!
    Orbea Rise
  • sam_anon
    sam_anon Posts: 153
    handful wrote:

Bikeradar freecycle, love it!

Excuse my ignorance, but doesn't every puncture mean a hole in the tyre?
  • sam anon wrote:
    handful wrote:

Not necessarily as you can get pinch flats where the inner tube pinches against the wheel rim or spoke end and punctures that way but tyre is fine. Most though are thorns, glass etc which will hole tyre. Personally I would patch from inside and reuse. I can easily afford new tyres every week but why if it's not necessary.
  • Imposter wrote:
    Pilot Pete wrote:

PP

Vtech, is that you..?

Please god no!
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Pilot Pete wrote:

PP

I replace wheels and tyres, just to be on the safe side.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    sam anon wrote:
    handful wrote:

Not necessarily. The rim tape could slip and a spoke head wears a hole in the tube, or there's a burr at the valve hole, or the valve stem simply fails where it meets the tube. Once I left a Park tyre boot in place for too long and the edge rubbed a hole in the tube. And then there's the already mentioned pinch flat. Oh, and in my case I suppose it's theoretically possible that a previous puncture repair patch could fail. Not happened yet but it might...
  • keef66
    @O.P. - isn't that second photo from the outside just showing one of the dimples which act as wear indicators?
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    keef66 wrote:
    @O.P. - isn't that second photo from the outside just showing one of the dimples which act as wear indicators?

I thought the same
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Can we see it pumped up ? A bulge would make me very wary of the tyre. I can't see much wrong with that tyre as it is ? And yes looks like a wear indicator to me too.
  • handful
    I'm not putting it back on again to take a photo, it's bloomin hard work getting it on a Hunt wheel and usually results in a couple of broken levers! The photo may not be the best,I will try again, one of the damaged area and another on the normal wear indicators to give a better perspective.
    [url][/url]IMG_20190408_111402.jpg
    IMG_20190408_111504.jpg

The bulge was around 10mm x 5mm and probably 3mm higher than the tyre surface should be. It's a definite "weak spot" and I've convinced myself it's not worth risking. I had a blow out coming down Cheddar Gorge a couple of years ago and although miraculously I didn't actually fall off I don't want a repeat! If I poke my finger into the inside of the casing it feels like I could force it through with some effort. I probably couldn't but it feels like it.
    Orbea Rise
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    Maybe ditch the inhouse recycling scheme :)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Aah right. Yes I'd bin that then. Ta for the extra pics.
  • keef66
    Better photos. Does look like something's taken a chunk out of it which matches the casing damage.

Sad but I'd agree with your better safe than sorry approach. Very hard to repair a road tyre satisfactorily given the inflation pressures. If it's bulging then the casing's clearly compromised. And having suffered a front blowout while descending, It's not an experience I'd like to repeat.
  • If you are struggling with Hunt rims (who doesn't?) a Kool Tool works wonders. I carry one permanently on the bike.
  • handful
    Thanks Franco, I have been looking at what options there were for making the job easier. I also found the VAR lever which looks like it may be a bit more portable.
    Orbea Rise
  • I found that a Kool Tool just exacy fits inside an old style SIS drinks bottle. Screw the lid on tight and if doesn't rattle.
    Scares the s**t out of me having a puncture and only having basic tyre levers.

I'll have a look at the VAR lever you mention.
  • First.Aspect
    cougie wrote:
    Ah. You will need to send Jeeves down to the Harrods sports department and get some replacements with natural rubber tread and Egyptian cotton casings.
  • First.Aspect
    cougie wrote:
    Ah, that is indeed beyond use. You will need to send Jeeves down to the Harrods sports department and get some replacements with natural rubber tread and Egyptian cotton casings. You will need to replace both front and rear, obviously.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Ah, that is indeed beyond use. You will need to send Jeeves down to the Harrods sports department and get some replacements with natural rubber tread and Egyptian cotton casings.

Nonsense. Harrods will deliver for an extra £400. Jeeves can carry on polishing the silverware in the smoking room...
  • First.Aspect
    Imposter wrote:
    Ah, that is indeed beyond use. You will need to send Jeeves down to the Harrods sports department and get some replacements with natural rubber tread and Egyptian cotton casings.

Nonsense. Harrods will deliver for an extra £400. Jeeves can carry on polishing the silverware in the smoking room...
    Why would I have the butler doing the housekeepers tasks. Besides, my driver can have him there and back faster than home delivery.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    handful wrote:
    I'm not putting it back on again to take a photo, it's bloomin hard work getting it on a Hunt wheel and usually results in a couple of broken levers! The photo may not be the best,I will try again, one of the damaged area and another on the normal wear indicators to give a better perspective.
    [url][/url]IMG_20190408_111402.jpg
    IMG_20190408_111504.jpg

The bulge was around 10mm x 5mm and probably 3mm higher than the tyre surface should be. It's a definite "weak spot" and I've convinced myself it's not worth risking. I had a blow out coming down Cheddar Gorge a couple of years ago and although miraculously I didn't actually fall off I don't want a repeat! If I poke my finger into the inside of the casing it feels like I could force it through with some effort. I probably couldn't but it feels like it.

I would feel awkward about a hole like that but then I’d forget it was there. If it worries you try one of those plastic park tyre boots, they work really well.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    I'd cut the tyre up and use it as tyre boots.