Di2?

Comments

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Ryan_W wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    I wouldn't bother with Dura Ace Di2 when Ultegra Di2 does the job exactly the same. Operation, functionality, reliability and feel are identical.

Not true, Di2 is notably sharper / more precise than Ui2. I've tried many bikes back to back and Di2 is definitely silkier through the gears.

Ui2 is still awesome, but it isn't Di2.

Do Dura Ace Di2 owners call the Ultegra edition Ui2 now? I presume that’s to give them some kind of smug superiority?

I think i Ui2 has been an unofficial name since it was launched. I've certainly heard it before
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Ryan_W wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    I wouldn't bother with Dura Ace Di2 when Ultegra Di2 does the job exactly the same. Operation, functionality, reliability and feel are identical.

Not true, Di2 is notably sharper / more precise than Ui2. I've tried many bikes back to back and Di2 is definitely silkier through the gears.

Ui2 is still awesome, but it isn't Di2.

Do Dura Ace Di2 owners call the Ultegra edition Ui2 now? I presume that’s to give them some kind of smug superiority?

or just an easy way of differentiating between the two as they are different groupsets?

or is it Ui2 owners a bit miffed off because they don't have dura ace Di2 and can't pretend they have?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    or is it Ui2 owners a bit miffed off because they don't have dura ace Di2 and can't pretend they have?

I wouldn't know, I use EPS.
  • Matthewfalle

sensible choice.

eTap
    EPS
    That Rotor stuff that looks cool
    Di2
    Ui2

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211

sensible choice.

eTap
    EPS
    Di2
    Ui2

Trolling as usual :roll:
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • surfercyclist
    surfercyclist Posts: 894
    edited April 2019
    Deleted as duplicate post.
  • Another point I like about Di2 is the ability to display gear selection on my bike computer(Bolt). I assume the other electronic gearing can also do this(?). Anyway, personally I find it very handy as it saves me looking back at cassette to see what gear I'm in. Yes, a silly habit but something I used to do with manual gears and usually up a steep climb in the vain hope of seeing another gear to change down into!
  • Matthewfalle
    philthy3 wrote:

sensible choice.

eTap
    EPS
    Di2
    Ui2

errr - no. personal opinion like everyone has posted in this thread and like they have in and every other. just because you don't like someone's personal opinion it is isn't trolling.

perhaps you should look up the meaning of trolling before posting. Or are you trolling yourself - it definitely seems that way. :(

eTap and EPS imo works nicer, are prettier, nicer shaped hoods, more technologically advancing. eTap is wireless, EPS is lovely. The Rotor stuff has an extra speed, is completely different technologically, looks nicer, is ergonomically better, and is a novel and excellent way of solving the problem with none of the hassles that keep on cropping up re firmware etc.

Di2/Ui2 is just, well, Di2 and Ui2. We know what it is and what it does. Efficient.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    When I had my bike made I went with Ultegra DI2, or Ui2, or whatever we want to call it. It has been great, super reliable, and other than replacing the battery after 4 years of use it hasn't missed a beat and I'm super happy with it. If I was choosing now it would be a tough choice between Shimano and Campag options, but the one thing that turns me off Campag is the thumb shifter. In the shop it just looks and feels "in the way" a bit, I like hoods being uncluttered and that definitely isn't. It may well be one of those "don't knock it until you've tried it" things....
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    philthy3 wrote:

sensible choice.

eTap
    EPS
    Di2
    Ui2

errr - no. personal opinion like everyone has posted in this thread and like they have in and every other. just because you don't like someone's personal opinion it is isn't trolling.

perhaps you should look up the meaning of trolling before posting. Or are you trolling yourself - it definitely seems that way. :(

eTap and EPS imo works nicer, are prettier, nicer shaped hoods, more technologically advancing. eTap is wireless, EPS is lovely. The Rotor stuff has an extra speed, is completely different technologically, looks nicer, is ergonomically better, and is a novel and excellent way of solving the problem with none of the hassles that keep on cropping up re firmware etc.

Di2/Ui2 is just, well, Di2 and Ui2. We know what it is and what it does. Efficient.

You're trolling and you know it.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Matthewfalle
    philthy3 wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:

sensible choice.

eTap
    EPS
    Di2
    Ui2

You're trolling and you know it.

Nuh - nuhhh. Incorrect.

Yet again you have failed to understand the term. Please stop using it as you don't understand it.
    Are you like this with everyone who doesn't agree with you?

Just because some stuff is better than the stuff you bought doesn't make that opinion wrong or trolling.

As an aside, we don't tend to see many eTap or any EPS or Rotor issues on here but there does seem to be a Di2/Ui2 one every week - in fact I think the there are 3 going on at the moment in Road Workshop alone - surely that says something by itself?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Well Team SKY/Ineos use Di2 and SKY are masters of the marginal gain(think Brailsford pioneered it for cycling). Anyway, if another system was better even very slightly then pretty sure they would have ditched it in favour of the "better" system regardless of sponsorship deal. Do you REALLY think SKY and Brailsford would continue to use a lesser gear change system?

But whatever, who cares. Use what you want.
  • Matthewfalle
    they get paid to use it and its efficient, so yes, they will use it.

much like many of your posts, do you actually think these things through?

and yes i will. thank you for letting me do that.

#moneytalks

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Eh? Think things through? Such as?
  • Matthewfalle
    the above

your comments on the wheel thread

to start with

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Yawn, whatever. Sorry #whatever so you will understand. You are rather obviously one of the individuals who are convinced that their opinion is the only one that matters, that all others are incorrect so you blather on and on in the hope that endless posts will prove you right.

Being outed as a Saturday girl at Halfords has definitely touched a nerve :lol:
  • Matthewfalle
    mate

i hope you're funnier at whatever club you ride with because your forum bicycing bants are sh1t.

#newbieclubbie
    #notpro

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Yawn, whatever. Sorry #whatever so you will understand. You are rather obviously one of the individuals who are convinced that their opinion is the only one that matters, that all others are incorrect so you blather on and on in the hope that endless posts will prove you right.

Being outed as a Saturday girl at Halfords has definitely touched a nerve :lol:

Just ignore him, don’t get dragged in . . . Sometimes his posts are informative, occasionally useful, often confrontational . . . A bit harsh to call him a troll but you can see the pattern . . . Just take what’s useful from his posts, ignore the rest, after all he’s got loads of posts so that must mean something right?
    Got a place in the Pyrenees.
    Do bike and ski stuff.
  • mate

i hope you're funnier at whatever club you ride with because your forum bicycing bants are sh1t.

#newbieclubbie
    #notpro

Looool, I reckon nerve touched there! Never mind, minimum wage increased today so make sure Halfords pay you what's right.

mate
  • Matthewfalle
    anyhow, whats wrong with people who work at halfords?

bizarrely i didn't, but generally they are as good as people in the lbs.

and whats your problem with people living on the minimum wage? are they not good enough for you?

you're starting to sound like more a cock than normal really.

#fella
    #sh1tbants

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    As an aside, we don't tend to see many eTap or any EPS or Rotor issues on here but there does seem to be a Di2/Ui2 one every week - in fact I think the there are 3 going on at the moment in Road Workshop alone - surely that says something by itself?

I think you'll find that there are more threads/posts on Di2 issues is because there are considerably more people with Di2 than any of the other electronic groupsets and naturally there will be more people with problems/issues. If EPS was the dominant groupset then we'd see more questions/threads regarding problems/issues with it.

In relation to the OP, I recently bought a new frameset and stripped the 6800 off my old bike and seriously considered upgrading to Di2 for the build but didn't purely because it was heavier and I have been using 6800 for the last 3 years without a single issue. Maybe if I came across a Di2 upgrade kit for my bike at a reasonable price I would consider it, but €500 is too expensive for something I don't actually need.
  • anyhow, whats wrong with people who work at halfords?

and whats your problem with people living on the minimum wage? are they not good enough for you?

you're starting to sound like more a fool than normal really.

#fella
    #sh1tbants

Lol you're REALLY biting now! Keep it up, you're killing us.
  • Matthewfalle
    not realky - just now intrigued as to your feelings on Halfordes and, more importantly , those on a minimum wage.

#intrigued

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • No issues with Halfords or minimum wage.
    What IS intriguing is your defensiveness about both.
    # Nerve
    #Touched
    #Spellcheck
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    MugenSi wrote:

I think you'll find that there are more threads/posts on Di2 issues is because there are considerably more people with Di2 than any of the other electronic groupsets and naturally there will be more people with problems/issues. If EPS was the dominant groupset then we'd see more questions/threads regarding problems/issues with it.

This, the EPS or Rotor market share compared to Di2 or Sram is a different world. Last stats I saw had Shimano at 70% of the total component market. Subjectively, I seem to recall EPS having multiple issues when it was first launched, certainly my local LBS struggled with it.
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    anyhow, whats wrong with people who work at halfords?

you're starting to sound like more a fool than normal really.

#fella
    #sh1tbants

Lol you're REALLY biting now! Keep it up, you're killing us.

Not 'us, just you. Please stop being a knob and trying to get a rise out of other forum members.

Back to OP, Di2 all the way as I have already stated.

However, I will say Ui2 8050 is equal to the last gen Di2 9070. I also think it looks better than 9070.

But Di2 91*0 is just a step above. The greater machining accuracy of components just gives it the edge, and being lighter and more exotic makes it more appealing to many.

I would not build a 'superbike' and use a second tier groupset / component on one. Ui2 has its place for sure, also with its capability to run up to a 36T(?) cassette, it's great for those who suffer on hills and / or want to do some off road / gravel riding.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • Thanks for the advice, I won't take it.

Anyway, no such thing as Ui2. It's Di2 which stands for Digital Integrated Intelligence. So, doesn't refer to Dura Ace at all. A bike with an Ultegra groupset will have Di2.
  • KevinA
    KevinA Posts: 492
    Quick update

Bike is currently in the shop having the ultegra 8050 installed

Had to buy a new bottom bracket so went a C-Bear ceramic BB and also picked up the Bluetooth connector.

Thanks for everyone’s help
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Thanks for the advice, I won't take it.

Anyway, no such thing as Ui2. It's Di2 which stands for Digital Integrated Intelligence. So, doesn't refer to Dura Ace at all. A bike with an Ultegra groupset will have Di2.

true.

anyway, DI2 is great when it works. i'll leave it there. this threads a bit of a car crash...
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    I just got Ultegra Di2 basically for free on a discounted new bike. Two rides in and I'm hating it. Those bloody levers are way too small and close together. Why didn't Shimano take an opportunity to design the system properly instead of trying to copy the mechanical lever setup? (and failing miserably IMO).

A thumb button on the inside of the brake hood for downshifts would be much more useable. A bit like how the MTB shifters work. Click with the index finger for up, press with the thumb for down.